Outlook crashes due to iTunes sync add-in

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Instead of an old machine that was recently "built up" by the IT department, we tried a newer machine that was just being used for a conference room. Installed iTunes. Ran Outlook. No crash. Outlook showed both plug-ins present. Ran a sync with only the Calendar selected. All of calendar info came across.

I know this isn't much of a "solution" for home users but if corporate folks are having difficulties, try another machine.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
I've tried everything...no luck at all.

Contacts and calendar don't sync, and outlook crashes with every launch!

pmgower

Jul 9, 2007
I tried everything suggested here to no avail. Outlook crashed every time i OPENED it as long as the iTunes sync plug-in was enabled.

Someone else suggested that perhaps the problem was a large PST file. Mine had grown to over 6 GB, so I tried creating a brand-new one and switched Outlook over to use the new PST for default mail delivery. I was then able to immediately sync with iTunes. Clearly iTunes has a problem with large PSTs or perhaps there was some subtle corruption in the PST which Outlook didn't care about but hung iTunes up. I deleted some email and compressed my original PST and was able to get it to work again. My revised PST is at about 4 GB and things seem to be working.
I tried loading outlook after installing iTunes 7.3 on my wife's PC which did not have outlook setup at all. After i setup outlook (without email accounts setup at all...aka empty contacts, calendar, everything) it still crashed Outlook. This is very frustrating!

-Paul

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
Ok...after a week of tinkering and throwing things around the room...I believe I have at least found a way to disable the add ins if you are using Outlook 2003. Despite previous posts direction to hold the ctrl button while clicking the shortcut to Outlook to bring it up in safe mode, it still crashes the program almost immediately. Plus ‘03 doesn’t prompt you to disable the addin after the program crashes.

So I figure why not upgrade to 2007 since more people seem to be having better luck with that. So I did. NO LUCK...Still crashes as soon as you open it. (BTW for reference sake I am using Win XP Pro MCE '05) HOWEVER, the safe mode deal WORKS on 2007. Then you can use previous advice to go to "Tools>Trust Center>add-ins> and click "go" down at the bottom to bring up the check boxes to disable the offending add ins "iTunes outlook addin" and "outlook iTunes sync addin".

This will allow users like me that just needed to get back to being able to use Outlook again without it crashing to get back to pre-Apple screw up. You can then uninstall 2007 and reinstall 2003 and the addins STAY disabled. Long process but it does work.

Now I know what your saying...I can't afford to just blow another 150 bucks to, sort of, fix something that I just paid 600-800 dollars for that really doesn't fix the problem...Well Microsoft fortunately did something nice and made a 60 day free trial available for download...It's big, it requires registration, and it expires in 60 days BUT at least its is free and it's fully functional.

In any case I have scoured the internet for work arounds and tried every single uninstall/reinstall/repair combination or solution I could find and this is all I could come up with that actually worked. At least now I can use outlook and still sync music, programs, video, etc to my iPhone…Just no calendar and contacts yet…

Guess we all have to be patient with Apple YET AGAIN…God I hate waiting for incompetence to work itself out…

Hope this is some help.

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
BTW...I forgot to mention...If you update iTunes after you do this work around (just did it), the new version iTunes rechecks the addins and you have to go through the whole process again.

fourtea

Jul 14, 2007
Another Solution

FYI. I tried every solution I could find for this problem and nothing worked. Our tech guru, Paul, suggested that my outlook pst file might be corrupted or too large. I made a copy if it and deleted all the emails, then compacted the file. No help. I tried running MS's repair tool on the pst file. No help.

I finally exported my contacts into a new pst file. I then exported my calendar into the same new pst file. I again saved my original pst file. I then renamed my new pst file to the original name, opened outlook, enabled the iTunes addins and restarted outlook. Wow, no error!

I was then finally able to sync with my iPhone! I hope this helps someone else.

eederise

Jul 14, 2007
FYI. I tried every solution I could find for this problem and nothing worked. Our tech guru, Paul, suggested that my outlook pst file might be corrupted or too large. I made a copy if it and deleted all the emails, then compacted the file. No help. I tried running MS's repair tool on the pst file. No help.

I finally exported my contacts into a new pst file. I then exported my calendar into the same new pst file. I again saved my original pst file. I then renamed my new pst file to the original name, opened outlook, enabled the iTunes addins and restarted outlook. Wow, no error!

What about your emails?

fourtea

Jul 14, 2007
What about your emails?
If you are referring to the email messages, they do not sync to the iPhone (that I am aware of) so I didn't need to export them. I setup the email account manually on my iPhone. When I was done I simply deleted the temp pst file and renamed my original pst file back to its original name and restarted outlook.

This is somehwat cumbersome, but it was the only way I could get sync'ed. At least I now have all my current contacts and calendar events on the iPhone. I will either have to manually make changes on both in the future, or get my pst file repaired.

There are programs available that will repair pst files, but they are spendy. I may try one and will post the results when I do.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

finagle69

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

that's the same sequence i posted on the previous page, which still does't allow export of existing emails as stated.

The problem with doing this is that this must be repeated any time you wish to sync with your PC, which for me is often, as i'm constantly adding calendar events and contacts.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
I don't believe it's a PST issue or anything of the sort. It seems like poor software programming on Apple or Microsoft's behalf. And I'm sure neither would admit to it being their fault.. :(

The weird thing is it worked the first couple of times, but once it "made outlook unstable" and was disabled, it doesn't work anymore, even after I enable it and synch!

:(

I'd love to see Apple or Microsoft fix this ASAP. I'm sure a LOT of people are running into this.....

Jul 14, 2007
I was one of those people experiencing sync problems with my iPhone and Outlook Calendar.

At first I was unaware Outlook had disabled "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" - also known as the file "OutlookSyncClient.dll". Luckily, I came across this thread. Sure enough, under "Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins" there were two Apple plug-ins: "iTunes Outlook Addin" was checkmarked but "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" was not. No matter what I did, I could not get this plug-in to stay checkmarked.

I went to "Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items" and found "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" had been DISABLED by Outlook. When I re-activated it, Outlook CRASHED, prompting me to disable the plug-in in order for Outlook to operate correctly. Obviously something was very wrong, here.

After reading other's comments and suggestions on this thread, my solution was to save an export of my data to another ".pst" data file. I first copied my original file ("Outlook.pst" located in "C: Documents and Settings/(user)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook") into a new folder I called "BACKUP" just in case something went wrong. Then I made a new folder called "EXPORT".

I then exported my data by way of "File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Personal Folder File (.pst)". Making sure to save it off to my "EXPORT" folder, I named it "Outlook.pst" -- just like the original.

Now the big moment: I SHUT DOWN Outlook and copied the exported file in "EXPORT" to the same folder as the original - replacing the original file. Open Outlook and all my contact and calendar data came up fine. Time to RE-ACTIVATE "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" by way of "Help > About Microsoft Outlook" in the menu and clicking on the "Disabled Items" button. When I did, Outlook didn't crash! Everything seems to load fine now.

Time to Load up iTunes, plug in my iPhone, and the sync my calendar. iTunes Sync works flawlessly! All my Outlook calendar info is now on my iPhone and I'm good-to go. I've tried this several times and the issue seems to be completely resolved. Thanks guys for all of your advice! Hopefully this thread will help others out as well.

- BC

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
I was one of those people experiencing sync problems with my iPhone and Outlook Calendar.

At first I was unaware Outlook had disabled "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" - also known as the file "OutlookSyncClient.dll". Luckily, I came across this thread. Sure enough, under "Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins" there were two Apple plug-ins: "iTunes Outlook Addin" was checkmarked but "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" was not. No matter what I did, I could not get this plug-in to stay checkmarked.

I went to "Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items" and found "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" had been DISABLED by Outlook. When I re-activated it, Outlook CRASHED, prompting me to disable the plug-in in order for Outlook to operate correctly. Obviously something was very wrong, here.

After reading other's comments and suggestions on this thread, my solution was to save an export of my data to another ".pst" data file. I first copied my original file ("Outlook.pst" located in "C: Documents and Settings/(user)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook") into a new folder I called "BACKUP" just in case something went wrong. Then I made a new folder called "EXPORT".

I then exported my data by way of "File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Personal Folder File (.pst)". Making sure to save it off to my "EXPORT" folder, I named it "Outlook.pst" -- just like the original.

Now the big moment: I SHUT DOWN Outlook and copied the exported file in "EXPORT" to the same folder as the original - replacing the original file. Open Outlook and all my contact and calendar data came up fine. Time to RE-ACTIVATE "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" by way of "Help > About Microsoft Outlook" in the menu and clicking on the "Disabled Items" button. When I did, Outlook didn't crash! Everything seems to load fine now.

Time to Load up iTunes, plug in my iPhone, and the sync my calendar. iTunes Sync works flawlessly! All my Outlook calendar info is now on my iPhone and I'm good-to go. I've tried this several times and the issue seems to be completely resolved. Thanks guys for all of your advice! Hopefully this thread will help others out as well.

- BC
Tried it just as you described in both 2003 and 2007 outlook and no luck either way...Plus you lose formating on your contacts and calendar when you do an export...

Just have to keep looking for a way out of this...or maybe just wait for Apple to fix their broken software...

By the way...I did copy my current PST file to another computer running Outlook 2003 with no iTunes...WORKED JUST FINE...no crash...thus the problem does not appear to be with the PST file.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I just upgraded to iTunes 7.3 this morning and so far everything is working PERFECTLY!

It re-enabled my previously-disabled iTunes add-ins, and Calendar synching now works flawlessly!

:) :) :) :)

Jul 16, 2007
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I just upgraded to iTunes 7.3 this morning and so far everything is working PERFECTLY!

It re-enabled my previously-disabled iTunes add-ins, and Calendar synching now works flawlessly!

:) :) :) :)
I have only tried the latest one 7.3.1.3 and it does bomb my Outlook 2007, thus I cannot sync with Outlook. It's pretty frustrating that their software is that buggy and that Apple is this slow to react to the problem.

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
I'm using 7.3.1.3 too.. Odd..

Funny enough, my Outlook just crashed.. BUT, it didn't disable anything nor state "iTunes helper is unstable, do you want to disable" like it did before. And sure enough, it is not disabled. And sure enough, synching STILL WORKS!

:)

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Another day without a single Outlook/iTunes hiccup. I think it's fixed for good.

Note: I didn't do anything like exporting my PST or what not. In fact, I'm certain my PST is all FUBAR anyways, because it's like 4GB in size, and I use it daily. It usually makes Outlook a little slow, but I have no choice - it's for work.

But since I updated iTunes (I did an update via the web by downloading the NEW version, not doing auto-update) I've had no problems since.. :laugh2:

taino

Jul 18, 2007
Fix for Outlook 2007 crashes

I have only tried the latest one 7.3.1.3 and it does bomb my Outlook 2007, thus I cannot sync with Outlook. It's pretty frustrating that their software is that buggy and that Apple is this slow to react to the problem.
Had the same problem. Here's how I got it resolved. As mentioned earlier, the main culprit is the outlooksyncclient dll file. Turns out on the laptop there were 2 problems: the first was that palm hotsync manager was causing a conflict. Since the iPhone is replacing it, I went ahead and removed it. The second problem had to do with the format of the pst file outlook 2007 was using. Outlook was working fine but the iPhone would not sync. I found out that the pst was the problem since I created a blank profile and it worked without a hitch but when I switched back to the "real" pst file, outlook crashed. Don't know for a fact but I believe something may have gone wrong with the pst file when I upgraded from Outlook 2000 to 2007. The fix for the iPhone to sync was to export all contents of Outlook (mail, contacts,etc) to a new pst file, then creating a new profile using the new pst file, uninstalling iTunes and the mobile device application that gets installed with iTunes, re-install iTunes and !bam! it syncs like a champ everytime with no crahses. If you still have trouble you may want to disable any other add ins for outlook under the Trust Center except for the iTunes and outlooksync add ins and see if that clears the problem. suelte!

jimhillcc

Mar 1, 2007
OK!

This has been a pain for me as well.:(

Thanks to all for finding the fix...:cool:

Jul 16, 2007
It's been a nightmare trying to get this to work...

1) iTunes crashes my Outlook 2007 on my WinXPPro workstation (which was rebuilt from scratch last fall and fresh OS install). Every other program i've ever installed has worked fine.
2) Using VMWare on my workstation, I tried installing iTunes onto two different virtual machines, one XP and one Vista. Won't work on either; has problems handshaking the USB 2.0 and iTunes won't recognize the phone
3) Tried installing it on my wife's laptop, and it finally worked, recognized the iPhone and allowed me to activate it. I had to share to my outlook PST, create my own profile, setup outlook to use my outlook PST across the network to my machine, and now finally I can sync.

How it is that this gets through Apple's QC / testing department?

I do admit the sync through iTunes was very nice and had no problems - once I finally found a computer that iTunes didn't crash outlook or not recognize the phone, but come on, they should have done a much better testing plan on various hardware and software configs.

Any why is this taking so long for Apple to fix?

Tmerf

Jul 13, 2007
Well I fianlly got it all to work...Magically if you totally reformat your computer reinstall the newest version of Windows (I still use MCE 2005) and intall the newest version of Office (07 Small Business) do all the updates on both windows and Office (through the web site rather than automatic) then download and install the newest version of iTunes...IT ACTUALLY WORKS...everything is working 100%.

I honestly think that the real reason Outlook was crashing or not syncing properly was something posted on another thread relating to a different issue...To make it work during testing I am sure that Apple used the most up do date versions of both office and Windows...Even if they were older editions (XP vs Vista or 03 vs 07 office) they still did all the online updates for those titles BEFORE installing iTunes to make it work...Thus I suspect that Apple WILL NOT be issuing an update that fixes the problems many of us were having...

Thus after rummaging all these threads I found that absolutely NONE of the other methods used here worked in the slightest bit...My recommendation is make sure you have gone to the MS update site and manually updated each of the Windows and Office componants that you own and THEN AND ONLY THEN install (or reinstall/repair) iTunes.

Good luck to all and thanks to all the other people that have spent COUNTLESS hours trying to get anything to work around the software for our very own new little gem...THE iPhone...