Out-of-Box 1.1.2 IMPOSSIBLE to unlock currently

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The OOB 1.1.2 iPhones come with a new bootloader, version 4.6, while prior iPhones come with version 3.9, including upgraded 1.1.2 iPhones. This means that if you have an OOB 1.1.2 iPhone, you cannot unlock it currently! The hackers are working hard to figure it out, and you can check their status by going to this webiste:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgzw9xs_0gfhxns

Check the bottom right hand box in the table. Do you see the big red No there? That means it's still impossible. Wait for that to turn to Yes and then head over to hackint0sh.org > iPhone > Unlocking to learn how to do it.

So if you are trying to unlock an OOB 1.1.2 iPhone, give up now and stop fretting about it because you will fail.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
No Biggy!

The vast majority of people who want to unlock want to unlock so they're not tied to an 18-month £35 monthly contract. (or are declined one!)

You can still jailbreak, and activate the UK phone and then use it with any PAYG or contract O2 sim.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
why must Apple do this to us. cant they just unlock all phones. i mean jeuses come on APPLE!
They make as much as $30 a month per iPhone user on AT&T, which after 2 years becomes $720, almost twice the value of the iPhone in pure profit. I can understand why they're working hard to keep it locked. They are only losing money on T-Mobile users in the U.S. tho (me!), because people who buy unlocked iPhones outside the U.S. would have never got one anyway. Personally, I think it's a toss-up for Apple as far as the profit there, but they definitely need to keep AT&T happy to guarantee that $30 a month. I bet there's some sort of breach-of-contract clause that makes Apple lose that money unless they constantly work hard to keep the phones locked.