Over Heating?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 3, 2007
has any one noticed the iPhone getting hot to the touch while watching videos or downloading stuff? today i got really concerned because while watching a movie it got hot enough u couldnt hold it. im not kinding, i put it on the back of my little brothers neck and he jump out of his skin. any suggestions?

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
has any one noticed the iPhone getting hot to the touch while watching videos or downloading stuff? today i got really concerned because while watching a movie it got hot enough u couldnt hold it. im not kinding, i put it on the back of my little brothers neck and he jump out of his skin. any suggestions?
Over the years, I've noticed that many phones (and iPods) do this. My RAZR and my BlackJack do this. My PSP does this too. The BlackJack does it when surfing the web over EDGE. However, I've never seen my iPhone get so hot that I couldn't hold it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Make sure all the holes (speaker, mic, etc) are uncovered. If they are, they could be preventing hot air from escaping.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Such gross overheating is usually reported when the phone is charging and/or stuck in a cpu loop checking for email (and there's no good EDGE connection).

(Assuming, as the other poster said, that it's not a case causing it.)

Otherwise, judging from other people's experiences, Apple usually replaces such units as being faulty.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

Either you are greatly exaggerating the heat or you have a problem with your handset. If you honestly cannot hold iPhone in your hand then there is a problem. It should get hot with use but nothing that would ever be uncomfortable. FWIW, Apple laptops have always and still get very hot when watching videos, charging, etc...

Sep 3, 2007
Either you are greatly exaggerating the heat or you have a problem with your handset. If you honestly cannot hold iPhone in your hand then there is a problem. It should get hot with use but nothing that would ever be uncomfortable. FWIW, Apple laptops have always and still get very hot when watching videos, charging, etc...

ok, let me rephrase not being able to hold the phone because its hot, its not scalding hot like it will remove my finger prints. its hot enough for you to not want to hold it any more...

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
ok, let me rephrase not being able to hold the phone because its hot, its not scalding hot like it will remove my finger prints. its hot enough for you to not want to hold it any more...
Ignore those who haven't heard of this.

As I said, it has been reported many times on other forums. Apple should replace it.