OS X as a live CD or portable on a flash drive?

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
Is it possible to have a portable edition of hackintosh? i remember seeing something somewhere where someone booted OS X off of a flash drive but i lost the link. anybody know where i can find some info?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can install osx just fine on any kind of external drive, but that's just using the normal installer which will install drivers only for the machine you use to install, which wouldn't make it a "live" disc that will work on any computer.

That being said, maybe there is some hackintosh live cd out there, but that would be a tall order to make...

edoz

Aug 9, 2010
You can install osx just fine on any kind of external drive, but that's just using the normal installer which will install drivers only for the machine you use to install, which wouldn't make it a "live" disc that will work on any computer.
could you please post a link to a guide on how to install osx on a thumb drive? i don't mean the installer of osx, but the actual osx ready to use. i don't need it to work on every pc, just on mine so that i don't have to mess w/ partitions and uninstalling windows.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Sure. I'll be able to do it tonight or tomorrow. It's actually not that difficult if you've installed OSX before.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
could you please post a link to a guide on how to install osx on a thumb drive? i don't mean the installer of osx, but the actual osx ready to use. i don't need it to work on every pc, just on mine so that i don't have to mess w/ partitions and uninstalling windows.
I sent you a PM earlier.