Otterbox Defender?

Odaak

Jul 4, 2009
I was looking at the Otterbox Defender for my 3G and was wondering what the people who had it thought about it. I've read review after review, but I would like real ppl to actually comment :laugh2:

I work in a jail, so my iPhone goes in my cargo pocket. I haven't dropped it (yet) but my Crackberry got dropped every now and then from pulling it out/putting it in my pocket.

I don't really need the belt clip, so I'm glad it's detachable. Im using a leather case with the plasctic screen protector I got from the AT&T store. They said something about the Otterbox? (Not sure if that was the case) being recalled due to echoing because the case covered too much of the phone? I don't remember exactly what is was, only that the case was $44.95, which is what the Otterbox costs.

Any help would be appreciated :cool:

Cart2579

Aug 15, 2008
I have one and really only use it for outdoor stuff and when working/fabricating in the garage. Keeps the iPhone safe and resistance to most things. I've dropped, tossed and stepped on it and it seems to hold up very very well. And it doesn't feel extra or too bulky for me, but you might change your mind with the belt clip. The rubber cover doesn't slide into your pocket very well. Plus the clip is very secure with the iPhone facing in-ward.

I would say for it, if you don't like sell it on Ebay......and they are cheaper on ebay.

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
I have one but I'm an outdoorsman who appreciates the extra protection it's not anymore difficult for me to slide it in and out of my pocket than than the ifrogz I had on it before I have dropped mine from the top of the combine onto the blacktop driveway that's the best test I've done not on purpose BTW but all was well even from that fall! I cant wait to see what happens to it during deer season! I know I like this case cause I can treat my expensive phone no different than a $20 go phone with no worries I like having that relief!

Wtf0ver

Bronze
Jul 2, 2009
i have one on my iPhone and love it. protects it very well and have had no issues with distorted sound. when i get a 3gs im getting one for it as well

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I have the V1 and the 3Gs, and the biggest difference to me is in the clip. The V1 clip was decent and kept the phone well. The new clip does not keep the phone as well. Since you will be pocketing the phone, you don't have to worry about the clip though. If you get this case you will have no worries.

Odaak

Jul 4, 2009
Thank you all for your help. I'll do a google on it and get a decently priced one

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
This video should thwart your insecurities.

Otterbox Defender Series Drop Test

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I don't know when I'd ever expect a $50 case to survive a 20 ft drop... It is by far the most durable case for an iPhone. Read reviews. Also, I believe there's a company called Element something or other. Their cases look great and are supposedly quite durable. They don't have the reputation yet tho and hey want $100 per case.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I admit that was a pretty extreme drop, and something that would most likely never happen to the average iPhone user. The furthest drop most people would experience is just a few feet.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
Indeed. I saw the series of six foot drops and stopped the video and ordered one. Should be here within a week or so.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I just got mine in today for my 3GS, and so far I like it.

Few things to note, though that portrait texting is a bit trickier. Because the case adds so much body to the phone, hitting the keys on the edges is a bit harder if you use your thumbs. Also, the audio has gotten quieter, but since I'm on silent pretty much 99% of the time, but for some of you this could be a problem.

As it turns out, it's the dock cover that muffles the sound, not sure why because there are cutouts for the speaker and mic, but maybe there will be a new version that isn't affected by this.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I just got mine in today for my 3GS, and so far I like it.

Few things to note, though that portrait texting is a bit trickier. Because the case adds so much body to the phone, hitting the keys on the edges is a bit harder if you use your thumbs. Also, the audio has gotten quieter, but since I'm on silent pretty much 99% of the time, but for some of you this could be a problem.

As it turns out, it's the dock cover that muffles the sound, not sure why because there are cutouts for the speaker and mic, but maybe there will be a new version that isn't affected by this.
Try moving homescreen icons to different screens. It is a fun task with this case.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I've noticed this as well. I've also noticed bubbling in the screen. Is this avoidable?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I've noticed this as well. I've also noticed bubbling in the screen. Is this avoidable?
Yeah search YouTube for the baby powder fix. Baby powder works to stop the bubbles, just look up the technique there so you know how to do it before making an attempt.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Try moving homescreen icons to different screens. It is a fun task with this case.
Actually, I don't have a problem doing that, I tested it just to see what it would be like :)

I think it was a 3.0 update that made moving icons easier. I remember on 2.2 with my V1 moving icons from one screen to another was a pain, because one they would install on the first screen by default, which meant dragging it to page 5. Of course every time the screen moved, an icon got pushed to the other screen.

It's pretty simple just hovering the icon over by the edge of the screen, and it will scroll through screens, just don't move the icon and it wont move any apps out of the way.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Actually, I don't have a problem doing that, I tested it just to see what it would be like :)

I think it was a 3.0 update that made moving icons easier. I remember on 2.2 with my V1 moving icons from one screen to another was a pain, because one they would install on the first screen by default, which meant dragging it to page 5. Of course every time the screen moved, an icon got pushed to the other screen.

It's pretty simple just hovering the icon over by the edge of the screen, and it will scroll through screens, just don't move the icon and it wont move any apps out of the way.
My fingers must be too fat! I have to struggle to get close enough to the edge of the case to get the icon to push to the next screen.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I have the same problem with my fngers. In safari right now, it's pretty difficult to hit the window viewer button. And return on the keyboard.

Also I could not find that baby powder video.