Outlook 2007 Contacts "Selected Groups"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Howdy, does anyone know how to use the "selected groups" option when syncing Outlook 2007 contacts to your iPhone? Thank you!

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Howdy, does anyone know how to use the "selected groups" option when syncing Outlook 2007 contacts to your iPhone? Thank you!
If you are talking about having your contacts on your iPhone in groups, it can't be done yet. Maybe the update will resolve this.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Hello All...I've been reading these forums a lot and this is my first post!

I tried the instructions listed here http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/how-to-make-a-group-in-contacts.4578/
to create my Contact groups. My contacts from Outlook 2007 automatically showed up in the "Main Identity's Contacts" folder, so I didn't have to re-enter anything. I then docked my iPhone and went into iTunes, under the Info tab, and changed the Contact Sync Option to "Windows Address Book" and synced. It prompted me to overwrite existing Outlook contacts with the ones from Windows Address Book or merge them both. Since the contacts are all the same in both places, I merged them. Which actually there won't be anything to merge because the contacts in both places are identical. This just gives you the ability to sync the groups you just created in the Windows Address Book to your iPhone. After the sync, I went back into iTunes and changed the Contact Sync Option to "Outlook". It prompted me again to choose overwrite existing contacts or merge. I chose Merge once again. That gave me the ability to keep my contact group lists that I made and continue to use Outlook 2007 as my sync program of choice. I suppose if/when you wanted to add/modify your contact groups, you'd have to follow that procedure again.

This was just something I tried to actually see if it would work! It did! I know it's a bit much, but it will work for me until someone comes up with something better/easier.

Thanks to DeadSpider for the original post. I hope it was ok for me to link to your post.

I hope this will help someone! Sorry for the long post.:eek:

Good Day All :)

Last edited by a moderator:

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
I still cannot find Windows contacts in my Vista and Outlook 2007. All I have is Outlook contacts.
Finding the Contacts folder in Windows Vista

1. Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.

How to create contact groups

2. On the toolbar, click New Contact Group, type a name in the Group Name box, and then fill in the boxes on the Contact Group tab and Contact Group Details tab. You don't have to fill in all the boxes; just type as much information as you want about the new contact group you are creating.
3. Add contacts to the contact group in any of the following ways:
•To add individual contacts to the group from your existing contacts, click Add to Contact Group.
•To create new contacts and add them to the contact group, click Create New Contact.
•To add new people to the contact group without also adding them to your individual contacts, type the appropriate information in the Contact Name and E‑Mail boxes, and then click Create for Group Only.
4. When you have finished creating your contact group, click OK.

I hope this helps you.

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
Hello All...I've been reading these forums a lot and this is my first post!

I tried the instructions listed here http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/how-to-make-a-group-in-contacts.4578/
to create my Contact groups. My contacts from Outlook 2007 automatically showed up in the "Main Identity's Contacts" folder, so I didn't have to re-enter anything. I then docked my iPhone and went into iTunes, under the Info tab, and changed the Contact Sync Option to "Windows Address Book" and synced. It prompted me to overwrite existing Outlook contacts with the ones from Windows Address Book or merge them both. Since the contacts are all the same in both places, I merged them. Which actually there won't be anything to merge because the contacts in both places are identical. This just gives you the ability to sync the groups you just created in the Windows Address Book to your iPhone. After the sync, I went back into iTunes and changed the Contact Sync Option to "Outlook". It prompted me again to choose overwrite existing contacts or merge. I chose Merge once again. That gave me the ability to keep my contact group lists that I made and continue to use Outlook 2007 as my sync program of choice. I suppose if/when you wanted to add/modify your contact groups, you'd have to follow that procedure again.

This was just something I tried to actually see if it would work! It did! I know it's a bit much, but it will work for me until someone comes up with something better/easier.

Thanks to DeadSpider for the original post. I hope it was ok for me to link to your post.

I hope this will help someone! Sorry for the long post.:eek:

Good Day All :)
:) I am glad you got it all sorted out. I seen your post in the guide thread,
but I was at work on my iPhone and was going to wait till I got home in front of my PC before I replied, so I could try to find an answer for you.
Again, congrats on your solution.

*EDIT*
It was actually @Dallas Phil 's post I was thinking about, my bad. Its all
good though. Its been a long day. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Well thanks, but it was you who actually got the ball rolling. I just played with it a little! It's nice to be able to go into the groups and find a contact instead of scrolling through them all, especially if you have a long list of them. :laugh2:

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I was able to create subgroups in Windows Address book as explained. But there is a funny side effect. Let me explain why I did this using Windows address book instead of Outlook - I have 2 iPhones and 1 PC - and I could not figure out groups using Outlook. So I wanted groups inorder to sync unique contacts from each phone. I created 2 groups in Windows Address Book which created the two groups under Main Identity's Contacts in this program. Now I astarted with iPhones that had contacts and a Windows Address Book that was BLANK. When syncing each iPhone - I was able to move the contacts into the appropiate group in Windows Address book. However the iPhones now have 2 groups - One called All Contacts and one called the goup name I had in Windows Address Book. Both of the groups on the iPhone are identical - so this is more of an annoyance than anything. Each iPhone has unique lists of contacts - sweet. I can no backup my wifes and my iPhone contacts on the same computer.

Is there any way to remove the 'All Contacts' group or rather simply have this one group on the iPhone rather than two identical groups?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
I was able to create subgroups in Windows Address book as explained. But there is a funny side effect. Let me explain why I did this using Windows address book instead of Outlook - I have 2 iPhones and 1 PC - and I could not figure out groups using Outlook. So I wanted groups inorder to sync unique contacts from each phone. I created 2 groups in Windows Address Book which created the two groups under Main Identity's Contacts in this program. Now I astarted with iPhones that had contacts and a Windows Address Book that was BLANK. When syncing each iPhone - I was able to move the contacts into the appropiate group in Windows Address book. However the iPhones now have 2 groups - One called All Contacts and one called the goup name I had in Windows Address Book. Both of the groups on the iPhone are identical - so this is more of an annoyance than anything. Each iPhone has unique lists of contacts - sweet. I can no backup my wifes and my iPhone contacts on the same computer.

Is there any way to remove the 'All Contacts' group or rather simply have this one group on the iPhone rather than two identical groups?

The "All Contacts" group is just that, all the contacts you have on your phone. That is standard, so it can't be deleted. We just tweaked it a little bit.

Don't let it bother you too bad. I'm glad you got your groups set up.:laugh2:

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Princess. I did find Windows contacts thanks, but I do not have an option on the toold bar for "New Contact Group". I guess I could just add my contacts to Windows contacts and change the synch fron Outlook contacts to Windows contacts.

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Princess. I did find Windows contacts thanks, but I do not have an option on the toold bar for "New Contact Group". I guess I could just add my contacts to Windows contacts and change the synch fron Outlook contacts to Windows contacts.
Ok, I did some reading. Based on what I read, there is a problem with the "New Contact Group Button" not showing in Vista. The link below has a simple solution to this problem. It includes screenshots which should be helpful. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...contact-group-button-not-displaying-in-vista/

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Princess THANK YOU! I am not using Windows contacts versus Outlook 2007 contacts and it synced perfectly. I wish that Outlook Groups would work but I am by no means complaining. Thank you so much! Do you by any chance know that name of the Vista Windows contact file so i can ack it up? Thanks!

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
You're welcome! I'm glad you got everything working! You can export your contacts to a file and save them that way.

Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.

On the toolbar, click Export, and then click one of the following formats:
CSV (Comma Separated Values).
vCard (folder of .vcf files).

Click Export, select a folder where you want to store your contacts in the new format, and then click OK.

When a message appears telling you that the contacts export process has completed, click OK, and then click Close.

That should take care of backing up those Windows contacts. Let me know how this works for you. :)