Outside and Exercising, Am I being paranoid?

May 22, 2009
Hi all,
I'm new here and have a couple of possibly strange questions:
I am an avid cyclist. I also hike, walk my dogs, walk, run, and work outside a lot. But I'm in the sun and heat for the longest extended period of time when I'm riding. I don't use the Ipod function when I'm riding, I have a cheaper MP3 player for that. But I ride long distances by myself so I need to have my phone in case of an emergency. I'm getting ready to start my 40 to 50 mile rides which means I'll be out in the heat and sun for 4-6 hours at a time. How worried do I need to be about heat hurting my iPhone? When I ride, I carry it in a padded camera case on my belt or I put it in my bag depending on what I'm wearing. I've got the phone itself in one of those otterbox defender cases. Is the heat going to damage the phone? Does anyone know? I know people use those armbands for their phones/ipods when they exercise, but I'm even leary about those. I'm afraid of getting sweat all over my phone which also might damage it. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.
Gray

originalg00kster

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
gray I think you should be fine. As long as it's not out in direct sunlight but you have it protected so you should be fine. Probably just paranoid haha it's okay though.

May 22, 2009
gray I think you should be fine. As long as it's not out in direct sunlight but you have it protected so you should be fine. Probably just paranoid haha it's okay though.
Probably, but seriously, this is the coolest, most expensive thing I've ever owned. My bike was only slightly more expensive than this phone. So I just wanna make sure. :) Thanks for commenting.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
GraysonKelly - have you seen this Apple support document on the acceptable operating temperatures for the iPhone? This might be of some help to you. Based on this article, your iPhone should be fine as long as it's not in direct sunlight for several hours.

I understand what you mean about being paranoid about your iPhone. I also carry mine when I run and walk the dog just to have my phone with me and not to listen to music. I use a Griffin armband for running, but I'm not out in the sun for hours so I don't worry about it. When I do listen to music while I'm mowing the lawn for a couple of hours, I do put in a slightly dorky waist pouch (one made specifically for exercising) to keep it out of the sun.

Be safe on the road!

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I agree also, keep it out of direct sunlight.. I hear you! I am paranoid to do anything that might damage the iPhone but then again if I worried about it all the time, I would never get any good use out of it..

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, it's not likely, but the iPhone seems pretty sensitive to moisture "damage." If you ever have to take your iPhone to an Apple Genius to possibly have it replaced, he/she will check the moisture sensors for a pink color which indicates moisture damage.

May 22, 2009
Well, it's not likely, but the iPhone seems pretty sensitive to moisture "damage." If you ever have to take your iPhone to an Apple Genius to possibly have it replaced, he/she will check the moisture sensors for a pink color which indicates moisture damage.
Oh! Ok, well that actually brings up another question: if the phone isn't actually in contact with me when I'm sweating, but it is really humid outside will that damage it? I know this is a stupid question, but well I just wanna make sure i protect it. I wouldn't put in something plastic because of the humidity factor, but in a protective water proof material bag it should be alright?
Thanks again,
Gray

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
GraysonKelly, given that you use the Defender case I would say you don't have a lot to worry about. The case has covers to prevent moisture from getting into ports as easily as other cases. If I were you I would lose the other iPod, and just use the iPhone. When I am doing anything while wearing the headset, it is so convienient to be able to pinch the headset button and answer calls or skip songs. I understand your concern with the device being fragile if you just bought it, I had the same concerns when I bought my iPhone on iDay v1. The Otterbox case may not be the most attractive case but I don't think any other case can beat its protection. So just don't be "careless" with it and you should be just fine. Enjoy your biking!

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
GraysonKelly... right now all I have is a BestSkinsEver on my iPhone (it's basically a clear skin that covers the iPhone. I cycle about 4-5 days a week rides anywhere from 30-80miles. I put my headphones on then run it down my jersey and throw my iPhone in the back jersey pocket. If it looks like rain I throw it in a ziploc (usually I don't ride if it's raining). If you ride an listen, keep your volume low for safety reasons of course. Never have a problem with sweat or heat and yes it's nice to have that phone handy.

I also hike a few times a year. I keep it in a drybag in my pack. I don't listen while I'm on the hike. Normally I just hang it from a string in my hammock to watch movies to help me fall asleep.