Otterbox has acquired LifeProof

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by mrbunglez, May 22, 2013.

1. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Otterbox has acquired LifeProof so now they join forces to create an awesome case. 2 great case companies working together like Reese's peanut butter cups, Oreo, etc.......
    Can't wait to see the awesome products they come out with.

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1369260420.700331.jpg

Yep

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

3. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Just hope this doesn't ruin LifeProof. That's all I have to say about that.

4. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Life proof is gonna be 2" thick and weigh 5 lbs now. Lol at least it will work correctly!

Sent using iCafe app

5. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

Nah I think the case dimensions of the LifeProof will stay intact. But will be a better usable phone with hopefully better engineering for the sound because you have a bunch of great minds tinkering on a case. What made LifeProof was how thin the case was, I don't think OB would be wise to screw that up. But who knows.

6. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

All I want for the next case by both of them is a glass screen like the atlas, then all will be well.

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Honestly, I think otterbox really didn't have a choice in the matter. They've been around a lot longer, and went from being "The" name in protection, to just another case company when Lifeproof hit the market.
    You want a case that can handle being on a construction site, I'd say otterbox.
    You want a case that handles 6' drops and can go 6' deep into water, AND comes In a very slim design, you go lifeproof.
    I haven't thought of otterbox being waterproof for a very long time.
    Lifeproof took that market share and flew away with it. FAR away.
    Now, the only way otterbox is going to survive is by buying to competition.
    What comes next will be the test on whether or not they make things better... Or fubar both sides of the fence.
    My personal opinion is that there is a 60% chance of something better coming out of this, but a 40% chance of screwing up, taking too long and losing to another new company, or maintaining the huge bulky cases they are now known for, and letting lifeproof slowly disappear.

Sent using iCafe app

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I don't care who buys who, but both companies need to develop much less bulky cases. Ugh, all of their iPhone cases are so ugly IMO.

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

LifeProofs cases are bulky? What the heck you looking for, a bumper?

10. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I just hope that OB doesn't let LP fadeout. Hopefully something good will come out of this.

Sent using iCafe app

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Based on my usage and what I've seen, Lifeproof could certainly benefit from greater quality control, something that could happen under the Otterbox umbrella. Interesting move for sure.

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

This is what I think ... at least crossed my mind.
    LP has some insight on the future of iPhone
    There are at least 2 phones coming out that are waterproof.
    The next iPhone will be rugged and waterproof that will be the new trend

13. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I was an OB fanboy until LP hit the scene. I haven't looked back except for the 4/4S belt clip design that I've chewed through a few of. The new belt clip has been improved but I haven't updated to the 5 so I haven't been able to experience it first hand. I never had an issue with the OB belt clip.

My hope is that the combined resources and engineering genius brings a line of cases that brings ultimate levels of protection across a range of styles. I can't see how any case could be slimmer and more protective than the LP, but it could be more functional and user friendly. The new OB, though bulky to the extreme, is certainly relevant to some users and environments, but not to me. I'm eager to see what these combined forces come up with for our precious devices!

14. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

I with you on that. I have the iPhone 5 and with the LifeProof and belt clip and yes the new belt clip is better then before. The only thing that I'm a little disappointed about LP is that they discontinued the GoPro mount for their case and never released one for the iPhone 5. What I hope they do is make their defender series and take the Armor and combine it with the LifeProof slimness to create the ultimate waterproof case. Maybe this way they won't have many problems with the screen protector on the LP case.

Sent using iCafe app

15. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

I'm hoping for a clear LifeProof Frē case with a glass screen protector like the Atlas. That would be the end all of cases for me and I could die a happy case man.

16. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

You just buy the belt clip for the 5 and use your existing go pro mount on it.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Doubtful. It would need plugs and an o-ring to be truly waterproof and few want that hindrance. I like easy access to my ports and I'm not giving that up so I can take my iPhone snorkeling. I value easy access to my iPhone ports. The iPhone 5 is already water resistant and that's the best of both worlds. LP doesn't have any more insight than any of us.

18. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

To me they are. I love very thin cases that allow the phone to be enjoyed the way it was designed. That being said, I rarely drop my phone and don't need it to be "life proof". I can see the need for max protection for some, but that's not my need.

19. nujsimon

nujsimon New Member

No one can ever predict when their phone gets soaked or dumped into water or any liquid. I just wish that they can make waterproof cases a little cheaper say $25-50 only with different colors so people will buy a couple or more cases.

Sent using iCafe app

20. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Like Reese's peanut butter cups? WTH? Reese's is made by one company, Hershey. Always has been. :p

They won't ruin the case, they'll make it better. And, they're not working with LifeProof, LifeProof is working for them. Soon they'll change the name to OtterBox.

Maybe they'll (OtterBox) can fix the pillowing screen issues.

Sent using iCafe app