Otterbox defender bad defect!

Nov 2, 2010
I am having the same problem, as is my wife. It works 110% with the case off, but when the case is on the sensor does not work.

Here is what Otterbox sent me:

"John,

I understand the frustration you are experiencing. The issue is in the phone proximity sensor itself. Our development team has confirmed the case is not the cause. I know it may seem that way, but if you bring the item to Apple they can further assist you.

Have an Otterrific Day!

Thank You,

Chris Wood
Customer Service Representative"

I will have to try Apple but I am imagining a pissing contest between the 2.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I believe it is indeed the phone's fault. My proximity sensor is actually visible (red) when on, and it doesn't work but within a few mm of something, so there might be a batch of phones that have iffy sensors. That defender is a few mm thick from the iPhone screen to the edge of the front face. So I have more trouble getting my sensor to work while my defender is on.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
Same here mines work when I put it on just fine, just since I converted my iPhone with the white stickers it can't fit lol

MacBook 4,1 & iPhone 4 32GB
2.4GHz, 2GB, 160

bpd691

Jul 6, 2010
I can confirm this issue. I'm having the same problem. It works perfectly without the case, but it won't work at all with the case on. I even removed the plastic film but it still wouldn't work!

Mzstaples

Dec 17, 2011
I just realised that if you have the Otterbox defender on the iPhone 4 the proximity sensor does not work! Anyone else getting this problem?
Yes I had the same problem & was about 2 return my phone. I took the plastic off the inside of the otterbox over the sensor & now it works!

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
What is proximity sensor?
I have the otterbox defender I took it off cause I dislike how I couldn't see my white phone lol it's black and pink:)
I loved it w the 3GS and when I heard on here they had one for iPhone 4,someone bought me one and now (shrug) I'm not thrilled too thick.Anyways I use it on day's I'm tossing my phone in and out if bag and very busy running w the kids otherwise I use a trim back cover and I'm now waiting on an order of screen covers.
I also have the other ortterbox cover (purple nwhite) it's the one that has no screen cover and I like that one more...
Anyways would I notice If my proximity sensor didn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Mzstaples

Dec 17, 2011
What is proximity sensor?
I have the otterbox defender I took it off cause I dislike how I couldn't see my white phone lol it's black and pink:)
I loved it w the 3GS and when I heard on here they had one for iPhone 4,someone bought me one and now (shrug) I'm not thrilled too thick.Anyways I use it on day's I'm tossing my phone in and out if bag and very busy running w the kids otherwise I use a trim back cover and I'm now waiting on an order of screen covers.
I also have the other ortterbox cover (purple nwhite) it's the one that has no screen cover and I like that one more...
Anyways would I notice If my proximity sensor didn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app[/quot

Yes I think u would notice it. Every time I made a call my face would hit mute bc my screen didn't black out. And it was bc the plastic was covering the sensor.