Pages or Quickoffice Pro HD?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by iphonewarrior, Jun 7, 2012.

1. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'm torn between the two, which one to buy? Or do I buy both?

I need to be able to view all types of Microsoft Office formats, both new and old. I also need to be able to edit as well.

Any ideas?

2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

If you need to view and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files then if you stick with Apple's apps you need Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Or you go with Quick Office or Documents to Go or Office2 HD. You'll pay less for Office2 HD and I think it' quite a nice app (which has Dropbox and Google Drive access).

The Apple suite is great to work with, especially Keynote but you're going to pay $30 for the 3 apps and still have some compatibility issues with things like formatting.

Hmmm, I really haven't helped at all here. Sorry John. Maybe if you talk a bit more about what you need to do I might be able to add something more helpful. :)

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thanks Patrick, you have helped :)

When I visit various sites I have to carry out reports from time to time. These reports are in both Word .docx and Excel .xlsx formats. For ease I would like to open up the template(s) on my iPad and add camera taken photographs and add text into the template(s). Dropbox support would be nice, but it isn't essential. At the moment I only need the .docx support. I need to be able to view and edit these documents.

It would be easier to do everything from one device, rather than taking pictures and notes on my iPad. Then flashing the laptop, transferring the pictures from the iPad onto the laptop and then re-writing any notes or comments that I've made into the template to be emailed back to the office.

I know there are rumours of Microsoft making an iPad app for Office, but it's not here now, so why wait for something that might not actually come.

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

OK, so Office2 HD supports the file formats you need for creating , editing, and saving those doc types. I just tested on my iPad and adding a photo in from Camera Roll or anywhere else in the photo library is easy.

I'm not too sure about the working with template files part, but I imagine even if it doesn't fully support that you could find easy workarounds. At $7.99 might be worth a go - though Quick Office is probably even more capable and feature-rich. I'm not an Office apps user anymore so I'm just going by impression on that last part.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I went for Quickoffice Pro HD. Initial thoughts, it doesn't play nice with a jail broken iPad 3 :(

it's crashed 3 times already. Not a good start, £13.99 as well. I've just hard-reset my iPad so hopefully that'll clear any issues.

The app itself is great, it has a gorgeous GUI. I'll test this app in the field tomorrow.

6. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

Aww... I was gonna suggest that you look at Polaris office. It's quite good, even on an iPhone.

One main issue I have with it is how it wraps the text when it reaches the margin. :(
    d4b78050-483e-8ac2.jpg