Outlook Notes Syncing with iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 22, 2008
Hello to the community!

It's good to be here. However, how can I sync outlook notes to my iPhone? Let me tell you, it's been a challenge

alockley

Aug 24, 2008
syncing touch Notes with Outlook

Hello to the community!

It's good to be here. However, how can I sync outlook notes to my iPhone? Let me tell you, it's been a challenge
Actually you can do it and I have done it once-something has to be configured in Outlook. Unfortunately I can't do it again and have lost the instructions to do so

Sep 6, 2008
i want to switch from a palm treo to an iPhone. what's holding me back is that my treo has accumulated many important "memo" files, segregated by various "categories", which I want to sync to the iPhone. once i do this, i want to continue being able to sync these "memo" files back and forth between the iPhone and my p.c.

someone told me you can sync old treo phone contacts and possibly the calendar but that i first need to transfer the stuff from my palm desktop program to outlook. (Palm gives you the option of syncing the treo to palm or outlook) i went ahead and switched to outlook--now all my old treo "memo" files are listed in outlook as "notes". what do i do now to transfer the notes to the iPhone, assuming it can be done.) i've heard you can transfer "contacts" and possibly the "calendar" stuff but not the notes?
i basically want to be able to use the memos/notes on the iPhone in the same way i use them on the treo--with daily syncing.

a related question: if this can be done, does the iPhone retain the notes/memo "categories" (folders) which organize my information into various subject headings (work, family, sports, etc)

PatrickS

Aug 29, 2008
As of 2.0.2 there is no way to transfer notes (Outlook or otherwise) to the iPhone (perhaps there is a solution for jailbroken phones... I wouldn't know). Some people suggest creating fake "Contacts" in Outlook and copying your Outlook memos into the "notes" field of each new fake Contact. Those will be synced to your Contacts app on your phone.

Sep 6, 2008
patrick, thanks for the reply. i'm surprised about the continued flaw in the "notes"--it seems like an obvious area for correction. i'm surprised an outside app person hasn't come up with it--i think it would fill a great need.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
patrick, thanks for the reply. i'm surprised about the continued flaw in the "notes"--it seems like an obvious area for correction. i'm surprised an outside app person hasn't come up with it--i think it would fill a great need.
There is an app in the iTunes App Store called moleskinery and it does what you want it to do. Except that it has no mention of importing data. Maybe you should e-mail the company that you want an import function.

If you can get your notes into the desktop version of Evernote, then it can certainly sync with the iPhone's app of that same name. However, it doesn't appear in the iPhone Evernote app that you can file different folders of notes.

Also, if you could import your notes as Microsoft Office Word files, or text files or PDFs, you can see your notes using a program like Datacase. However, you can't edit your documents - just view them.

Akentut

Oct 13, 2008
Anyway to get my outlook note files to sync or even copy once over to the iPhone? Thanks for the help.
Got a fix... Yahooo. :cool: Original Link is http://ioutnotes.blogspot.com/

Instead of me rewriting it, here is a copy of from the original post.
Before running the script, you have to first download and install the following 2 x FREE packages:
1. SQLite ODBC driver (http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/) and
2. iPhone file browser (http://i-funbox.com/)
onto your Windows machine. The Windows machine is certainly the one running your M$ Outlook because the script talks to Outlook directly instead of reading the PST file.

Then perform the following 6 steps to let the solution works for you.
1. Install SQLite ODBC driver
2. Install ifunbox
3. Download this script (Latest is v0.6) and extract in a temporary directory (e.g. C:\Temp) on your PC
4. Use ifunbox to "Copy To PC" the notes.db file from the folder
"Raw File System"/private/var/mobile/Library/Notes/
of your iPhone into your Windows' folder where iOutNotes.vbs is located
5. Run the script iOutNotes.vbs
If Outlook asks you for access permission, just tick the box to Allow access for 1 Minute and press OK
6. Use ifunbox to "Copy From PC" the new notes.db file to your iPhone which in turn overwrites the original

** IMPORTANT **
The new notes.db file has to be "Copy From PC" and overwrites the old file, because there is no obvious way to change the access permission of a file on a non-jailbroken iPhone.
"Overwrite" means the old notes.db file must be present when you do "Copy From PC" using ifunbox.
As always, BACKUP is one of the critical things to do when making changes.

Please email me at siumk@netscape.net if you need help.

Palm and Treo are registered trademarks of Palm, Inc. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. Outlook is a registered trademark of Microsoft corporation. Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft corporation, Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft corporation.

YES:) it does work. Be sure to reboot your PC when you install the SqLite odbc;)

Attachments

sjaakie

Sep 6, 2009
notes on iPhone

Yes it works ! perfect
the only thing what I also have on my nokia E71 is the the nots are not sorted on name but on date (not easy) is ther a way to sort them on tiltel in the query ? thanks a lot! jacques www.atexshop.com
:)

n8leon

Jan 18, 2010
I got an iPhone for Christmas, :) downloaded the latest iTunes, but I can't seem to get the Notes syncing with Outlook 2007.
They don't flow either way.
iTunes claims to be handling the Notes, and it even warns me that more than 5% of the Notes will be affected.
(I only have 1 on the iPhone, but probably 100 in Outlook)

Should I expect the Notes I create on the iPhone to show up in the Notes view under MSFT Outlook and vice-versa?
If so, any ideas on why it isn't working?
Is there a log file I can inspect?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Nate