Outlook crashes due to iTunes sync add-in

ericsante

Jul 26, 2007
Outlook 2007

I too had this problem however just enabling the item from the disabled items did not fix it. I also had to go into Tools -> Trust Center, then click on add in's, then Manage COM Add-ins and click go.

Then I had to place a check mark in the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin and then click OK.

Once I did this and hit sync in tunes it all worked.

BTW, I am on Vista, Office 2007, iTunes 7.3.1, 8GB iPhone (unhacked)

Thanks all for the help as Apple had no clue and they said call M$. :eek:

halt00

Jul 27, 2007
I highly recommend using the archive function. Anything over 1GB is not recommended by Microsoft.

I tried everything suggested here to no avail. Outlook crashed every time i OPENED it as long as the iTunes sync plug-in was enabled.

Someone else suggested that perhaps the problem was a large PST file. Mine had grown to over 6 GB, so I tried creating a brand-new one and switched Outlook over to use the new PST for default mail delivery. I was then able to immediately sync with iTunes. Clearly iTunes has a problem with large PSTs or perhaps there was some subtle corruption in the PST which Outlook didn't care about but hung iTunes up. I deleted some email and compressed my original PST and was able to get it to work again. My revised PST is at about 4 GB and things seem to be working.

Jul 31, 2007
Now I know what your saying...I can't afford to just blow another 150 bucks to, sort of, fix something that I just paid 600-800 dollars for that really doesn't fix the problem...
Just as a side note, there are reliable online places that sell outlook 2007 for around $100, shipped. Still expensive, but less than $150.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
New iTunes 7.3.2

Folks, there was a new version of iTunes that just came out today: 7.3.2. It's supposed to fix some bugs. Install it and see if it addresses any of your sync issues with Outlook.

Jul 16, 2007
Folks, there was a new version of iTunes that just came out today: 7.3.2. It's supposed to fix some bugs. Install it and see if it addresses any of your sync issues with Outlook.

Anyone install it yet and see if this has fixed the OL bug?

Jul 22, 2007
Not working for me....

I loaded the new iTunes on to my Vista machine with Outlook 2007 and instead of hanging up on the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin (as it did with the earlier version of iTunes), now it crashes and tells me that "OutlookSyncClient.exe has stopped working."

Interestingly (?) with the new version of iTunes, Outlook iTunes Sync Addin is no longer listed under Disabled Applications Add-ins. In fact, its not listed at all.

Has anyone gotten some satisfaction here?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I loaded the new iTunes on to my Vista machine with Outlook 2007 and instead of hanging up on the Outlook iTunes Sync Addin (as it did with the earlier version of iTunes), now it crashes and tells me that "OutlookSyncClient.exe has stopped working."

Interestingly (?) with the new version of iTunes, Outlook iTunes Sync Addin is no longer listed under Disabled Applications Add-ins. In fact, its not listed at all.

Has anyone gotten some satisfaction here?
same here with Oulook 2003 and XP. Ugh...

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I was one of those people experiencing sync problems with my iPhone and Outlook Calendar.

At first I was unaware Outlook had disabled "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" - also known as the file "OutlookSyncClient.dll". Luckily, I came across this thread. Sure enough, under "Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-Ins" there were two Apple plug-ins: "iTunes Outlook Addin" was checkmarked but "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" was not. No matter what I did, I could not get this plug-in to stay checkmarked.

I went to "Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled Items" and found "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" had been DISABLED by Outlook. When I re-activated it, Outlook CRASHED, prompting me to disable the plug-in in order for Outlook to operate correctly. Obviously something was very wrong, here.

After reading other's comments and suggestions on this thread, my solution was to save an export of my data to another ".pst" data file. I first copied my original file ("Outlook.pst" located in "C: Documents and Settings/(user)/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook") into a new folder I called "BACKUP" just in case something went wrong. Then I made a new folder called "EXPORT".

I then exported my data by way of "File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Personal Folder File (.pst)". Making sure to save it off to my "EXPORT" folder, I named it "Outlook.pst" -- just like the original.

Now the big moment: I SHUT DOWN Outlook and copied the exported file in "EXPORT" to the same folder as the original - replacing the original file. Open Outlook and all my contact and calendar data came up fine. Time to RE-ACTIVATE "Outlook iTunes Sync Addin" by way of "Help > About Microsoft Outlook" in the menu and clicking on the "Disabled Items" button. When I did, Outlook didn't crash! Everything seems to load fine now.

Time to Load up iTunes, plug in my iPhone, and the sync my calendar. iTunes Sync works flawlessly! All my Outlook calendar info is now on my iPhone and I'm good-to go. I've tried this several times and the issue seems to be completely resolved. Thanks guys for all of your advice! Hopefully this thread will help others out as well.
This is unreal; but after days and days of frustration; everything from Outlook crashing, to iTunes crashing, to syncs not working at all, the issue for me was the calendar data on Exchange. I moved it all to a .pst file on my hard drive and it works like a champ. Unreal. Still not an ideal solution, as my data on Outlook really isn't on a server now, but at least it copies and changes both ways take.

ibaneye

Jul 14, 2007
(My) Successful Sync Solution

First off, I want to thank all you guys for the many great tips, most all of which I think I tried, unfortunately to no avail. My issue was the same as many of yours'. Contacts were fine, but Calendar would not sync. I did not experience the crashing of Outlook, nor disabling of add-ins, but the syncing would never actually do anything. My final solution, which I got the idea from the AT&T forum, believe it or not, was to uninstall the "Outlook Live Search Maps Add-In." Disabling it was not enough, it needed to be removed altogether. All other add-ins remain installed and checked. The calendar now syncs perfectly. Events created on either side sync to the other. I highly recommend trying this, if you have that add-in installed. As I said before, I'd previously tried almost every suggestion, even the new pst file and uninstall/re-install type solutions. In the end, for me, it was just this one add-in.

Interestingly, I have not read others complaining about another issue I've had since the beginning, which is that, if an iPhone is connected to my PC (either my laptop, or desktop), and iTunes is running, upon eject, or closing of iTunes, iTunes freezes. I have to kill it with Task Manager. Anyone else experience this? Despite this issue, the sync does work just fine now.

I'll cross-post this, so all can see; sorry if you see this post multiple times, I'm just anxious to spread my success :laugh2:.

Oh yeah: Win XP, Outlook 2007, newest iTunes & iPhone s/w.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
This is unreal; but after days and days of frustration; everything from Outlook crashing, to iTunes crashing, to syncs not working at all, the issue for me was the calendar data on Exchange. I moved it all to a .pst file on my hard drive and it works like a champ. Unreal. Still not an ideal solution, as my data on Outlook really isn't on a server now, but at least it copies and changes both ways take.
Okay, a sad update. It worked once, beautifully! Then it crapped out. It seems to be a problem with where the stuff is stored. If it's in the .pst it works, once. Then if I move it to the Exchange server, the calendar stuff works again, ONCE. SOOOO frustrating! But I'm hanging in there. Hey, I got it to work occasionally, that's better than before.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I keep getting the "OutlookSyncClient.exe has to be stopped" error message every time the iPhone tries to sync the calendar (but not contacts).

Anyone have a solution to this yet?

ipvfletch

Jul 1, 2007
Update: I have the 7.3 iTunes and I posted before and it still works fine. Although Outlook recently did begin a crashing spell. It crashed, rebooted, crashed!, rebooted, crashed again!, and kept doing this until I opened iTunes for a second. Then Outlook was fixed. I looked in Outlook's disabled plugins and iTunes wasn't there like it used to get when Outlook crashed when I had the old iTunes 7.2.

Scary.....

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I keep getting the "OutlookSyncClient.exe has to be stopped" error message every time the iPhone tries to sync the calendar (but not contacts).

Anyone have a solution to this yet?
Nope, join the club.

welcome to the club !

I had exactly the same problems you described. I am frustrated now, and have no idea what to do. Iam still thinking and looking for some solutions, but guess have to wait til Apple wake up and fix this bug , if once want to call it a bug, cannot believe that Apple is so stupid and has no solution for us.

I tried adding iTunes to the ignore list, but I still can't sync. The add-in seems to have been permanently disabled from Outlook. I try to re-enable it, apply the changes, but when I view the add-in settings again, it's disabled. I even tried adding both Outlook and and iTunes to the DEP ignore, but the add-in still cannot be re-enabled and sync still doesn't work. I tried reinstalling iTunes, no change. I'll just stick with my laptop solution. Good luck with yours...

Jul 11, 2007
I have this problem too and it is very frustrating.

Out if curiosity, what version of outlook do you guys have? Mine is 2003. I'm wondering if this is happening to people using version 2007 as well. If not, I would definitely do the upgrade to fix this alone.

Outlook 2007 crashed too

I have Outlook 2007 and it crashed and my Word Program too. To fix that problem that the Word and outlook is working again, you have do reinstall iTunes , afterwards it was working again, thanks God. But not the sync with Outlook . Have to wait until Apple is smart enough to make an update and let us join the wonderful iPhone i love a lot.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Alls I can say is, thank god for Acronis TrueImage. I make a full hard disk image (not just a backup, a super-Spider-Pig backup!) of my C: drive every couple of days, and last night I gave up and went back to a hard drive image from a few days ago, when I had iTunes 7.3.1

With that version, my iPhone synced perfectly. With iTunes 7.3.2, the calendar part of the sync would give me the "Outlook encountered a problem and has to shut down" message. But as some of you must have discovered, finding a copy of iTunes 7.3.1 is impossible - and reinstalling it over 7.3.2 is probably a bad idea anyway, no telling what kind of driver srewups that might cause.

So by restoring my hard drive back to an image that had ver 7.3.1 of iTunes, I'm back in businesss. Whew.

I'm assuming Apple will have to fix this quickly, esp. since this latest update ended up causing damage for a lot of people who were previously having no problem. But it's a bummer that Apple has to spend its time on patch updates, and less time on cool enhancements like cut & paste, To Do list, MMS, etc.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
PS - I made a backup of my Outlook current .pst and config files (you can google where to find all these files on an XP machine), Quicken files, and recent iTunes songs/videos, etc., BEFORE I did my image restore. After the image was restored, I just overwrote the .pst/Quicken/iTunes/other data files with my fresh backup.

KorCar1

Aug 16, 2007
I'm on XP MCE and Outlook 2003, and having the whole outlooksynccliend has encountered an error problem. iTunes won't connect to Outlook in anyway. It doesn't see any accounts, any contacts, nothing. I even went as far as formatting my system and just loading outlook and iTunes, and I got the same error. I also downloaded the trial for Outlook 2007, hoping that would fix the problem, and no luck. I called support and they say its an Outlook problem. (yeah right) So, I'm at a loss. No idea what to do. Hopefully iTunes will come out with an update soon, because it has to be an iTunes problem.

jimhillcc

Mar 1, 2007
Update iTunes

I continued to have all the same issues and found an item stating the update to iTunes fixes the issues. So I updated iTunes and it fixed my issues.
I now sync my outlook 2003 calendar and contacts without any issues.
I don't sync email, I use gmail on the iPhone.

Anywho; this is the version I have running on my WXP PC;
- iTunes 7.3.2.6
- Cd Driver 2.0.6.1
- CD Driver DLL 2.0.6.2
- Apple Mobile Device 1.0.2.12