Otterbox Defender Series (new and improved!) w/ pics

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I got my Otterbox Defender v2 today. Literally 30 minutes ago. And all I got to say is they fixed it! The rubber skin is nice and tight. They improved the sides so that that the rubber fits around three plastic pieces instead of one long plastic strip with rubber running up and down the sides. The top and bottom appear to be the same but the bottom rubber seems to form fit better in the new version. The holster allows the case to slip in and out easily but stay very secure, no more lodging! There is still a little bubbling effect but if you wipe your hand across the iPhone's screen it fixes it. I am EXTREMELY happy with the new version. They did it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I want to get a really tough case for travel and this one looks really good. Can you only get it on their website? It says it will not ship for 7-10 days, and I want it to travel over the holidays.
thanks!

Nov 9, 2007
I want to get a really tough case for travel and this one looks really good. Can you only get it on their website? It says it will not ship for 7-10 days, and I want it to travel over the holidays.
thanks!
I just ordered this today from otterbox and it shipped today :)

PS. I got an email from them with a 15% off promo coupone using the code holidaycoupon. Saved enough to have it shipped 2nd day air :-p

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I saw the video. I love your blog! Thanks for all the info you guys post there for us. I still did not order the case. I did not know if I would get it before I went out of town.
Wow, thanks for the very kind words, and glad to hear you like our site.
Bummer on not getting the case yet - did you get a cheap one just to tide you over on a trip, or still working it out?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Wow, thanks for the very kind words, and glad to hear you like our site.
Bummer on not getting the case yet - did you get a cheap one just to tide you over on a trip, or still working it out?
I found your site from Mike's (Tinman) signature when I first joined. He is really helpful here also.

I have a Beyza slip leather case that is perfect for my purse (or back jeans pocket), but I will use the iPhone a lot on my trip, and I am afraid I will drop it. I think I will just stop by the Apple store and get something there that will work for the trip. I really want to get a Vaja holster (the one with the flip lid), so maybe a a cheaper skin of some kind or the Agent 18 will hold me over. Lots of people here like the Agent 18 and I think it is usually in stock at the Apple store.

Thanks again for the link to the video!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I just ordered this today from otterbox and it shipped today :)

PS. I got an email from them with a 15% off promo coupone using the code holidaycoupon. Saved enough to have it shipped 2nd day air :-p
Thanks for the info! I think the whole thing where is said "due to overwhelming demand this will ship in 7-10 days" scared me off. The case, to me, is ugly but functional, and I would only use it traveling. I was too indecisive and worried about not getting it on time before I leave.

I appreciate the coupon code sharing!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sounds like a good plan.
I have been using the Vaja iVolution holster case for several weeks now, and will do a review soon - but the short story is I love it big-time.
Hope the 'temp' case works out well and your trip is great ...

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the info! I think the whole thing where is said "due to overwhelming demand this will ship in 7-10 days" scared me off. The case, to me, is ugly but functional, and I would only use it traveling. I was too indecisive and worried about not getting it on time before I leave.

I appreciate the coupon code sharing!
No problem, I ordered my case last thursday and it shipped on Friday. I received it today. It adds a little but more bulk to the phone, but I don't mind. I definitely feel a lot better about my phone being protected!

Now if I can only get rid of those air bubbles,......

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
my review of this product

Well I got this case about a month ago and decided to give it a try before I gave any opinions. Finding instructions and information on YouTube, and this site made the task of installing this case a piece of cake. I had no bubbles on the screen like other people had. (I did follow the directions of wiping your hand on the screen prior to installing the case. That could be why I had no bubbles, because I intentionally tried to get bubbles and didn't.) This case is like 2 or 3 separate accessories. First it has covers for the touch screen, the camera lens, the light sensor, and the Apple logo. The screen cover works well as the touch screen has only suffered a tiny bit of "sense loss". In my case it made my iPhone use better because my "less deliberate" touches are not sensed. I have noticed no difference in the pictures I take using the case, so the camera lens cover also works well. The Apple logo cover piece is the same piece of material as the camera lens cover, so your precious logo will remain unscratched. However, the material that covers the screen, lens, and logo, is not scratch resistant. In the month that I have been using this, the screen cover has been scratched a bit. Minor scratches but scratches none-the-less. Since the purpose of this material is to keep the screen from being scratched and to keep dust out, it has done well. (If the cover becomes so scratched I can't use it, I will remove it and still be better off than some of the other cases.) The second "accessory" to this case is the hard plastic case that snaps together, in which all of the clear covers are attached. It is a hard plastic material that is fit well to the phone, so the phone does not seem to "move about" in the case. (A previous case I had was not fit well to the phone and it scratched up my phone terribly.) This case has kept my phone in good condition, and has not scratched the chrome bezel. (My previous iPhone had a scratched bezel from a clear case I was using. Very irritating!) The hard plastic has covered openings for the camera, the Apple logo, the light sensor above the screen, the screen itself, it also has a fabric type cover for the earpiece, the microphone, and the speaker. This fabric cuts into volume a bit, and that gets worse when you have it in the holster, which has no openings for sound to escape. It has uncovered openings for the headphone jack, power button, the volume button, the home button, and the charging/syncing jack. These openings are covered up by the third "accessory", the softer "rubber" cover. This component will keep your phone from sliding from your hand or sliding around inside your vehicle. It covers the buttons but everything works through the case except for the silence switch. You would have to remove the case to switch it. This case also has a holster with a swivel belt clip, which when used would completely cover the screen adding another layer of protection. So far I have been very pleased with this case. I was worried about getting it before-hand because of all the negative things I heard about it. I am glad I got it though because all of the negative things I had heard must have been about "the first phase" mentioned in this thread. The only negative things about this case are the silence switch covered up, and the screen cover scratching. But since other cases don't even have a screen cover, this case is still a step ahead. This case is a little more expensive than average cases, but it is not your average case. Well worth the money!