Otterbox Defender in Realtree Camo

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by The Apple, Mar 13, 2012.

1. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

Around 3 months ago I was walking by a guy with a bright orange iPhone case that looked like an Otterbox Defender. I was excited that Otterbox might have extended the color range of their Defender line, so when I got home that evening I looked it up. While going through their website I found out that the orange case I saw was part of a Defender and the backside of that case was apparently camouflage. I had not noticed that when I saw the case because I only saw the front/side. Seeing this I decided to get one. Looking through the colors I picked out blaze orange for the case, and Realtree AP camo for the skin. They offer 6 different color combinations for this lineup. Click HERE for the other color combinations. I have done other reviews on this forum for the Otterbox Defender, but I figured I would write one up for this case as the silicone skin material is different than the others. I also wanted to let you all know how well the camo design holds up.

[​IMG]

If you have ever had a Defender series case you know what to expect. You can expect one of the toughest cases on the market. The Otterbox Defender is a high impact polycarbonate shell with a built in screen protector, and a silicone skin that wraps around the back and sides. The shell I selected was the blaze orange. It is very bright, so it stands out. On the inside of the shell there is a foam backing that sits against the back of the iPhone holding it in place and protecting the phone from moving around within the shell. There is not a lot of room for movement, but this foam backing keeps it from happening. The shell is two pieces front and back and snaps together and holds very nicely.

[​IMG]

The front part of the shell has a built in screen protector that protects the screen. The shell has openings for the front camera/earpiece, screen, home button, speakers/dock connection, camera/flash, and the Apple logo. The screen and the Apple logo are covered by screen protector material. The camera opening is made from black plastic instead of the orange so it doesn't effect picture captures.

[​IMG]

The printed silicone skin is firmer than the plain skins and does not stretch as much. The tabs and lips on this silicone hold to the case much better than my other skins. No problems so far. The camo pattern is printed on the silicone, and it is tough. I have been using this case now for three months without any scratches on the design. Now I don't even worry about scratching off the design, and I don't know if it is possible. That is tough. There are three closable openings. One for the charger, one for the silence switch, and one for the headphone jack. There are pass through buttons for the home button, power button and volume buttons.

[​IMG]

The case comes with a belt clip holster which the case snaps very securely into. The belt clip rotates 360 degrees, but snaps into position at any angle and will stay at that angle. The belt clip also locks open so you can prop your phone up on a flat surface to watch video.

[​IMG]

All around this case is very good. It is high quality and well manufactured. Whether you work in the construction industry and need a rugged case, or you are hunting and need awesome protection in case of a 20 foot fall from a tree stand, this case protects your device very well. The only problem I have experienced is if I put my phone into the belt clip volume buttons down, the buttons are being pressed while in the case. There were a couple occasions where the ringer had been turned all the way down, and I found out this was the cause. It doesn't happen every time but it happens enough where I make sure to keep the buttons pointed up. Not enough of a problem to keep this from being a great case. Also I need to give compliment to the customer service department of Otterbox. Anytime I have heard of anyone having a problem with their case, they always say that their problem is handled promptly and professionally. You only hear about that from companies that really care about their customers.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Very nice write up / review!

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

My friend has the same, and my silicon is actually tougher then his. It's very tough. And the plain case is actually my gripper as the camo is smoother. Cool case nonetheless.

Good review!

4. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I have 2 of the camo cases. One has already been replaced because the corner over volume buttons is weak. It tore in just 2 applications of the case. (yes, I was gentle) otterbox said it was an issue and replaced the rubber with no troubles. Other than that, it's much nicer than the old cases.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app