OTA iOS 10 Installs Causing Some IPhones to be "Bricked" and Forced to Restore

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Sounds like the issue is now resolved. It just affected those of us who were a little too anxious this morning! [emoji12]

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What exactly does it mean "bricks"
This connotation of the word "bricked" is actually a misnomer. Technically, bricking means the device is rendered useless as a result of a firmware problem. Hence, as useful as a brick. But if restoring fixes the problem, it was not bricked. True firmware bricking is exceedingly rare, but when it does happen it's usually related to a jailbreak or unlock problem. I've only seen it happen twice on this forum and it was years ago. Both were jailbroken phones, one was out of warranty, and both were replaced by Apple, free of charge. Today's update problem, though now apparently resolved, didn't brick any devices. It just forced the users to restore.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
This connotation of the word "bricked" is actually a misnomer. Technically, bricking means the device is rendered useless as a result of a firmware problem. Hence, as useful as a brick. But if restoring fixes the problem, it was not bricked. True firmware bricking is exceedingly rare, but when it does happen it's usually related to a jailbreak or unlock problem. I've only seen it happen twice on this forum and it was years ago. Both were jailbroken phones, one was out of warranty, and both were replaced by Apple, free of charge. Today's update problem, though now apparently resolved, didn't brick any devices. It just forced the users to restore.

Hi Guys!!
My iPhone 6+ has been showing the Apple logo and progress bar for several hours now after attempting the IOS 10 update OTA. Should I continue to let it sit there? HELP!!

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Hi Guys!!
My iPhone 6+ has been showing the Apple logo and progress bar for several hours now after attempting the IOS 10 update OTA. Should I continue to let it sit there? HELP!!
I wouldn't give it any longer than the end of today.

Yesterday when I updated my Apple Watch to WatchOS 3, I had the Apple Logo on there for about 15 minutes beyond when the message on my phone popped up saying it was done. I thought that was odd. Matter of fact, I was in the process of writing a post about it when it moved on.