OWA - She No Work

MarkB

Oct 9, 2007
Before I posted, I ran a search against "OWA" and "Outlook Web Access" here and found at least two threads that said, in effect, "OWA works just great."

I cannot, however, seem to get it to work for me, and I was wondering what other folks' experience was. For the technical record, I am inside my network [so no firewall/port issues-we'll burn that bridge later], and I am connected to a WEP-protected WAP with no issue, so I'm "on the network."

When I go to mail.[mycompany].com, it immediately adjusts the URL to http://mail.[mycompany].com/exchange/, so I know it's hitting the mail server OK and getting DNS resolution. But then I get nothing - the progress bar moves about half an inch, then just hangs, and the browser never progresses any farther. There is one other lonely soul here with an iPhone who gets the exact same problem.

I am *not* a Mac person (I run a 300-ish node, 10-site Net-Ops dept all based in the Evil Microsoft), so I don't have a clue where to begin here - any help at all, even just more people saying "it works just fine for me" would be much appreciated.

Sooner or later I'm going to need to make these things work at an enterprise level, so I'm Guinnea-Pigging myself...

Thanks - M.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Mine also fails. I get same symptoms as you, only after being prompted for login credentials and to accept the certificate. Then it just goes nowhere. Have cleared cache and restarted the iPhone - no difference. I will try to look at IIS logs later (going out right now) to see if they offer a clue ...

MarkB

Oct 9, 2007
Certificate?

My iPhone never asked me about accepting a certificate. Great.

I started this out with "everything" open on Safari - Javascript on, Plug-ins on, accepting pop-ups, and always accepting Cookies. I went back after another failure and cleared everything out - History, Cookies and Cache, and it still didn't load. I turned on the debug console and got no errors.

I've looked at the logs on the Exchange Server (I'm running 2003) after trying this, and trying to set up the Exchange ("Other") mail client (which actually worked flawlessly for two hours, both from within the LAN and from without, over the VPN client the iPhone has, before crapping out forever, with no settings changes on my part, I might add - it just... died), and never seen anything, but I've never looked at IIS logs. Let me know what you find there, if anything.

Meantime I'll keep trolling - good luck.

M.

MarkB

Oct 9, 2007
Oops - forgot to add...

...somewhere along the I stopped getting the DNS resolution or it appending the "/exchange" to the end of the URL for some reason, both on and off the network.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yeah - I definitely get prompted to accept the certificate, then login, then it sits forever and a day and eventually gets the 'Safari can't open the page because it could not connect to the server' error. On the server side I can see the iPhone's session on 443 under netstat. Can't see anything worthwhile in logs so far, but I think I'm not recmembering the right log to look in yet ...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you are on your company's network, you may not be able to access mobile outlook. My current and last job are like that. When you are home and one your own network, try again.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If you are on your company's network, you may not be able to access mobile outlook. My current and last job are like that. When you are home and one your own network, try again.
I've tried from home wireless network. Get to OWA fine on a laptop - in Firefox or Safari - but no go from the iPhone. I'm a little curious about how iPhone handles the SSL certificate - can't find any good info on where / how it stores these ...

Just out of curiosity, have you tried hitting the OWA on Edge?

I've never tried it on WIFI, but I can get to our corporate OWA with the iPhone, on Edge, with no problem.

The only thing I notice different, from your posts, is that ours is an https:// address. Maybe that's it?

If you want, try going to our OWA and see if it pulls up the page. Maybe that will help narrow down if it's an iPhone problem, or an OWA problem. Here's the link.

bogorman

Oct 19, 2007
Before I posted, I ran a search against "OWA" and "Outlook Web Access" here and found at least two threads that said, in effect, "OWA works just great."

I cannot, however, seem to get it to work for me, and I was wondering what other folks' experience was. For the technical record, I am inside my network [so no firewall/port issues-we'll burn that bridge later], and I am connected to a WEP-protected WAP with no issue, so I'm "on the network."

When I go to mail.[mycompany].com, it immediately adjusts the URL to http://mail.[mycompany].com/exchange/, so I know it's hitting the mail server OK and getting DNS resolution. But then I get nothing - the progress bar moves about half an inch, then just hangs, and the browser never progresses any farther. There is one other lonely soul here with an iPhone who gets the exact same problem.

I am *not* a Mac person (I run a 300-ish node, 10-site Net-Ops dept all based in the Evil Microsoft), so I don't have a clue where to begin here - any help at all, even just more people saying "it works just fine for me" would be much appreciated.

Sooner or later I'm going to need to make these things work at an enterprise level, so I'm Guinnea-Pigging myself...

Thanks - M.

Please try out this new applicaion i am after writing to get your OWA mail directly into your Mailbox. http://www.streampodder.com/iBerry
Its very new and i am looking for testers! Let me know if it works.