Otterbox Defender 3G Case-warning, Design Flaws !

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Hello All,

I just wanted to warn you about the new Defender case for Otterbox for the iPhone 3G. I have given nothing but praise for the Defender case for the original iPhone, but have issues with the new one. Oddly enough, the one and only flaw in the original Defender, was the mute switch on the phone was covered up by the case. This one flaw was fixed on the 3G Defender, but it also has become it's major design flaw. I have now owned two of these cases, and both times the silicon has ripped near the flap for the mute/vibrate button.

Also, the holster for the case was redesigned. It now has stubs that stick out inside the holster, with corresponding holes in the case. This holds the case in the holster really well, but actually TOO well. It takes a ton of force to get the case out of the holster, which possibly can cause the tearing of the silicone. Since Otterbox does NOT send an instruction manual for the Otterbox Defender 3G case, you are really forced to figure out how the case and holster work on your own. They include a generic instruction manual for an iPod ! Not the Defender 3G case. It is quite easy to get the case on, but the holster issue can cause problems.

Sad to say, I have sent many emails about getting the instruction manual for the Otterbox 3G, and they actually mailed it to me, but to my surprise, it was the same generic iPod instructions. Then when they shipped me a NEW case due to the first one ripping, it also had the same instruction manual. I must admit, Otterbox has fantastic customer service, and shipped me the new case without asking me to ship the old one back, or even ask for proof. But unfortunately, my second case ripped once again, in the same place, by the mute/vibrate button.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Hello All,

I just wanted to warn you about the new Defender case for Otterbox for the iPhone 3G. I have given nothing but praise for the Defender case for the original iPhone, but have issues with the new one. Oddly enough, the one and only flaw in the original Defender, was the mute switch on the phone was covered up by the case. This one flaw was fixed on the 3G Defender, but it also has become it's major design flaw. I have now owned two of these cases, and both times the silicon has ripped near the flap for the mute/vibrate button.

Also, the holster for the case was redesigned. It now has stubs that stick out inside the holster, with corresponding holes in the case. This holds the case in the holster really well, but actually TOO well. It takes a ton of force to get the case out of the holster, which possibly can cause the tearing of the silicone. Since Otterbox does NOT send an instruction manual for the Otterbox Defender 3G case, you are really forced to figure out how the case and holster work on your own. They include a generic instruction manual for an iPod ! Not the Defender 3G case. It is quite easy to get the case on, but the holster issue can cause problems.

Sad to say, I have sent many emails about getting the instruction manual for the Otterbox 3G, and they actually mailed it to me, but to my surprise, it was the same generic iPod instructions. Then when they shipped me a NEW case due to the first one ripping, it also had the same instruction manual. I must admit, Otterbox has fantastic customer service, and shipped me the new case without asking me to ship the old one back, or even ask for proof. But unfortunately, my second case ripped once again, in the same place, by the mute/vibrate button.
Most case companies don't ask for you to ship the old one back. I was actually thinking of getting one for my outdoor stuff (mountain biking, hiking...) but you convinced me not to! Do you know of any other heavy duty cases around like the defender?

603doug

Jan 3, 2009
I have the Otter case and work in the construction field so it gets beat to sh*t and have not had any issues. Dropped it a couple of times on concrete and it bounced with not a nick. All the little protective covers seem to be intact. I did buy another for my "going out on the town" apparel

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
I hate to be negative, I absolutely loved the Defender for the 1st iPhone, but the 3G one is flawed as I stated. They have the BEST customer service, except for the fact that they STILL can't ship you instx for the Defender 3G, because they never made them. I even showed a guy trying to sell me the case in an airport shop, and he was shocked when he opened the box, and there was instx for the iPod. If they had the instx, everybody would know the correct way to get the case out of the holster. I ripped both cases trying to get the darned thing out of the holster.

I believe there is now a video on Youtube showing you how to do it correctly.

I currently have the Ivyskin Quattro T4, and I find it to be the 2nd best in protection for the iPhone. It has it's own flaws that have been well documented in these forums, but I still use the case on a daily basis.

Arkapigdiesel

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Not trying to be a pecker head, but I think some of you guys are too darn picky. The reason I got an Otter Box is because the thing could fall from a 10 story building and the phone would be totally protected (maybe that's stretching a little).

I agree that the mute switch is a little tricky to get to, but that doesn't concern me in the least bit. I usually just use the tip of my pinkie finger to switch it if the need arises.

Anyway, my point is this....a case is meant to protect and the Otter Box is about as good at protecting the iPhone as I've seen. My two cents.

pmy

Oct 17, 2009
Otterbox Issues

Guys- there is a detailed video on how to use the defender on the otterbox website. It is easy! The only issue is my case came with a white tabby thinggy paper that covers the part that goes to the ear & I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove it as it seems to be between layers & it certainly does not seem like it should be left in tact. Any advice?