Overcharging the battery?

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I have charged my iPhone at night until I saw the plug icon and glowing battery (meaning it is 100% charged) but somehow the next day, I will lose half my battery life even though I did not used it at all because I was sleeping!

Is it due to overcharging? Thing is if I only charged it for about 2 hours, it'll still have full battery the next morning but I will never get the glowing battery.

dasdaplaya

Jul 1, 2007
I have charged my iPhone at night until I saw the plug icon and glowing battery (meaning it is 100% charged) but somehow the next day, I will lose half my battery life even though I did not used it at all because I was sleeping!

Is it due to overcharging? Thing is if I only charged it for about 2 hours, it'll still have full battery the next morning but I will never get the glowing battery.
I have the same problem i'm starting to thiink the same thing

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
You can't overcharge these batteries, only keep them "topped off."
Actually I think it happened again last night, I charged it for about 2 hours and 50 minutes and the battery lost like 20% two hours after I charged it. I wasn't using the iPhone at all, it was just in sleep mode with everything off.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Actually I think it happened again last night, I charged it for about 2 hours and 50 minutes and the battery lost like 20% two hours after I charged it. I wasn't using the iPhone at all, it was just in sleep mode with everything off.

when you say "with everything off" are you sure your wifi is deactivated, your bluetooth is deactivated, and your email retrieval is set to "manual"?

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
when you say "with everything off" are you sure your wifi is deactivated, your bluetooth is deactivated, and your email retrieval is set to "manual"?
Yes, I hardly ever use WiFi so it's always off and I hardly used bluetooth too so that's always off. I do have my email but I know thats not the problem because I have had the same settings before and the battery never drained as fast as when I overcharge the iPhone more than 2 hours...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sorry to beat a dead horse here, but i just want to be clear on one thing: just because you are not using your wifi or bluetooth does not mean they are deactivated. You actually have to turn them off in the settings.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Place the phone where you had it all night. Just leave it there for 30 seconds, I'm going to get into why. Note how many signal strength bars are there after the 30seconds and post it here.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
sorry to beat a dead horse here, but i just want to be clear on one thing: just because you are not using your wifi or bluetooth does not mean they are deactivated. You actually have to turn them off in the settings.
They're off because I have double checked many times. And if they were on, I will see it on top with the wifi and bluetooth icons.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Place the phone where you had it all night. Just leave it there for 30 seconds, I'm going to get into why. Note how many signal strength bars are there after the 30seconds and post it here.
I have 5 bars on AT&T. Again, I am sure it's not the signal either because if I charged the iPhone for 2 hours and 15 mins and leave it to sleep at night while I slept, the next day i will still have 95% of my battery life. It's only when I charge for more than 2 hrs and 15 mins, that's when the battery drain mysteriously...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They're off because I have double checked many times. And if they were on, I will see it on top with the wifi and bluetooth icons.

ok, just wanted to make sure. Not trying to insult your intelligence or anything... just have to rule out the easy fixes first.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Do you have ant 3rd party apps on your phone? I think they sap more battery life.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Nope. Everything is the same as when I first opened it. I'll test again by charging it for 2 hours and 15 mins only once it has 20% of battery life left.
I've heard, back in July, that ppl were having battery problems, and someone said to discharge the battery all the way, then charge it all the way, and their battery life cycle was as it should be.