OTA iOS 10 Installs Causing Some IPhones to be "Bricked" and Forced to Restore

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

WOW! I will be waiting. I have no hard backup, iTunes backup, only iCloud backup of my iPhone sooooo, this is a no go for me for a while.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds like the issue is now resolved. It just affected those of us who were a little too anxious this morning!

4. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

What exactly does it mean "bricks"

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This connotation of the word "bricked" is actually a misnomer. Technically, bricking means the device is rendered useless as a result of a firmware problem. Hence, as useful as a brick. But if restoring fixes the problem, it was not bricked. True firmware bricking is exceedingly rare, but when it does happen it's usually related to a jailbreak or unlock problem. I've only seen it happen twice on this forum and it was years ago. Both were jailbroken phones, one was out of warranty, and both were replaced by Apple, free of charge. Today's update problem, though now apparently resolved, didn't brick any devices. It just forced the users to restore.

6. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hi Guys!!
    My iPhone 6+ has been showing the Apple logo and progress bar for several hours now after attempting the IOS 10 update OTA. Should I continue to let it sit there? HELP!!

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I wouldn't give it any longer than the end of today.

Yesterday when I updated my Apple Watch to WatchOS 3, I had the Apple Logo on there for about 15 minutes beyond when the message on my phone popped up saying it was done. I thought that was odd. Matter of fact, I was in the process of writing a post about it when it moved on.