Outlook Calendar Not Syncing

niranjan

Jul 12, 2008
I tried syncing my iPhone with iTunes and the contacts sync, but the calendar won't sync. I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find anyone who had this problem and figured out how to fix it. I am running Windows XP with Outlook 2003. I disabled all Add ins except iTunes in Outlook. I tried resetting my sync history and syncing from computer to iPhone and just can't seem to get the calendar appointments onto the phone. Please help!

Jin

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I tried syncing my iPhone with iTunes and the contacts sync, but the calendar won't sync. I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find anyone who had this problem and figured out how to fix it. I am running Windows XP with Outlook 2003. I disabled all Add ins except iTunes in Outlook. I tried resetting my sync history and syncing from computer to iPhone and just can't seem to get the calendar appointments onto the phone. Please help!

Jin
check your sync options in iTunes

KLGolden

Jul 13, 2008
My environment:
Computer - PC
OS - Windows XP Pro SP2
Apple Products - iPhone 3G with iTunes 7.7
Software - Miscrosoft Office with Outlook 2002 to 2007

Problem:
I was running Outlook 2002 and purchased my iPhone 3G on 7/12/08. I tried to sync my Outlook 2002 with the iPhone via iTunes using the USB connection. The contact items synced fine however the calendar items did not.

WARNING - MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR PST FILE OR PERSONAL FILE FOLDER IN OUTLOOK BEFORE GOING FORWARD!

Solution, in 2 parts:
First - you must have Outlook 2003 or 2007 to sync with the iPhone 3G. As far as I know, this is what iPhone 3G supports. I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the trial verson (60-days) of Office 2007 with Outlook 2007, reason being if this solution did not work I did not want be out the money for an upgrade. (FYI - Outlook 2007 can also be purchased alone instead of as a bundle with all Office programs but not just asa trial version).

Second -
* I tried importing my old 2002 pst file directly into an Outlook 2007 personal folder file using the import from pst file function. This did not sync.
* I tried copying the data from the old 2002 pst file into the new Outlook 2007 personal folder file. This did not sync.
* I started with a completely new profile on Outlook 2007, reset the sync history on my iPhone through iTunes, and created a new calendar item in the newly created personal folder file in Outlook 2007. I synced my iPhone yet again and it added this new calendar entry to my iPhone. I then added an item on my iPhone and synced it again, it added this item to Outlook. Finally, getting somewhere!
* End solution - I searched many discussion threads and wasn't able to find a solution but was able to piece one together for my issue. If you had Outlook 2002 (or earlier pst data) that converted to 2003 or 2007 the calendar items will still not sync with the iPhone but contact items do seem to sync. My end solution was to create a new personal file folder in Outlook 2007 (completely clear and free of data). I went into my old personal file folder (or PST file) and exported my calendar items to a CSV file. I then set my newly created data free file as my default file folder in Outlook 2007. I then imported the CSV calendar data into the new Outlook 2007 personal file folder. I lost the functionality of recurring items on my old calendar items though; I had to reconfigure the recurring items imported from the CSV file manually. I then copied and pasted all data from my old PST or personal data file to the newly created file. I tried a lot of other methods and this seems to be the only way that I could get my calendar items to sync.

I hope this helps.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I am having a similar issue, however, I can get my calendar events entered on my computer to sync with my iPhone but if I add a calendar event from my iPhone and sync, it does not add an event in Outlook for me. I am on Outlook 2007. Any thoughts?

iFatty

Jul 22, 2008
Our exchange works great from PC to phone.

However when we make an appointment on the phone itself it wont upload the appointment to our exchange server.

Only if you do an iTunes Synch.

That is frustrating.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
that seems to be a glich with iTunes sync capability. Technically this is not true sync if you can't have data on both devices simultaneously.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Mine doesn't sync to the calendar either

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
pretty sad we can't get the phone to do a simple calendar sync without having to call AT&T and sit on tech support for an hour! Think I may be going back to Verizon! Decisions decisions.

louveres

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grayslake, Illinois
I'm having the same problem with XP SP2 and Outlook 2003. Calendar won't sync. It seems like this started with 2.0. Now I got the new iPhone 3g and I'm having the same problem. I followed all the instructions from Apple's site, and still no fix.

Any additional info would be great, if you guys figure it out..

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
After almost 3 hours with Apple Tech support no solution! Pretty pathetic on Apples part. Can't get a simple calendar event to sync. I thought my Treo had problems.

jerryf

Jul 16, 2008
I just stumbled on this problem too. I am a convert from a decade of using Palm Pilots and have had no problems with the iPhone until now. Did Apple Tech Suppport indicate if they had accepted this as a bug?

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I just stumbled on this problem too. I am a convert from a decade of using Palm Pilots and have had no problems with the iPhone until now. Did Apple Tech Suppport indicate if they had accepted this as a bug?
I wouldn't say that is how he put it but he did say that others were experiencing the same issue but he had no real fix. Like I said we worked for almost 3 hours with no solution. I did create a new user on Win XP and was able to get it to work but not in my current calendar.

The Apple tech escalated the issue and said I need to call back in 2 or 3 days for an update. Apparently there is another team that you can't speak with on the phone that investigates stuff like this and then gets back to the particular Apple tech. I will post when I get a response from the Apple tech. I'll call back on Thurs. or Fri.

rasputinj

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
after having inconsistent syncing via USB for changes I made on the iPhone in Contacts and Calendar. I then tried MobileMe which did not work with out Exchange Mode of Outlook. I then configured Outlook --> Google Calendar Sync --> Google Calendar --> NuevaSync --> iPhone. It seems complicated but it works and it is Over The Air. I also use NuevaSync through Plaxo for contacts. I can make changes on Calendar and add calendar and contacts and so far it has worked quite well.

Nuevasync is free and the beta works a lot better for than MobileMe did.

jerryf

Jul 16, 2008
Rasputinj - Wow, that is certainly a creative work-around. I am amazed that you figured that out. Being a simple soul, I think that I will give Apple a chance to fix this thing rather than have to go through all those steps. However, if I don't see them come up with a fix in a reasonable time frame, I just may give your approach a try. You definitely deserve the ingenuity award.

jerryf

Jul 16, 2008
Good news. It looks like the update to iTunes has fixed the problem. That certainly makes life a bit easier.

Jerry

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
WOW, I am updating now. I am going to be bummed if I had to spend 3 hours on tech support for a problem that was fixed 2 days later. If that is the case Apple Tech support needs to figure out a better system. If this was in the new build the tech support reps should have access to that info. and should have told me about it before wasting 3 hours. That pisses me off! Nonetheless, its fixed...I hope!

***Thanks Jerryf, that did the trick***

nvt

Jan 14, 2009
This si a useful thread and wanted to add to the background and info - I believe I identified the problem for my set up and see some common threads....
Many of the suggestions work because they can fix a corrupt calendar entry in Outlook that causes the sync problem.
You can find the details of the steps and what I did here
I hope this is useful

May 11, 2010
South Louisiana
My environment:
Computer - PC
OS - Windows XP Pro SP3
Apple Products - iPhone 3GS with iTunes 9
Software - Miscrosoft Office with Outlook 2002 SP3
This is a work computer at my office.

I do not sync my iPhone with Outlook over the air. I plug my phone into my PC and sync it through iTunes. I had no trouble doing this until recently when my employer upgraded my computer hardware. Afterward, my phone would no longer sync with my Outlook calendar. All existing appointments remained but no new appointments were getting added and no updates to existing appointments were being made.

Since Outlook 2003 or higher is required to sync with Google calendar, it wasn't an option.

I searched several sites and forums for answers and one person suggested that the problem had to do with recurring appointments that had no specified end date. They stated that adding an end date would fix the problem. I have several recurring appointments that I have created in my calendar to prevent others from scheduling meetings at those times. (It's the only way I can get any work done. Bu wa ha ha ha ha ha.) So I just opened each individual series, set the end date to the year 2020. Sync'd again and, VOILA! It worked. Yay me!

This prompted me to join this forum and share the good news.

Now I've got to go back and find that person who suggested this fix so I can thank them.

Have a good one!

kim