Other Countries are getting shafted!

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
Not that I'm one to complain, but why is it that other countries and their iPhone 3G data plans suck monkey pole? Compared to AT&T here, 69.99 gets you unlimited data with 450 minutes, compare to other countries with severely handicapped data/phone plans. Like Canada and Denmark. I mean yeah us here could be better too, but compared to them, we're on easy street, I'll tell you that.

In Denmark its $128.00 USD for 300 minutes and 300MB of data.
Netherlands, $103.00 USD gets you 500 minutes and unlimited data. pricey from my view.

From my POV, it looks like a bit of hating going on around the world. I understand different countries have there own rules, but damn that'll hurt the average consumer and iPhone sales may be limited.....

Let me know what you think.....

Chris.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well, maybe it has to do with the average income in diff. countries?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Well Im not sure about the other countries, but canada has always had crazy expensive data plans, with blackberries and other phones. And their ETFs are twice as high.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Well I noticed that with some countries ( i don't remember which one) the subsidized price is different than ours. I think O2 has a thing where you get the 8gb if you choose one of their special plans, and for $99 for the 16gb so all these expensive plans could be because of a cheap iPhone itself. Kind of how with the 3G data here being raised, it eventually adds up to be more expensive than the V1 + data.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
good ole supply and demand... if a country has a crappy network, then data is harder to come by, and people are willing to pay higher prices to get it, and in doing so, diminish the demand of said data until it reaches an equilibrium.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
good ole supply and demand... if a country has a crappy network, then data is harder to come by, and people are willing to pay higher prices to get it, and in doing so, diminish the demand of said data until it reaches an equilibrium.
Actually, most European countries have better networks in the US. For years they have been perfecting GSM while here in the good ol' USA, our cell phone providers have been all running in different directions with three different technologies. Data is just more expensive in some countries, but they usually have other things that are more reasonably priced than us. It all comes out in the wash in the end.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
where did you find all these prices and plans for other counties?

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
where did you find all these prices and plans for other counties?
Gizmodo

Macrumors

Appleinsider

engadgetmobile

9to5mac

THIS SITE

you know, the usual places.

Oh, oh, go to google and type < 3g iPhone plans <<insert country here>>

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008