Other storage on iPad continues to increase

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bolygon57

Bronze
Oct 18, 2011
I have 2 gig of other on my iPad...it's been increasing in small increments...
I gave 1 gig of other on my iPhone... Same as above....any thoughts on getting rid of other? Not fond of the uninvited use of my space.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Make sure you are backed up. Do a restore and erase everything. Then restore from your back up. Will drastically reduce your "other" size. I do this monthly. Helps drastically.

Bolygon57

Bronze
Oct 18, 2011
Sounds reasonable...I just synched...what can you think of (that I might not think of) before doing this?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Regardless of what happens, don't freak out. If you synced you can get everything back. Also write down your "other" now and then look afterwards. You can thank me when it's all said and done. :)

AZIANAPPLE

Bronze
Jun 6, 2012
It's could be the Location Services that is eating up addition data from third-party apps. Apple does this as well with System Services within Location Services in the Settings app.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
It's could be the Location Services that is eating up addition data from third-party apps. Apple does this as well with System Services within Location Services in the Settings app.
If I recall when third party apps use the locations services that data being stores drops off when it is no longer in use. Plus it uses the apps area of storage for the buffering of locations services. Don't quote me but I am 92.6% sure.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
A lot of the other is data that is stored within apps. If you check under Settings > General > Usage you can see what apps are using a lot of data. To clear that data, uninstall the app and reinstall it. A restore from backup, as another user suggested, will do this for ALL of your apps. This will erase that app data and thus bring that "other" way lower.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I'm asking a clarifying question.
Isn't the number that is shown under the general setting the amount that is shown in iTunes as apps? (I'm nodding my head up and down) some of the app data may account for the other area but that is nothing to do with the number shown in settings. I deleted five random apps and reinstalled them. The number under settings never changed by more than 2 mb. I know when I do a restore after erasing everything I drop 2 GB almost every time.

AZIANAPPLE

Bronze
Jun 6, 2012
Your probably right but the person your trying to help maybe has her location services on so data could be accumulating undesired amount of data?

Bolygon57

Bronze
Oct 18, 2011
Interesting...I just bought a 4s..after restoring from the backup from my 3GS, I'm showing 1.5gb of other..brand new phone...