Outlooksyncclient.exe error - FIX/SOLUTION - due to iPhone Calendar bugs

dritchie

Jun 1, 2008
I’ve noticed a lot of discussion on a lot of boards from iPhone users relating to outlooksyncclient.exe problems.
Before you try any of the draconian solutions suggested of reinstalling iTunes, MS Outlook, changing time zone settings or wiping your entire iPhone, it might be worth reading on.
I’ve had the problem for a number of weeks now and only just managed to resolve it. Basically the iPhone calendar seems to suffer from two major bugs:
1) First it allows the creation of events that go back in time! I’m not 100% certain how it happens but I think it’s if for example you create a 2 day event starting on a Thursday and ending on Friday, and then move the start day from the Thursday to a Saturday. For some reason the end day stays as the Friday, even though it appears (in 'List' view) on your iPhone as the Sunday. Clearly you can’t have an event that starts on one day but ends the day before!

2) The second problem is that all of the recurring events I had (weekly, monthly & yearly) although appearing fine on my iPhone , on closer inspection after clicking on an event in MS Outlook I realised that they all had a message saying “all instances of this event occur in the past”. Clearly this cannot be the case for recurring events that have no end date!
Anyway, the bottom line is that you just have to go through your calendar in Outlook a day at a time and open EVERY event to make surely it doesn’t fall into one of the above two categories, then delete it. Naturally it’s simple enough to re-create a single event or series if needs be, which should then be fine. The caveat is to check EVERY event – single or series – don’t assume and make sure to check everything….it’s took me two days going back to the date in the calendar that I bought my iPhone to check & re-check until I was sure I hadn’t missed anything.
No idea if it’s a Microsoft or Apple issue but this has worked for me so I thought I’d let folks know as no one else seems to have posted a (sensible) 100% guaranteed solution.
Regards
Dave

cforeman

Apr 17, 2009
the FIX/SOLUTION worked for me :)

This worked great; although a pain to delete and re-enter everything. I found about a dozen birthdays w/ the end "year" as 4500 - so I started there and rechecked the "no end date" -- it fixed the year 4500 entry -- but still had the same error. So I deleted all birthdays and several reocurring events. It sync'd fine. Now to re-enter all of the items I had to delete URGH what a pain.

jimbob5941

Sep 1, 2009
Dave:

I have not been getting any error messages from either iTunes or Outlook but ... thanks for this, ... I think I have this "issue" as well..

Like you, I can't figure out who "started" the fight - Microsoft or Apple.
Have you found any "new news" on this since your initial post?

It would be great if there were some way to access the sync-log in iTunes to see what it is doing when the error occurs, or if iTunes at least posted a message that it was not really sync-ing.

In my case the calendar is not sync-ing, at all, but neither iTunes or Outlook report any issues.

without looking very hard I have found one event that was supposed to repeat every Tuesday "forever" but has stopped repeating, and another event that was "supposed" to repeat every 2nd Sunday of the month, but has somehow turned into a bunch of "single" events.....

Sigh.............

I just got off the phone with AppleCare and after lots of work they suggested I re-install iTunes. The key reason being that I have one other interesting issue ... if I create a new calendar within outlook it does NOT show up in the list of things that iTunes can sync - on the info tab under calendars it just shows the original "calendar" and no addded calendars even after I put an appointment or two in them.........

Jim

jimbob5941

Sep 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply

Thanks Randy, bummer you could not get it working.

I have to use Outlook for work, but I guess(?) I could sync. Outlook to Google Cal. then Google Cal. to iPhone.

I did reinstall iTunes and now NO calendars show up in iTunes as choices to sync. from Outlook to the iPhone. The box that shows the names of the calendars that can sync. is empty.

:dft004:tears

randyw

Jun 28, 2009
Thanks Jimbo but no biggie now. Mine is for work as well. I had a palm for years before I switched so I was use to the calendar. I was lost wihout it on my iPhone. Oh one more positive about the over the air is if someone schedules a meeting while I'm out of office it hits my calendar on the iPhone. I don't have to be tied to iTunes to get the request on my phone.
You mentioned multiple calendars, not sure how that would work with but would be interested to know if you try.

jimbob5941

Sep 1, 2009
Randy:

Yes I'll post back if I get this figured out...
One thing that Outlook (at least 2007 version) can do is suppport multiple calendars - so you can have one for work and a separate one for your private life, both of which sync. (in theory) to the iPhone.

In iTunes you are supposed to be able to select which calendar instances you want sync-ed... right now my only choice is "go fish" ....