Pages for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by Iloveiphones, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Hello. As I see I'm starting to get more and more writing projects in school, I need some apps that is like Microsoft word. Pages....I see. Notes doesn't cut it. Is pages worth the $10? It's a HUGE purchase for me, as the highest priced thing I've bought is music at $1.29. Can you change the font size? Does anyone have any other apps they found that are very similar like Microsoft word? I at least need to change font, font size, spacing, indent and add a header and footer. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I don't have Pages but I have numbers and keynote and use numbers quite a bit. In numbers you can change the font and spacing and all that just like the Mac version. It's a little clunkier to get to the font area but you get the hang of it.

I have used several office packages and I have to say these are worth the 10 bucks if you use them a lot. Another advantage is the cloud sync for them. Make changes on the Mac, it's on the iPad...make changes on the iPad, they are on the Mac.

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

But not Windows to iPad or iPad to windows, right?

4. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

That I don't know. I don't sync anything to either windows machines I have. Just to the MacPro and the MacBookPro.

5. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

You can adjust font sizes in Pages. You can also import and export in Word doc format.

I would suggest you look at the Office2 (if this is for iPhone) or Office2 HD (if it's for iPad) app - they are $5.99 and $7.99 respectively and offer a very strong set of features. You can work with your Word documents and Excel and Powerpoint as well. The app lets you access documents from Dropbox and Google Docs - both great places to store your docs online for free.

Here's a link to the Office2 app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id350399839?mt=8

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPad Apps and Games section.

+1 for Office2. Awesome app. Trust Patrick when it comes to iPad apps, he knows what he's talking about :)

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Sorry, I didn't know where to put it and I thought this sections was for developers only.

Wow, thanks! Our school uses google docs all the time, so this would be great!

8. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

So, Patrick (or anyone that has office2 HD), does this app work flawlessly? I'm not paying for an app that has bugs. Creating a document and having all the features of microsoft word are needed badly. And full google docs access is needed because my school uses them all the time.

9. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'd say it does work flawlessly in my experience. I've used it often for working with docs from Google Docs and from Dropbox. It has never crashed and does its job well.

10. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

PAGES. I can't figure out how to upload documents. Basically I'm trying to edit my résumé and school docs but I can't get it on my iPad. I can't use iCloud.

11. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

What file format is it in? There are numerous ways to get a doc onto your iPad and a number of good apps to use for editing, depending on which document type you're working with.

12. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

So far I'm disappointed with Pages and the $10 I spent on it. But I also don't like the Mac version either. I guess I'm just more familiar with Word. I figure out how to open the document by getting it from my email but I wish I could use dropbox. It's just seems limited by the upload options the app provides. Maybe I'll have to try Office 2

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You can transfer it with DropBox. Once you open the document in DropBox there is an arrow in a box at the top of the screen. If you press that it will give you the option to open in any other program on the iPad, including Pages.