Other storage on iPad continues to increase

Discussion in 'iPad 2' started by Bolygon57, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Bolygon57

Bolygon57 Member
    Bronze

I have 2 gig of other on my iPad...it's been increasing in small increments...
    I gave 1 gig of other on my iPhone... Same as above....any thoughts on getting rid of other? Not fond of the uninvited use of my space.

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Make sure you are backed up. Do a restore and erase everything. Then restore from your back up. Will drastically reduce your "other" size. I do this monthly. Helps drastically.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Bolygon57

Bolygon57 Member
    Bronze

Sounds reasonable...I just synched...what can you think of (that I might not think of) before doing this?

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Regardless of what happens, don't freak out. If you synced you can get everything back. Also write down your "other" now and then look afterwards. You can thank me when it's all said and done. :)

5. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

It's could be the Location Services that is eating up addition data from third-party apps. Apple does this as well with System Services within Location Services in the Settings app.

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

If I recall when third party apps use the locations services that data being stores drops off when it is no longer in use. Plus it uses the apps area of storage for the buffering of locations services. Don't quote me but I am 92.6% sure.

7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

A lot of the other is data that is stored within apps. If you check under Settings > General > Usage you can see what apps are using a lot of data. To clear that data, uninstall the app and reinstall it. A restore from backup, as another user suggested, will do this for ALL of your apps. This will erase that app data and thus bring that "other" way lower.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I'm asking a clarifying question.
    Isn't the number that is shown under the general setting the amount that is shown in iTunes as apps? (I'm nodding my head up and down) some of the app data may account for the other area but that is nothing to do with the number shown in settings. I deleted five random apps and reinstalled them. The number under settings never changed by more than 2 mb. I know when I do a restore after erasing everything I drop 2 GB almost every time.

9. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Your probably right but the person your trying to help maybe has her location services on so data could be accumulating undesired amount of data?

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

When she has her phone plugged into iTunes it wouldn't be showing that location services data in the other area.

11. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Are you sure? But anyways, if what your saying is true, that's good to know.

12. Bolygon57

Bolygon57 Member
    Bronze

Interesting...I just bought a 4s..after restoring from the backup from my 3GS, I'm showing 1.5gb of other..brand new phone...