OS X disk access causing stuttering/slowdown of the whole system

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
So I'm downloading the iPhone SDK, and I notice the system is really slow and stuttery, like the mouse will skip a beat, miss a click every now and then, and the system is generally slow. I check the Activity Monitor and I see this..

I'm a Mac OS newbie, any ideas on what might be causing this outrageous system load?

Last edited by a moderator:

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Hackintosh. Well, I found out it wasn't necessarily Firefox. It may be that I tried to eject an SATA drive, thinking I could do a warm-swap the same way I do in Windows, by stopping the drive and plugging in a new one...

However, I rebooted, and the mouse is still jerky, without any of the excessive CPU usage as seen here.

I checked out dmesg and it's giving me a lot of "Unwanted Direction Change" lines

Is there a way I can stop Spotlight's indexing temporarily to see if that's what's causing the jerkiness? I don't recall all this happening the first time I tried Leopard on my PC.

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
i was just reading about spotlights indexing (im new to mac's) and found a trick to stop indexing

system prefs>spotlight>privacy tab

pick a drive to add to the privacy tab and spotlight will remove it from indexing and searches (supposedly)

I'm in an issue where i was trying to copy a .iso file (windows for use with parallels) and spotlight would not stop indexing the thumbdrive.. it was an 8gb drive with just the iso and a text doc, but my friend said it may have a hidden spotlight file from his macbook (not pro) whereas my MBP was crashing to the point of needed to be hard-shutdown (power button, 20 secs) to get it to turn off...

hope that works for you , ill be off googling a solution, unless anyone can chime in via pm (so as not to threadjack anymore than ihave)

:)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Whatever your problem is, it's because you're running a Hackintosh. I've never seen a single app use that much CPU and memory.