Overheating iPhone 3GS: Apple blames the Weather

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
oh come on now Apple, stop being like microsoft. while im sure there are enough idiots in the world to leave things in there cars, i don't think it can be entirely weather. they should just admit that since its such a small device and packs a lot of juice, its possible for over heating, and if this is such a big issue, they should have delayed using newer batteries or even just used the old battery's in the original 3g phone.

stevensondrive

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
not had the problem. with lots of downloading and playing some games it did get warm. but not hot. no warmer than my laptop gets that is for sure. but if it is getting warm enough to discolor than there may be an issue. hopefully all is well. cause I really like this thing. ;)

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
it is launch systems after all so i mean i am not at all surprised if a few here and there go bad. i will wait a goo while before i go to Apple and see if my disorted sound, slight rattle and crappy battery makes it faulty. the rattle is really nothing, the battery im expecting it to be just ok like my old 3g, it got better after 2 weeks and the disorted sound, well im ok with it sine its only for a new text messege

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Yeah, every time I see that pic posted here, it occurred after someone left it in their car. It's a small compact computer, you can't expect to leave it in your car, where temps can quickly soar into the 130's with the windows up, and expect it to function as normal. I mean come on, sadly, these temps kills animals and even children left in cars all the time, it's nothing to blow off or down play.

Darkhova

Bronze
Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey,USA
Also there no fans in here keeping it cool so you have to give Apple some lee-way here...

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
This used to happen to my V1. I would have it in my pocket (usually outside) and if I made a phone call lasting longer than 5 mins, the phone would get very hot....it could actually burn my hand.

Soon after that, it would respond very slow, lags in excess of 2-3 mins. I called AT&T when this happened for the 3rd time. I just returned it and got a new one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sure, the weather can cause overheating - but my iPhone gets pretty hot while playing Rolando in my living room, which is air conditioned. There's something other than weather going on with the 3GS's, and I'm thinking it's faulty batteries.

NHenry5

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
my room is like alaska when i am sleeping, which just happens to be the same time that my phone is charging. and every morning when i wake up it is burning hot.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I've definitely noticed mine becoming very warm, and I've never left it in the car. Not only that, but I have to use an extension cord to plug the charger in so it can reach behind my nightstand. Yesterday I leaned against the piece that was plugged into the extension cord, and it was hot enough to burn my leg. Wasn't sure if this was due to the extension cord, or if it was the iPhone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I could be totally wrong Buffy, but my gut feeling is that an extension cord is not a good idea. Lets see what others have to say.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
I've definitely noticed mine becoming very warm, and I've never left it in the car. Not only that, but I have to use an extension cord to plug the charger in so it can reach behind my nightstand. Yesterday I leaned against the piece that was plugged into the extension cord, and it was hot enough to burn my leg. Wasn't sure if this was due to the extension cord, or if it was the iPhone.
belkin and griffin both make 6ft iPhone/ipod cords

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
I could be totally wrong Buffy, but my gut feeling is that an extension cord is not a good idea. Lets see what others have to say.
It depends on what else you have plugged into the extension cord. I am an electrician for 7 years now. The iPhone adapter only uses 0.15A on a standard 110-120 household outlet. Most cheap extension cords are 18-16 gague with 10 and 13 Ampacities (respectively). With the charging adapter using such little amperage, this is not a problem as long as you don't plug a bunch of other things into the cord. As for an extension cord that heats up a lot, does your iPhone get hot too while charging? Maybe you have a faulty charge adapter.