Overheating iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dipsxxy, May 16, 2011.

1. Dipsxxy

Dipsxxy Contributor
    Bronze

Doe anyone have any problems with their phone getting hot? I notice my phone gets hot every time I charge it.

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Are you using it while it's charging such as playing games or using safari? that does it to me.

3. katelynneemma

katelynneemma Evangelist
    Gold

I was having the same problem sporadically. Realized it was my griffin charger (both wall and car) only use the USB now and it's stopped

4. Dipsxxy

Dipsxxy Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, I have it plugged in while I'm talking on the phone. I use to do that all the time and that never happened.

5. Dipsxxy

Dipsxxy Contributor
    Bronze

I'm wondering if it's my charger. The charger even gets hot. I have my phone since last October and this just started happening recently

6. katelynneemma

katelynneemma Evangelist
    Gold

I would deffinatly try a new charger. I do believe that If you take it to an Apple store (assuming it's an Apple USB cord) and tell them the problem they will replace it.

7. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

I have only used a Griffin charger since 2008 and I have never had the iPhone get hot on me. I often charge it overnight with it being very cool to the touch in the morning. I personally think Griffin makes one of the best aftermarket charging cables and USB car chargers around.

8. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Have you ever received the temperature warning while charging the iPhone as shown in the screenshot below? If so, you need to take your iPhone to an Apple Genius ASAP.

[​IMG]

9. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

I run nav, charge, and talk on the phone at same time in the car and it get's real warm... I brought it to Apple genius bar a while back and they claimed its normal for the iPhone to run hot under those circumstances and nothing to worry about, never had any physical problems with the phone (nor has it caught fire) so I guess he wasn't totally wrong.

10. mayflower

mayflower New Member

maybe most phones have this phenomenon. if it is just a little hot, it is common. To avoid this problem:

Do not use your phone while charging, and you'd better keep your phone power on while charging.

11. Kylezert

Kylezert New Member

To dipsxxy and Bennyboy I know about electricity and I can tell you from experience that you iPhone/wall chargers are not made designed to used while charging that is why they will over heat. Now the car charger is a whole different story since the power is coming from a battery known as "DC" or direct current your charger does not have to convert it and the charger won't heat up. The reason why your wall chargers heat up is in a house it is running on "AC" or alternating current so it has to convert the AC power to DC causing heat. To sum up you can use the phone while charging in the car but it is not recommended that use use it for very long if you can prevent it when charging in the house.

12. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

The only weird thing that happens to my 4S is I'll use it lightly, but it down and come back a few minutes later and it's hot. Almost as if it's something in the background but it's not.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

thanks for the info.

14. Kylezert

Kylezert New Member

To Eninety2, when you set your phone down and it gets hot does it seem like the battery is draining more than it should?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not recommended by whom? I don't believe Apple has stated this. Do you have any documentation to back this up? I do it every day and it hasn't damaged any of my iPhones.

16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You would think of that were the case it would be in the Important Product Information Guide or even in the charging the battery section of the iPhone user guide... Found nada in either of them, which we ready knew huh? :D

17. Kylezert

Kylezert New Member

No I was just saying that in my experience that my phones batteries that they seem to go bad faster than if you don't use it while it's charging. There are no immediate harmful effects but it will affect it over time.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think that's a hasty generalization and there are too many variables to prove that it is true.

19. Kylezert

Kylezert New Member

I use temperature gauges and you can't tell me that over time if your phone heats up to 98 degrees and the charger heats up to 120 degrees that there is not going to be any damage you would have to be ignorant if you think that is good to subject your phone to that!

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've owned every generation of iPhone and never had any form of battery deterioration when using it while charging.