Outlook calendar sync problem fixed!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Hello,

I went to the Apple store and asked a genius about the problem with outlook calendar not syncing all appointements...etc to the iPhone and he told me that this problem is fixed in the new update of iTunes 7.3.1.

I updated iTunes and it is true, the bug is fixed. My Outlook 2007 Calender is completely synched to my iPhone. The new update was released yesterday I believe. The genius told me that this was the main fix in the iTunes Update. I feel good that Apple is thinking about us MS Windows users;)

Regars - Bohs

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
Sorry bud...you must have just gotten lucky...Mine Still not working with either Outlook 2003 or 2007...Still crashing outlook whenever you open it. I am running Windows XP Pro (MCE 2005)

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry bud...you must have just gotten lucky...Mine Still not working with either Outlook 2003 or 2007...Still crashing outlook whenever you open it. I am running Windows XP Pro (MCE 2005)
Inside of Outlook..

Click on "Help/ABOUT MS Office Outlook"

Click on "Disabled Items"

You may have the plug-in for iTunes disabled, enable it and click Ok on everything. This is how I got my contacts to work.

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
The problem occurs BEFORE I even get Outlook open...Outlook (03 or 07) crashes within seconds of opening the program...

I don't have the opportunity, even in safe mode, to disable the addins...

I have found a work around to get them disabled but as soon as they are enabled again the program crashes within seconds of opening it again (or trying to sync from within iTunes)

Thus the problem is not that I can't sync things once Outlook is open it is that I can't even open outlook in the first place. That was not fixed by this new update...The only thing the update fixes is a library access problem...This was termed a minor issue by Apple...The primary purpose of the update was to fix problems with Quick TIme and make it full screen without buying Pro.

Your Apple store guy was wrong or simply misinformed

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The problem occurs BEFORE I even get Outlook open...Outlook (03 or 07) crashes within seconds of opening the program...

I don't have the opportunity, even in safe mode, to disable the addins...

I have found a work around to get them disabled but as soon as they are enabled again the program crashes within seconds of opening it again (or trying to sync from within iTunes)

Thus the problem is not that I can't sync things once Outlook is open it is that I can't even open outlook in the first place. That was not fixed by this new update...The only thing the update fixes is a library access problem...This was termed a minor issue by Apple...The primary purpose of the update was to fix problems with Quick TIme and make it full screen without buying Pro.

Your Apple store guy was wrong or simply misinformed
You don't need to open Outlook when you're syncing the iPhone. Just have the contacts loaded into outlook, close it, and then open iTunes. iTunes will find your outlook data without the program even opened. Try that.

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
unfortunately what happens when you sync your contacts through iTunes is that iTunes DOES have to open outlook...In my case I see it come up right away because I get the critical error message when outlook crashes right away...In either case, I have resigned myself to waiting for a new version of iTunes that DOES fix this problem...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
unfortunately what happens when you sync your contacts through iTunes is that iTunes DOES have to open outlook...In my case I see it come up right away because I get the critical error message when outlook crashes right away...In either case, I have resigned myself to waiting for a new version of iTunes that DOES fix this problem...
I use outlook and it never opens the program. It synced perfectly with all contacts and calendar appointments.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
Well, he's not the only one. I was having the same Outlook sync problems described by so many (error/crash when Outlook opens, sync plugin disabled, re-enabling plugin = Outlook error/crash again, no sync, no love).

I installed the iTunes update yesterday, and with no other changes to my system (XP Pro, Outlook 2003) it now works perfectly.

Brandon!

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hello,

I went to the Apple store and asked a genius about the problem with outlook calendar not syncing all appointements...etc to the iPhone and he told me that this problem is fixed in the new update of iTunes 7.3.1.

I updated iTunes and it is true, the bug is fixed. My Outlook 2007 Calender is completely synched to my iPhone. The new update was released yesterday I believe. The genius told me that this was the main fix in the iTunes Update. I feel good that Apple is thinking about us MS Windows users;)

Regars - Bohs
Mine got fixed too! I was very happy :D

Jul 15, 2007
Hello,

Regars - Bohs
I have 7.3.1.3 and yet it still does not sync. What version of iTunes do you have for mine says it is up todate

Gerry az

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Any idea how to fix this? I am brand new and having this problem. I have the most recent iTunes. I have XP and Outlook 2003. My contacts and everything else synced without any problems. But nothing from my calendar is showing up. I have no disabled items in Outlook.

Any suggestions?

Jul 19, 2007
Any idea how to fix this? I am brand new and having this problem. I have the most recent iTunes. I have XP and Outlook 2003. My contacts and everything else synced without any problems. But nothing from my calendar is showing up. I have no disabled items in Outlook.

Any suggestions?
I don't have any suggestions but a new observation. As I looked through the Outlook email folders on my iPhone I found some synced items in the calendar folder and some synced tasks and memos in their folders. I have no idea how or why or how to move them over to the right place. Alvin at Apple suggested a couple of things. He said to change infinite outlook appts. to finite.

He also said to export the Calendar from Outlook, verify that everything is there, erase all calendar items from Outlook and then re import. He says that since I have used Blackberry and Mobile 5.0 in the past ( and still use BB) there are BB issues and field markers that iTunes doesn't understand. By exporting and reimporting, these issues will be stripped off. I have to say, I am very reluctant to go down that slippery slope. I think I'd rather wait for a newer version of iTunes which hopefully fix this problem.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
I don't have any suggestions but a new observation. As I looked through the Outlook email folders on my iPhone I found some synced items in the calendar folder and some synced tasks and memos in their folders. I have no idea how or why or how to move them over to the right place. Alvin at Apple suggested a couple of things. He said to change infinite outlook appts. to finite.

He also said to export the Calendar from Outlook, verify that everything is there, erase all calendar items from Outlook and then re import. He says that since I have used Blackberry and Mobile 5.0 in the past ( and still use BB) there are BB issues and field markers that iTunes doesn't understand. By exporting and reimporting, these issues will be stripped off. I have to say, I am very reluctant to go down that slippery slope. I think I'd rather wait for a newer version of iTunes which hopefully fix this problem.
This may be my problem. I also have a blackberry (and plan on keeping it). Hmm. Not sure what to do next. Going to try a couple of more things.

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2007
Outlook 03 iPhone sync

I gave up and bought Office 07 and then calendar synced. I don't think Outlook 93 will sync to iPhone. Is Apple and Microoft in cahoots with each other?

Hello,

Regars - Bohs

gordone

Jul 28, 2007
ipod/Outlook sync problem solved -- may work for iPhone

Here's the short version: Couldn't sync Outlook Calendar to ipod. (Contacts, music, etc., synced okay.) This fixed it:
-Back up the Outlook.pst file: Open Outlook, click "File"; "Import and Export"; "Export to a File"; "Personal Folder File (.pst)"; select "Personal Folders" and click in box for "Include all subfolders"; choose where to save the exported file, and click finish. Close Outlook
- Open Outlook, open Calendar; choose "View"; "Arrange By"; "Current View"; "By Category". Click on "Start" column heading to sort by earliest date; select everything up to 2007; and hit delete. close outlook.
- Connect ipod; allow iTunes (make sure its the latest version.) to open Outlook and sync. It worked. ipod now has all calendar events from 2007 on.
My wife and I have two unpoened, in the box, (!) iPhones sitting on my desk. I'm a mac user. She has a WinXP Media Center with all updates, running outlook 2003. She also has a older ipod - 20Gb with the click wheel/B&W screen. She has used it extensively but has never been able to sync her outlook calendar. iTunes (7.3.1) appears to be syncing - the hard drive chugs away for a few minutes. Music, Audio Books, and Contacts come through just fine but no calendar events. Since Outlook is hardwired into her very existence, we agreed that if we couldn't get the ipod to sync the outlook calendar, we would return the iPhones until the sync problem other iPhone users were experiencing was resolved.
Since I have a Macbook that is begging to meet up with the new iPhone...I have been motivated to solve her ipod sync problem!
I tried everything that has been suggested here and on the Apple website to no avail - no calendar events on the ipod. The fixes didn't seem to be the problem... hmmm maybe something to do with the size of her outlook calendar.
Well, she had calendar events dating back to Dec. of 1917! Many, many friend's birthdays entered as recurring events and a myriad of other stuff. I exported her outlook.pst file to the desktop of her PC as a back-up then I opened her outlook calendar and set the view to "Category View". Then, I selected all events before 2007 and deleted them. Closed Outlook, connected the ipod to her PC and iTunes opened itself and began to sync. Outlook opened by itself (iTunes seems to do this as a part of the sync.) The sync took far less time than before and..... THE CALENDAR SYNCED!
I didn't check every calendar event on the ipod after the successful sync. I can't say if the sheer number of calendar events was the culprit or whether the very early year dates confounded the iTunes. Hope this may help someone.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Gordone -

Glad this worked for you - did NOT work for me. I did try it though and will continue to try everything suggested.

Thanks!

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I'm having a similar issue to many that have posted here. iTunes latest (as of July 29), latest Outlook 2003 (with all patches), Windows XP with all patches, syncs contacts beautifully, and music/movies, etc., but calendar is a no-go. Tried everything in this post. The COM add-ins are there, and are checked. Nothing is listed in the disable dialog. It states it's synching but only takes a second and moves on, so I know it's not really reading anything. Both my contacts and my calendar are stored on the Exchange server, yet one works and the other doesn't. I hope someone finds a solution here, as it's annoying. We're also not planning on rolling out Outlook 2007 any time soon.