Paid full price, will AT&T unlock?

passta

Aug 16, 2007
I have/had an iPhone 3G that I got with an upgrade to my exisiting iPhone plan with ATT back in July for the $399 subsidized price. A few weeks back I dropped it and shattered the glass, and I bought a brand new one from the Apple Store, for $499 since I was not entitled to an upgrade for another 22 months or whatever. So since I paid full price should I be able to call ATT or Apple and get it unlocked through them to use on other carriers if I wanted? If so, does anyone know the process of doing that?

Thanks!

Andy

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Paying full price does not unlock your iPhone or warrant you getting that service. There have been reports of EIC members buying an unlocked iPhone from Singapore for a hell of a lot more than 499.

If you buy a 3G in the US, you are stuck with AT&T unless you perform a hardware unlock.

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Paying full price does not unlock your iPhone or warrant you getting that service. There have been reports of EIC members buying an unlocked iPhone from Singapore for a hell of a lot more than 499.

If you buy a 3G in the US, you are stuck with AT&T unless you perform a hardware unlock.
Sorry I am a little new to this. I thought that the new 3g could not be unlocked or used with any other carrier (in the US) besides At&T. Or am I thinking jail broken? Sorry I am still new to the community.

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Can anyone help me here? I have searched, but I am unsure as to how recently updated the posts I found are.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
iPhone 3g cannot be software unlocked yet. It can be done via hardware unlock but in my opinion that way isn't too reliable.

You can jailbreak, which will open the OS to third party software that you cannot get on iTunes.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Jailbreaking is a nice option to have. If you don't like it, you can always revert back to the Original System.