OS X 10.11 Wish List

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Since we're already thinking about iOS 9, I see no reason why we shouldn't start thinking about Mac OS X 10.11 as well. If the two most recent OS X release dates are any indication, then we should see a public OS X 10.11 release sometime around mid- to late October of this year.

First, let's look at ten possible names for OS X 10.11, as proposed by Macworld:

OS X Cupertino
    OS X Hollywood
    OS X San Francisco Bay
    OS X Death Valley
    OS X Mojave
    OS X Buttonwillow
    OS X Hillcrest
    OS X Long Beach
    OS X Lake Tahoe
    OS X Sequoia

Which of these do you like, and which do you hate? Also, feel free to share your own name ideas for OS X 10.11.

Now, about that OS X 10.11 Wish List, here's something that I would like to see. We're familiar with Dynamic Wallpapers on iOS, abandoned by Apple as they may be. Why not have Dynamic Wallpapers on OS X? Firstly, the fact that these would consume some extra processing power as compared to static wallpapers wouldn't be a huge issue, as Macs have plenty more raw horsepower than even the most powerful iOS device. Secondly, MacBooks' batteries can store much more power than any iOS device's battery can. And as far as desktop Macs are concerned, since they run on AC power—or MacBooks used strictly as a main computer, since plenty of users who fall into this category keep their MacBook plugged in all the time—the battery consumption point becomes moot.

If you to go www.bing.com, you'll notice that they often have a nicely and subtly animated "webpage wallpaper" (i.e. the background image for the website is animated). The more I see these, the more I wish I could make my iMac's desktop wallpaper animated as well.

Animated wallpapers are obviously already possible on OS X using third-party tools (see this article, for example), but it would be nice if OS X offered this capability without need for add-ons, third-party apps, and such.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I wonder when they'll switch over to OS XI 11.0?

I like Mojave and Sequoia, but the rest are lame IMO. If I were naming the OS I'd probably go with OS X Orion, or OS X Andromeda and the like.

I think dynamic wallpapers would be cool as a "screensaver" type option but they might be a distraction if you working on certain tasks. It would be a cool option though, as long as it could be easily toggled between static and dynamic modes.

As far as my own wish list suggestions, I got nothin' at the moment.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Would it be too much to ask for a WiFi connection that doesn't drop?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Really? I have not experienced that in the least bit, and my iMac isn't even one of the newer ones (it is the Late 2009 model). My iMac is fairly close to the combination modem/router (I have the one that Comcast lets you rent). I'm guessing distance isn't what's causing your Wi-Fi woes. My Wi-Fi performance is rock solid—on Yosemite now, on Mavericks before, and on Mountain Lion before that.

I hate to give you such a low-tech suggestion, and I'm only halfway kidding, but have you tried the beer can thing with your router?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't ever had a problem with it on my iMac, but it's a fairly well-known problem on the MacBooks on Yosemite. It seems to be related to the firmware and troubleshooting the router doesn't help. I haven't heard anything about it recently, so I thought maybe Apple had fixed it. Here's a thread we have regarding the problem. I posted a link for a workaround in that thread.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It happens on my router and more frequently at my in-laws. I use a hard-wired ethernet connection through my Thunderbolt connector. However, a lot of times I'll leave WiFi on and it'll default to that connection. When a page stalls or drops, I know immediately that I'm on WiFi.

I'm running the latest beta of Yosemite. I figured, it can't get worse.

7. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Now you've done cursed yourself ...

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Would you be using Wi-Fi if your Mac (or OS X) could keep a more stable Wi-Fi connection? Or is it your desire to stay on Ethernet no matter how good your Wi-Fi could be?

Here's something to help with the Wi-Fi, if you're still trying to get that to be more stable, just in case you haven't already tried it. I just finished using it (my first time, if memory serves). I was on channel 1 and this utility said channel 2 or 11 would be a better bet. As I've mentioned before, I have no issues with Wi-Fi connection, but I went ahead and changed over to channel 2 anyways.

The utility only detected 4 Wi-Fi networks in my area at the moment of execution, so it's not overly crowded here. This could be another contributing factor to the stability of my connection.

9. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

The Apple Utility App can be used for WiFi scanning quite handily. I've used it for positioning the routers in our house for optimal reception. It was very revealing how many networks were close to us.
    YMMV

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For OS X 10.11, I wish for Apple to fix this longstanding bug… you download an update from the App Store, and a day or two later it wants you to download the same update again:

dejavubug.png

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They're probably putting that off as long as possible… Some possible factors:

• Fear of losing the brand awareness that "OS X" has achieved
    • Fear of confusing the masses
    • "Oh Ess Eleven" has five syllables—no way to get that to roll off the tip of one's tongue as smoothly as "Oh Ess Ten"
    • In print, "OS X" looks more appealing than "OS XI"

If "Warp" hadn't been previously used, I think "OS Warp" or simply "Warp" would have made a really nice name for the next generation of desktop operating systems.

12. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I have a suggestion for Apple. Stop updating the damn OS every year. What a PITA. They break more third party software and it's getting harder to upgrade because of that alone. Try fixing the one you have and leave stuff alone for a little while. :mad:

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I agree wholeheartedly—but updating the version number and making the new version incompatible for older machines is one of their ways to implement planned obsolescence and make people buy a new computer. If I've learned anything in the past few years, it's that Apple (and other big companies, of course) will not hesitate to throw us under the bus in order to make a few more bucks.

[Edited: grammar corrected]

#13 Rafagon, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They aren't throwing you under the bus. You have the option to stay on an older OS and keep using the machine that is outdated. This is the case with all hardware, not just Apple's. You eventually get to a point where new software can't run optimally, so they don't allow updating.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You do have a point. Anyone has the option to stay behind. But I've also witnessed instances where Apple doesn't seem too interested in making new features available to older machines, to wit: When Continuity features were introduced with Yosemite, and Apple was quick to say that only the newer Macs with Bluetooth 4.0 could use it. People started finding ways to get around that limitation with certain apps and dongles. Why didn't Apple go the extra mile and do that work themselves, to allow more users to have access to Continuity? Or an even more likely scenario: Apple knew it was possible to extend the Continuity features to older machines by using Bluetooth 4.0 dongles—they just didn't make that information public—a gentle nudge to users of older machines to shell out money for a new machine, and get the latest features.

Also, yes, I'm aware that it isn't just Apple's hardware that eventually becomes outdated and unable to run the latest OS. I do agree with you. I stated that in my original post:

[I corrected an error in the quote above… I had written "It's the Apple…" when I should've written "It's that Apple…"]

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

That's just it. I'm happy to stay on Mavericks but then no update to Final Cut Pro. That's how Applle forces people to upgrade not only their OS but their hardware in some instances. They did the same thing with iCloud a few years ago. Had to upgrade to Snow Leopard or no iCloud and no MacApp Store. It sucks but I understand that if they aren't selling new stuff they're not making money. Still it really isn't necessary to upgrade the OS every year like they have been lately.

And how about the time they moved to Intel and caused most users to have to upgrade almost all their third party software? That was a big hit.