Outlook.com - delivery of new emails

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Morning \ Afternoon All

Do you use Outlook.com on your iPhone 6/6 Plus?
    If so, are you receiving emails and notifications for it, in a timely manner, i.e. without opening the app?

I have the latest official OS, not jailbroken. When I setup my Outlook.com account on my iPhone 6 Plus, I used the Outlook.com option. Even so, when I receive new emails in my account, despite having notifications on, and PUSH set, I don't receive new emails, unless I open the mail app.

Do you happen to experience the same issue?
    Maybe I should setup the account as Exchange instead?

Thanks in advance
    Ivan

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Initially I'd removed the account and re-added it. With the issue still pending, I removed it and added it as Exchange.

Thus far, all seems well. It is almost euphoric to resolve your own issue...

3. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

Have the same problem. Every time I get an email it doesn't notify me unless I open the app. Pretty useless

Sent from my iPhone

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's fetching. You may have it set in Settings to fetch manually. Go to Settings >Mail,Contacts and Calendars >Fetch New Data > Scroll down to set fetch to your choice. I have my Gmail set for once per hour. But it can be less.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419365398.455923.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

5. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I get instantaneous delivery of my Outlook.com email along with the standard notification tone I have set. I have my email for Outlook set to "Push."

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Should I setup an Outlook account and have my Gmail sent there? I have to also manually check for emails.

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I use the Gmail app. I get notifications and badges.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I get notifications and badges on the stock mail app for Gmail. They're just not immediate. I have mine set for once per hour. I could set it for every 15 minutes, but hourly works for me. I have mine set where the only badges I get are those I have in VIP. That's family, friends and a few important businesses. All that works great for me. Most of my chatting takes place in Messages or Facebook Messenger.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My issue was that I do email often throughout the day to developers helping them out etc, and I just check my email in general, so I didn't like having to manually check. I'm now using the Gmail app as I should have. I already had it installed but it wasn't doing its job as I was using the stock mail app.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

FTFY. :D

Just kidding. :)

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Lol. :p

You have helped me in the past though and I do appreciate that. :)

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And I regret every damned minute of it. :D

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Now I know you don't truly mean that. :p

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I see you came to your senses. I told you about this app and you wouldn't use it. Listen to your elders, we've been around longer than you and know much more than your young mind. :p

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The last part may not be true, and I only used the app as I saw I've already had it installed on my iPhone, I just didn't realize why it never alerted me of email, and that's because I was using the stock mail app for Gmail.

Do you know about marketing, accounting, economics and much more that I've learned?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You do not have to manually check email to get email alerts for Gmail with the stock mail app. You just have to change the setting from manual to fetch and select an interval. No, it does not push, but it will fetch it every fifteen minutes and it will alert you.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I like to respond to mail fast, when they send it. :)

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I knew you would say something about push. I'm not sure if you realize it, but you do this every time I correct misinformation that you post. You said it doesn't alert and you have to check it manually. I am just saying you don't have to keep it on the default manual setting and that you WILL get alerts if you switch it to fetch.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

My bad that I didn't say that it does send the mail to my phone, it just doesn't push, which is upsetting especially when I am waiting for email and I check often to see if I get it. It would be nice if you could set it to lower than 15 minutes.

Nonetheless, I am using Gmail app now. I use Gmail as it does better junk mail filtering than Yahoo did.

#19 MoneyMaker79, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You should probably take more time composing your posts then. I noticed a pattern here a long time ago and I usually don't reply to you because I feel like I am wasting my time since you always do exactly what you did here. I don't want to go back and forth with you. I just want to correct the misinformation. The point is not that you want it to push in the stock app. Of course we all would. The point is that you said you have to check it manually to get alerts - and that is not true.