OtterBox Preserver 5S &5C announced

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
So you guys are not seeing what I am seeing?

Looks like a hole straight through the screen protector with perhaps a silicone ring seal for waterproofing.

As discussed elsewhere, don't think there is any other way to do it. Fingertip has to make contact w/sensor....

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
The only way I can see the FP scanner to work is if the case has some type of membrane to keep the water out but thin enough so the scanner can successfuly read your FP. The membrane could have some type of metallic section that when made contact with the ring to activate the FP scanner. Just my hypothesis.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
^

That's exactly why I don't think it's covered....
Any membrane solution would be so convoluted.
Think a good pliable (silicone?) ring to seal out moisture should do it, with the lower portion surrounded by the rigid material pushing against the seal back on the 5S.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Seems like it would be pretty easy to seal around the home button. Don't they already do this with the entire screen on the LifeProof Nuud and the rear camera on some of the waterproof cases? The home button itself is waterproof.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Looks like they are leaving the spot for the fingerprint scanner naked....

View attachment 31420
Seems like it would be pretty easy to seal around the home button. Don't they already do this with the entire screen on the LifeProof Nuud and the rear camera on some of the waterproof cases? The home button itself is waterproof.
It seems to me that this model would seal around the home button, and that it's naked, like the screen in the nuud case. This would lead me to believe that the home button itself is waterproof. I'll trust the case if OB releases it.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
So you guys are not seeing what I am seeing?

Looks like a hole straight through the screen protector with perhaps a silicone ring seal for waterproofing.

As discussed elsewhere, don't think there is any other way to do it. Fingertip has to make contact w/sensor....
My sensor works through a ziplock bag, so a plastic membrane would work.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The button itself is waterproof, but its the gap around the button and the sensor ring that I would think still needs to be covered.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The button itself is waterproof, but its the gap around the button and the sensor ring that I would think still needs to be covered.
I think it's waterproof there as well, but I guess we'll find out. If it isn't, they aren't going to be able to do it without a membrane over the entire button since that tiny gap goes right to the ring.

lmluciano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2010
I bought the Ottterbox Defender for the 5s and am totally not happy with it. The amount of dust that enters through the hole around the home button is ridiculous. I'm returning it and going back to the Defender I have for the 5. Of course this means I'll have to give up using the fingerprint scanner for now and wait for a better design to come out for the 5s

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I bought the Ottterbox Defender for the 5s and am totally not happy with it. The amount of dust that enters through the hole around the home button is ridiculous. I'm returning it and going back to the Defender I have for the 5. Of course this means I'll have to give up using the fingerprint scanner for now and wait for a better design to come out for the 5s
Get a lifeproof. Much sleeker design

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk