Otterbox case for the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FFAP1234, Mar 10, 2012.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Hi everybody I'm new in the iPad forum ( not I the iPhone ) I just wanted to ask if anybody knows the otterbox case for the iPad 2 will fit the new one? If yes I would like to order it before my new iPad arrives : ) thank you all.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I looked at Otterbox's page and they are advertising the Defender for the new iPad and iPad 2 as one unit.
    99.9% sure it will fit.
    New iPad is only .5mm thicker.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

That is what I thought too, thank you very much!

4. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

My question is, will the polycarbonate snap on cases for the iPad 2 work with the new iPad?

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

6. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Yes. The website first stated that the defender case would fit both ipads; shortly after, the page design completely changed to feature the new ipad. The new PN: APL2-IPADD-20-E40TR_A, hasn't yet shown up at Amazon.

I have also taken interest in the Gumdrop Military case (avail. Mar.28). Three (now) ipads with ob defender cases in "one" household will create issues. Imagine this scenario...wife says "OK, whose ipad is this...is it mine?.." Then, I say "turn it on and if you are blown away by the stunning display then no, it is not yours.."

7. Slims even

Slims even New Member

You should give the otterbox a comparison with gumdrop - drop series / military version first. Dust filters all around and a inner and outer shell with screen protection. Best $69 I ever spent. March 28 they sell ipad3 versions.
    Also Griffin survivor case is right up there with gumdrop. Otterbox is way under biult . No screen protection either. Overpriced to for how light it is. Griffin is strong as is gumdrop. The two best.

8. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

The new otterbox defender case "does" have an integral screen protector now. I guess they felt the heat from other vendor models. My new defender case arrives tomorrow and I will compare it to the old style.

I will be purchasing the Gumdrop Miltary case when it becomes available later this month. It is more my style.

I purchased iVisor screen protectors for both my iPad2, and my MBAir. These are undoubtedly the best screen protection systems made...wow.

9. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I'm just curious but why do you guys need a protector that is military grade? Are you actually taking it out in Iraq or something? It just seems overkill and makes the product look silly if you really don't need that much protection.

10. BoLoThaBeAR

BoLoThaBeAR Member
    Bronze

New Marware CEO ;) thats what i ordered.

#10 BoLoThaBeAR, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  11. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

I use my iPad extensively for businesss. It travels around in a backpack; into everything from paper mills, power plants; to pool decks, or the beach. The iPad2 is not that much bulkier with one of these cases than the original iPad without. It is also easier to hold; prop against a wall while using powerpoint, blah, blah, blah....

Silly is your opinion that I don't happen to share.

12. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Piece of mind that it's protected against just about anything for me.

13. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Well I just wanted to know what people were using it for that required such a case. For instance, I have a friend who has the otterbox case for his iPhone and it is very unnecessary for his needs. He has never gone to a paper mill or power plant with it. Thanks for the nonsarcastic answer.