Otterbox Defender, how to remove screen protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by budala15, Mar 28, 2014.

1. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

How can I remove the screen protector on the Defender? I bought one for my son's 5C and a lot of dirt gets trapped underneath it.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

On some of those for the 5c, the protective screen does not lie flush with the phone's screen. I just got one like that from Verizon. They're now out of stock, so I called Otter. They're sending me a replacement for free. I'll send the defective one back to Verizon. They're not all like that. That's part of the problem because of the gap between the protective screen and the phone's screen. But also because of the cut out hole in the protective screen for the home button. If you can return it, I'd do so and call Otter. They'll help you.

3. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

Yes mine isn't flush to the screen. It allows a ton of dust and isn't sensitive at all. Should I just remove it and leave it at that?

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

#4 Ledsteplin, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Sadly I found out from Otterbox directly that the Defender iPhone case is never 100% dirt free and will never be. The other 2, more expensive cases, I was told ARE 100% dirt free.

I will still stick with the Defender though as it's cheaper.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The Defender I use on my iPhone 5 is not completely dust and debris free. But it's not that bad. I remove it about every 2 months to clean it. The Defender for the 5c has the extra cut out for the home button. But if the protective screen lies flush with the phones screen, it will help keep out dust and debris. There's going to be some. If the replacement they're sending me does the same way with the screen not being flush, then I will look elsewhere. I will get refunded for the case by Verizon. Otter is sending a replacement for free. I may have to take another look at the Lifeproof fre. But even it has some reviews that complain of the protective screen not being flush against the phone's screen. The design of the 5c must have been a challenge for case makers with cases that have built in screens.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

For me, the case is flush to the screen for a while but then I start to notice bubbles. Somehow I then get dirt and debris under the screen protector. It is not worth the trouble for me to take the case off to clean as it is hard to get the case off.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I can't argue with that. If my replacement has these issues, I'll just look for something else. It's my wife's phone, so it'll be up to her.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Issues like not sticking to screen, and dirt? You'll still have those issues, I promise you. I've been through replacements only because they are free. :)

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Well, I won't be out any money. But I may as well start looking for something else. There's not much available for the 5c other than gel skins. And I hate those stick on screen protectors.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

True that. When I was a beginner, I would buy those cheap cases and the stick on screen protectors. Now I'm hangin with the big kids! :)

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've noticed the volume of sounds on the 5c is lower than my 5. It's turned all the way up on the side, in settings and on the control panel. It's very low volume. My wife has excellent hearing, and she's complaining. Is yours that way?

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would not be one to be able to answer that question as I am jailbroken. I have a friend though that has an iPhone 5. We talk daily through text sometimes about the iPhone, and she hasn't complained or asked me anything regarding the volume.

Now as for me being jailbroken, I heard something from another friend yesterday that I am unaware of. He was watching a YouTube video on my iPhone and was wondering why my volume is so loud. I don't have any volume tweaks although there are some out there via Cydia but they don't work from what I saw. I'm unsure why he thinks it's louder. He also has an iPhone but isn't jailbroken.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just to add a little information, some of those Cydia volume tweaks have been blowing iPhone speakers, so be careful. I'd definitely stay away from them. I tried one and almost fried my speaker.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Interesting. I don't use them. I only tried one or two a long time ago and they didn't work.

Back on topic (sort of), does your wife have volume issues often?

Back to talking about cases, I have wanted to try one of Otterbox's more expensive cases that are supposedly 100% dirt free, but I'm a cheapo. :p

#16 MoneyMaker79, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I just discovered if hearing aid mode in accessibility is turned on, the volume is better. Works on my wife's 5c and on my 5. I found that on the Apple forums.

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's excellent. Hopefully that will continue to help. I have not tried it myself, but will let others know about it helping.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Never. I'm single for the nonce.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Lol, I was talking to Ledsteplin. :)

What does nonce mean?