Otterbox defender white iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Melssa, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Melssa

Melssa New Member

I just bought a otterbox for my white iPhone 4 and when I am on the phone my screen does not darken anymore and im constantly putting people on hold or speaker... Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It definitely sounds like that OtterBox isn't letting the proximity sensor do its thing. That's what turns the screen off when you have the phone to your ear... If you're sure you installed the box 100% properly then call the company and arrange for an exchange (or refund), because that OtterBox clearly isn't working as advertised. :)

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I remember seeing posts from some people that cut out the part that covers the proximity sensor.

4. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Yes, the otter box is the wrong one. It's supposed to be universal for 4s different than for the 4. Also I found the knock offs had the sensor probs. I had the exact problem, shake your phone, if something rattles, your proximity sensor is bad. If it doesn't, take the little piece of plastic off the top of the case, where the ear piece is, just peel it off. That will fix it. It did mine and google it, there are videos in YouTube. Good luck!

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Do you have the iPhone 4 or 4s? If you have a 4s in the Otterbox case for the 4 ( which does work ), is there a black painted line on the case where the proximity sensor is?
    I took a sharp knife edge and lightly scraped this paint line off and it works great on the 4s.
    Edit: which iPhone 4 do you have? Verizon or AT&T? There was a difference in those models with the vibrate / mute switch being lower on the Verizon model.

6. Melssa

Melssa New Member

I emailed otterbox and I have a white iPhone 4 and they said they will send me a replacement, the 4s otterbox fixes that issue and fits the white iPhone 4 thanks everyone for your input