OS X on PC

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Does anyone else have Mac OS X on their PC besides me?

If so, do you like it?

If not, you should definitely try it. It's easy to setup and is completely legal.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Do tell! I want to put it on my PC so I can develop some apps. How do you do it? Is there a website that I can look at?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
There is a site that has everything about it but I don't know if it's okay to post here.

PM me or message me on an IM thing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think it's OK to post it here as long as it doesn't mention pirating software...

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Well the first thing you need to do is get a copy of Mac OS X (Tiger of Leopard).

You can do it the legal way by buying a copy, patching it for installation on the PC, then you install it like you would any other OS.

OR you can do it the illegal way, which is easier, but it's illegal (by downloading a copy already patched).

Either way, you can get a perfectly working install.

kadeschs

Jan 16, 2009
Doesn't it require being on it's own hard drive separate from Windows and SSE2/SSE3 support?

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
if you want you can put it on another harddrive...or you can make a new partition and install it there.

Yes, SSE2/SSE3 is required. If your CPU doesn't support it then it must be pretty old.

kadeschs

Jan 16, 2009
if you want you can put it on another harddrive...or you can make a new partition and install it there.

Yes, SSE2/SSE3 is required. If your CPU doesn't support it then it must be pretty old.

I had heard that you can't just load it on a second partition, and yes, my computer is rather old.

I've been trying to contact you via IM to get that website addy for instructions on the installation. However, I don't see you online and I haven't received a response back from you on there.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.

If so, do you like it?

If not, you should definitely try it. It's easy to setup and is completely legal.
I'm not sure if it's legal, since your computer is not Apple. Unless you purchased a Macintosh OSX from Apple itself, not just downloaded it.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
It shouldn't matter. I boughtna copy Mac OS X and I expect to do whatever I want with it. That's how I will stand on everything.

It's against the license but nobody reads those things.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

If so, do you like it?

I have Leopard 10.5.3 on my PC. I use it occasionally, now that the novelty has worn off.

As far as installation, I think that the ease of installation is highly dependent upon one's particular hardware configuration. My hardware seems pretty well adapted for OSX, but others seem to have a devil of a time getting it to run.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Everything went fine for me, even though I'm on an AMD CPU. Luckily for all my other hardware, there were drivers for (audio, ethernet, USB.). My video card isn't supported though in leopard (it is in Snow Leopard though).

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I never thought anyone would try to put OSX on a PC. It seems like it kinda defeats the purpose because most people that build their machines play PC games lol.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
by that definition, installing Linux would also defeat the purpose.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I wanted to install Linux on my other desktop computer before, it's an Intel Dual Core. I did hear from my friends that it's pretty complicated though, some friends even told me that I should build up my own GUI or something like that, and when something goes wrong, I have to take time to fix it myself (which is really hard of course).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
depends on which flavor of linux you go with. Something like Ubuntu is all set-up and ready to go for you. it has a nice GUI and a ton of open source software preinstalled