Out of contract unlock via iTunes?

1. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

I've finished my contract with Optus (Australia) and enquired about having my iPhone 4 unlocked which was no problem & then I was told I just need to do a restore via iTunes to complete the unlock proceedure. Why should I have to do that? Of course this will wipe my JB & update me from 5.1.1 to 6 point something for which there is no JB to my knowledge at this time. I do not want to stay with Optus as there are amaysim and dodo pre paid options with unlimited talk n text with 2-3 more GB per month all for $20 less per month than Optus plan, and they use the same Optus network! What's this scam of having to restore via iTunes to complete the unlock? Any ideas?

2. blastewitz

blastewitz Member
    Bronze

Well if you JB your iPhone. I'm on three UK . Recently unlocked my iPhone 4S but the only thing the 3ppl asked me was just to connect my iPhone to my PC obviously iTunes open. But it didn't restore or asked me to press restore. My iPhone is not JB though. I think it only needs to be seen in iTunes for the unlock process to take place. Go to a iPhone unlock shop and ask them before doing that.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for that. I've connected to iTunes & done a sync guess I'll see for sure in a couple of days when the transfer to new carrier goes through. Looks like I can downgrade back to 5.1.1 if needed.

5. blastewitz

blastewitz Member
    Bronze

You don't needed to sync. iTunes only needs to recognize your iPhone then it'll reboot on its own and the unlock is done. If course you do this only after your operator sends u a text with confirmation that your request has been processed and you can connect your iPhone to your pc or mac. They shud give u instructions in the text on what to do next such as connect iPhone to iTunes .

6. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks but it all went through without having to restore.