OtterBox Armor Vs. Griffin Survivor Vs. LifeProof

Best case for iPhone 5?

• Total voters

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
I like the looks of the Lifeproof, but have always been an Otterbox girl. Maybe I'll give the Lifeproof a try.

Jeepinkj

Bronze
Oct 10, 2012
virginia
I like the looks of the Lifeproof, but have always been an Otterbox girl. Maybe I'll give the Lifeproof a try.
I have always had otter-box and tried to stray away and get lifeproof just couldn't do it so I got the armor series yesterday and started using it I like it a lil bigger then the defender I had but not bad

64gb iPhone5 black

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
I have always had otter-box and tried to stray away and get lifeproof just couldn't do it so I got the armor series yesterday and started using it I like it a lil bigger then the defender I had but not bad

64gb iPhone5 black

Any chance you can post pictures comparing the two cases ?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I know little about the LifeProof or the Survivor so I cant comment on them but my g/f has the Otterbox Armor and I found it to make the iPhone 5 to heavy. The LifeProof sells the holster separately which isn't cheap and a holster isn't available for the Otterbox Armor

AkRotts

Bronze
Feb 11, 2009
Chugiak, AK
I love my Lifeproof! I had one for my iPhone 4 and hated it. It sounded like I was in a tunnel when I was talking to someone. I used it for the few weeks we were on vacation and that was it. I was leery about trying a Lifeproof again after my last experience. Since we were headed to Arizona for a month and planned on spending the majority of that time in the pool, I decided to give it another try. I love the Lifeproof I currently have on my iPhone 5. No issues with people having trouble hearing me when I am talking to them. I love being able to take my iPhone into the pool and take video of the kids swimming. Not to mention the fact that I can listen to my music while swimming laps ;)

B

Bharding08

I really liked the lifeproof case, but i dropped my phone in the warehouse i work at and skidded across the concrete. The phone was fine but later on I realized the fall (from my hip) cracked the side of the case and is no longer waterproof. I also found that blowing into the ports by the headphone jack solves the problems of people cannot hear you while on the phone. I would still be using it if it didn't crack on the side.

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
I really liked the lifeproof case, but i dropped my phone in the warehouse i work at and skidded across the concrete. The phone was fine but later on I realized the fall (from my hip) cracked the side of the case and is no longer waterproof. I also found that blowing into the ports by the headphone jack solves the problems of people cannot hear you while on the phone. I would still be using it if it didn't crack on the side.
Hey, why don't you call them and see if they get you a new one.
It is supposed to survive a fall com that distance.

Sent using iCafe app

B

Bharding08

Hey, why don't you call them and see if they get you a new one.
It is supposed to survive a fall com that distance.

Sent using iCafe app

I did and they tried to tell me that the lifeproof case is not shockproof. Which it clearly states on the box that it is. I even sent my receipt in from where I bought it (walmart) and all the necessary information and they tried to tell me it's fake. That drove me up a wall I said how can you tell me the serial number doesn't come up when I spent 80 dollars at a store for it. Still have done nothing and won't even return emails. I gave up trying.

Sent using iCafe app

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I had the Griffin Survivor for a short while and I really liked it. I liked it better than the Otterbox. It has a tighter fit than the Defender and it is dust proof. I also heard that the Defender will scratch your phone because there is some movement within the case.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet. My smokin hot iPhone 5.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I had the Griffin Survivor for a short while and I really liked it. I liked it better than the Otterbox. It has a tighter fit than the Defender and it is dust proof. I also heard that the Defender will scratch your phone because there is some movement within the case.

I didn't experience any movement when I tested the Otterbox Defender. In fact, I use it every so often, as I'm more apt to trust my daughter with my iPhone if it has the Otterbox protecting it. I love the way it fits.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I didn't experience any movement when I tested the Otterbox Defender. In fact, I use it every so often, as I'm more apt to trust my daughter with my iPhone if it has the Otterbox protecting it. I love the way it fits.
I guess you are a lucky one. The Defender I owned definitely had some play, although it didn't scratch my phone. But I only kept it for a week. But there a some unhappy Defender users on the iMore forums that have experienced damage to their phones from the Defender case. I saw some pictures that were posted and they didn't look pretty.