Outrageous bill from AT&T

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
answer is yes... my bill came out to around $250+ because I got the 450 anytime mins plan and I went over by over 300+ mins.... with around .45 rate. I was so hurt I called up customer service being very nice to the lady and she lowered it to around $70... to my surprise there are still good people out there working for cingular/AT&T... so be nice to that person and they might just help out....

anybody else?

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
answer is yes... my bill came out to around $250+ because I got the 450 anytime mins plan and I went over by over 300+ mins.... with around .45 rate. I was so hurt I called up customer service being very nice to the lady and she lowered it to around $70... to my surprise there are still good people out there working for cingular/AT&T... so be nice to that person and they might just help out....

anybody else?
So YOU went over your plan by 300 minutes and you were HURT? By whom, exactly (the answer is obvious)? Next time, instead of taking advantage of the generosity of others, how 'bout you step up and take responsibility for your own mistakes?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007

anybody else?
I've done this before; went over my minutes by a huge amount. I couldnt blame anyone but myself; yet at the same time, going over was unavoidable at the time. Funny thing though- I paid it!

I didn't call Sprint and ask them to lower the price based on something I had done.

The only way I could understand you being hurt is if you didn't realize you were going over your minutes; but isn't that your responsibility to keep up with?

I guess I am lost that you think your bill was outrageous. :eek:

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Like the others I am confused why you going over your minutes was AT&T's fault. Your suppose to know how many minutes you have on your plan and how many minutes you have used. If you don't know you can always go online or use your phone to find out how many minutes you have used and how many minutes are remaining. Its your responsibility to figure it all out not AT&T's to lower your bill because you went over the minutes.

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
This is exactly why the rest of us have to pay the high monthly rates, to subsidize people like you who cheat the system because you lack the skills to research overage rates and your actual usage. Your a thief!

anybody else?

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
as stated by everyone else who replied... it is no ones fault but your own... i hope you at least figured out that you should up your plan for another $10-$20 per month to avoid this from happening again.... i personally have called and bitched out nextel a number of times... but not for overages on minuites more for the fact that i was paying $110 per month and getting whacked with 35$ in texts when it was included for and unlimited amount in my plan and they kept screwing it up because they were coming up as MMS insted of SMS on the system even though it was only text... If you rack up a bill pay it... if you do research to find a lower plan rate such as sprint's SERO plans then by all means do it... but don't call in and say ohh im sorry i talked to much can you just not charge me for that? if you don't pay your car loan and they repo it can you call and nicely ask for it back because you didn't want to pay the loan? i don't think so

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I tell everyone this:

Cingular is the best customer service I have ever experienced in my life, over and over again..

Everytime I call them they are really helpful, even dropping my bill several times

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Jeez, you people are seriously trigger happy! The op wasn't co
plaining or blaming; simply went over the minutes and asked for help. You're all acting like the op stole something or was somehow unethical. He called a businesss and politely requested some negotiation. Please explain what's wrong with that. How is it any different from calling up your cable or satellite provider to cancel or request better service and ending up with a free tivo or upgraded service package? How is it any different than going to a new cad dealership and offering something less than the sticker price? You don't seriously offer the full retail price for a car, do you? Negotiation. Go pick on someone trying to activate a "found" iPhone. This person did nothing wrong.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Jeez, you people are seriously trigger happy! The op wasn't co
plaining or blaming; simply went over the minutes and asked for help. You're all acting like the op stole something or was somehow unethical. He called a businesss and politely requested some negotiation. Please explain what's wrong with that. How is it any different from calling up your cable or satellite provider to cancel or request better service and ending up with a free tivo or upgraded service package? How is it any different than going to a new cad dealership and offering something less than the sticker price? You don't seriously offer the full retail price for a car, do you? Negotiation. Go pick on someone trying to activate a "found" iPhone. This person did nothing wrong.
There's a difference between negotiating a better price for your car on the front end and getting it home and realizing you can't make the payment, then expecting the lein holder to cut you a deal. That's what the OP did, he screwed up by going WAY over his minutes, received an "outrageous" bill from AT&T that "hurt" him, but that's ok because the "good" people at AT&T bailed him out (inferring that they would be "bad" people if they didn't).

Good thing for him that AT&T covered his ass, but don't make it out like he's some sort of shrewd businesssman. :rolleyes:

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
"good", "bad", "shrewd businesssman" - you're funny. Actually, you're not, really. You apparently like to read extremes in fairly inert conditions, so I'm not going I attempt to convince you that there are differing perspectives and that one may be right and one wrong.

I believe there is nothing wrong with asking a provider to reduce a bill. How you may react if they decline - now that would present a more concrete basis for criticizing ones actions.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
"good", "bad", "shrewd businesssman" - you're funny. Actually, you're not, really. You apparently like to read extremes in fairly inert conditions, so I'm not going I attempt to convince you that there are differing perspectives and that one may be right and one wrong.

I believe there is nothing wrong with asking a provider to reduce a bill. How you may react if they decline - now that would present a more concrete basis for criticizing ones actions.
So you don't see any issue with failing to handle your finances properly and having to resort to asking the service provider for assistance? Wow.

The OP's attitude about this subject is clear; I'm not reading extremes into anything. You, on the other hand, seem to be whittling all the relevant information out of the post until it's nothing more than good businesss practices.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
beej, minivan can whittle all he wants; it doesn't negate the fact that the OP bought this on himself then needed his provider to bail his butt out. Not all of us are so dense that we cant figure out here what really happened.

This wasn't about good businesss practices, and I laugh everytime I read a post as such.
My heart doesn't go out to people who find a way to beat the system, then come on here to brag/post about it like what they did should be received by all with open arms.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
So you don't see any issue with failing to handle your finances properly and having to resort to asking the service provider for assistance? Wow.

The OP's attitude about this subject is clear; I'm not reading extremes into anything. You, on the other hand, seem to be whittling all the relevant information out of the post until it's nothing more than good businesss practices.
You couldn't have paraphrased me more inaccurately. That's ok though, it's a difficult skill to master.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
No wonder why customer support is so horrible now days. You all should learn to expect more from your service providers.

Of course it's his fault, and I'm sure the lady knew that, but she understood the frustration and used personal customer service to preserve the customers happiness. I can't believe once we finally hear about a positive customer service experience people start bitching at the customer....

You people are the reason customer support sucks. Expect more! you pay a lot of money for that phone.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
No wonder why customer support is so horrible now days. You all should learn to expect more from your service providers.

Of course it's his fault, and I'm sure the lady knew that, but she understood the frustration and used personal customer service to preserve the customers happiness. I can't believe once we finally hear about a positive customer service experience people start bitching at the customer....

You people are the reason customer support sucks. Expect more! you pay a lot of money for that phone.
The reason, in part, that customer service is so bad these days is that employees have to spend all day dealing with entitled customers with no communications skills making unreasonable demands. It has nothing to do with me taking responsibility for my bill when I screw up.

I expect a lot when I actually have a problem with my service or my equipment. I expect them rectify the problem quickly. I expect them to be professional and courteous. But I'm not so entitled as to think AT&T owes me something when I go over my minutes, because I know how many minutes I have, I know I can check them at any time online (on the freakin' phone, for chissakes), and I know how expensive the minutes are once I go over my limit. I understand I am responsible for my own actions. My problem isn't with the way AT&T handled the situation (they went way beyond in this situation), but the attitudes some people have regarding personal responsibility.