Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres poses for Samsung sponsored selfie, but tweets from her iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Europa, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

#1 Europa, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Did you expect her to use a phone that wasn't hers? The Note 3 was only supposed to be used for the time that Samsung paid for for it to be on the air. Did you want her to make a Google Play account, download a Twitter app, sign in to her account, take pics and THEN tweet them? The answer is no of course. She's going to use her own phone for unofficial or personal usage, and if she happens to own an iPhone then an iPhone is what she'll be using.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it's pathetic. It's embarrassing for Samsung to get caught making it appear that the Note 3 was her personal phone, though it would obviously be suspected that it wasn't. If those tweets weren't tagged with Twitter for iPhone, we wouldn't have known for sure.

4. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I din't think for a second that the Note 3 was her actual phone. I don't think Samsung was trying to make it look like that. Samsung is a known sponser for the Oscars for years now. Its the same way that I don't think any of the celebrities doing commercials for various products actually use those products.

Do you really think Taylor Swift like to drink Pepsi all the time?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, they were trying to make it look like it was hers. It's sad that they repeatedly pay celebrities to do this despite being caught several times. Many of them are paid to say how much they love their Samsung phones, not realizing their tweets are being tagged with "sent from twitter for iPhone." And yes, she did install twitter on the Android and log into it. The group celebrity shot that set a record and crashed twitter was sent from the Note.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

In the photo she looks like she is thinking this:

"What the #@$%#! Look at all this crapware and are you kidding me, 8GB of the 16GB swallowed up by the OS?"

7. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Well the Note 3 only comes in 32GB and 64GB in the USA :)

8. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Well isn't it her Note? I doubt Samsung is going to ask for it back haha

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I was making a passive joke at the S5.....

I honestly don't understand why you are going above and beyond to defend this as it is pretty darn funny..

Samsung can pay for a celebrity to hold the phone but none want to use it... See the humor?

Anywho, I am out...

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think last night was a big win for Samsung. As bogus as the 'most retweeted image' actually is, it is generating a massive amount of press. Samsung's sponsorship was wall-to-wall. Even E! had Samsung tablets in their pre-show.

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The Samsung marketing machine... I give them credit though, they do spend a ton of moola on marketing..

My son has the S4 and he loves it.. I bet he gets the S5.. Me? Meh.. To much crapware, to many duplicated Google features under a Samsung name and way to much TW for me..

I don't hate on Samsung.. People want different things in a phone and in the end what works for them is the best phone for them..

I do however find it funny every time I see a celebrity touting a Samsung phone and making that said tweet from an iPhone.. It's funny... Well to me it is at least.. :)

12. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The "selfie" is being blamed for an increase in the spread of head lice among teens. Apple should do a parity in which kids take selfies with their Samsungs and immediately begin scratching their heads furiously.

13. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I wouldn't care if I was the only person on Earth using the Note 3. I love the phone to death. By far the best device I've ever used. It's selling incredibly well despite it being a niche device btw.

I don't feel like I'm defending them honestly, just trying to be objective. This is typical corporate marketing.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This is the kind of writing that makes me love The Verge. The second paragraph consists of only one sentence, and it basically says it all.

(bold font face mine; large font mine)

Full article here.

15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Seriously? You're going to blame the blurriness on a hastily taken picture on the phone? My sister in law can blur any picture, even if it was a 2000 dollar DSLR. If you ask me that pic looks damned good for being a quickly taken front camera pic in funky lighting. Let's try to be objective here people.

16. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Ahhhhh.. Thank you and a shoutout the to forum software for the ignore function....

Woohoo! :)

17. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

It dismays me to see people not being able to carry a conversation that may have differing viewpoints. Some have to resort to the electronic equivalent of shutting your eyes and ears and shouting lalala.

Are my posts that unreasonable? Seriously. I don't even really like Samsung, yet people are acting like I'm in the bag for them.