Outlook syncing question

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
I'm not sure how Outlook syncs with the iPhone. I have very basic contact info on my new home computer's Outlook, and much more detailed info on my iPhone which I entered manually. (I first connected via iTunes at work, which does not have Outlook at all.) What will happen when I connect my iPhone to my home computer? Does the syncing only work FROM my iPhone TO my computer? Does it work both ways, and if so, how? What should I do so that all my iPhone info is not erased or changed when I connect to my home computer?

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
I'm not sure how Outlook syncs with the iPhone. I have very basic contact info on my new home computer's Outlook, and much more detailed info on my iPhone which I entered manually. (I first connected via iTunes at work, which does not have Outlook at all.) What will happen when I connect my iPhone to my home computer? Does the syncing only work FROM my iPhone TO my computer? Does it work both ways, and if so, how? What should I do so that all my iPhone info is not erased or changed when I connect to my home computer?

Although I have not tried connecting to different computers(home vs. work) when I change something in Outlook on my PC, it will change it in my iPhone and vice versa during the next sync.So all of your manually entered info will sync into Outlook, if you choose to allow it to sync.

I have discovered, that like everything else, the Apple side works very smooth, and the PC side always has issues. Because I did not want ALL my PC contacts in my iPhone, I had to create a new contact list in outlook and dedicated that to iPhone contacts.

Just be sure your contact lists are backed up. With all the problems Ive had with Outlook, I've never lost my contacts.

Hope this helps!

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
I'm still confused about syncing an iPhone with Outlook. I manually entered contact info into my iPhone (names, emails, phones, addresses, etc.). My Outlook on my home computer contains only email addresses. What happens when I sync my iPhone? Will it "fill in" the missing info on my computer, or will it erase what I've got on my iPhone? What if there is a mismatch between info (for example, different email addresses for the same person on Outlook and iPhone)?

Anyone who can explain Outlook syncing in clear English, please go ahead -- THANKS!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm still confused about syncing an iPhone with Outlook. I manually entered contact info into my iPhone (names, emails, phones, addresses, etc.). My Outlook on my home computer contains only email addresses. What happens when I sync my iPhone? Will it "fill in" the missing info on my computer, or will it erase what I've got on my iPhone? What if there is a mismatch between info (for example, different email addresses for the same person on Outlook and iPhone)?

Anyone who can explain Outlook syncing in clear English, please go ahead -- THANKS!
It won't erase anything on your phone. If you have data on the iPhone that you don't have on your computer, it will be added to the computer. IF you have a conflict that effects more than 5% of the data, it will ask if you want to modify it. IF you don't want to change the data, then you can refuse the changes at that time.