OS X 10.8.3 Unleashed!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Who let the new version of OS X out! Who! Who! Who!

Apple did, that's who!

"Who's it for?!" you ask excitedly.

I'll tell you who it's for...

This update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including:

• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
    • Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
    • Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3 TB hard drive
    • A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
    • A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
    • A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
    • A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause cards to print out of order
    • A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting
    • A fix for an issue in Messages that may cause messages to appear out of order after waking from sleep
    • A fix for an issue that may cause the screen to display incorrectly after waking from sleep
    • Improves compatibility with IMAP servers in the Notes app
    • Allows the Slideshow screen saver to display photos located in a subfolder
    • A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause addresses to print in the wrong location
    • Reliability improvements when using a Microsoft Exchange account in Mail
    • Xsan reliability improvements
    • A fix for an issue that could cause Active Directory accounts to be locked out after accessing the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences
    • A fix for an issue that could cause link aggregation to not complete after a restart
    • A fix for an issue that could cause delays when logging into an Active Directory account on high latency networks
    Safari 6.0.3

Safari 6.0.3 is included in the OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 Update and contains fixes that improve performance, stability, and security, including:

• Improves scrolling on facebook.com
    • Improves scrolling while zoomed in on a webpage
    • Improves performance on webpages with plug-in content
    • A fix for an issue that could cause the inaccurate appearance of an alert that bookmarks can't be changed
    • A fix for an issue that could cause duplicate bookmarks to appear on an iOS device after editing bookmarks with Safari in OS X
    • A fix for an issue that permitted users to access unfiltered search results when searching from google.com when Parental Controls are enabled
    • A fix for an issue that could prevent Safari from restoring the last position on a webpage a user navigated back to

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

While enjoying my new 10.8.3 version of Apple's world-renowned operating system, OS X, I came across a curious finding. When I disconnect, then re-connect to Wi-Fi, an audible alert is produced. It's the same alert that one hears when one goes from offline to online on Bonjour. This is brand spanking new to 10.8.3, as I just verified that my MBA (still on 10.8.2) does not make this sound.

Try it yourself! (y)

Go to the Wi-Fi icon ( Wi-Fi.jpg ) on your Menu Bar, then click on "Turn Wi-Fi Off." Then, turn it back on by going back to the Wi-Fi icon, and selecting one of your home networks. As you re-connect, you'll hear the audible alert!

Neat, eh? (y)

What other cool tidbits (that Apple didn't mention in the official release notes [see above post]) have you found while enjoying 10.8.3 on your Mac?

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Meh. I'm still on 10.7.5 and quite happy without any of the widely reported issues with Mountain Lion. I just wish they would update Lion so the control-scroll zoom function wouldn't have to be manually reset every so often. :)

4. BebeMic

BebeMic New Member

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I wish Apple would just drop the "10."

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4