OS X Mavericks Bugs/Oddities

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When you copy and paste formatted (large, bold, etc.) text from a website onto a conversation in Messages.app, it retains the formatting of the source text--but only on the sender's screen (see my screenshot below). However, text-containing iMessages are sent to the recipient unformatted—as straight text. The fact that formatted text is displayed on the sender's screen is misleading. It implies the text was sent formatted. All of the text you see in my screenshot below was sent normal size, even though it appears otherwise. Maybe some of the other protocols that Messages.app is capable of working with are able to transmit formatted text, but the iMessage protocol isn't--and Messages.app obviously is aware that the text is getting sent as an iMessage.

Messages.app peculiarity.jpg

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

dead at 70 inches?

Anyway, you can strip formatting by using "Paste and Match Style" instead. cmd+alt+shift+v.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I did check back with the original article, there was no quotation mark there. Apparently I managed to accidentally type a quotation mark into the text.

Thanks for the tip, that should definitely fix it. I'll probably go the menu route, as I don't see myself memorizing that key combination properly.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have stumbled upon another Messages.app anomaly. The sender's text background color is different on my iMac than on my MacBook Air, despite the Preferences being set identically on both machines.

On my iMac:

different colors 1.jpg

Preferences window on my iMac:

different colors 2.jpg

On my MacBook Air:

different colors 3.jpg

Preferences window on my MacBook Air:

different colors 4.jpg

For some unexplainable reason, "Automatic" means pink on my iMac, but yellow on my MacBook Air.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, messages has always been a bit inconsistent like that. I hope 10.10 brings a UI facelift to fit better with iOS7 and iCloud.com's design.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Looks like 10.9 might have aggravated the inconsistencies. I never noticed another color background on the sender's text other than white while I was on 10.8.x. Time will tell!

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I stopped using the "automatic" settings a while ago. I force everyone's stuff to clear bubble, black, helvetica 12 font to match what iOS messages looks like. It was awful when people used their own style that shows up on your end with bright colors and weird fonts.