Painting headphone cables black?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Here's an odd request.

I recently replaced the earbuds on my iPhone headset with some Etymotic ER6i Isolator drivers so now I have a headset that has great quality sound plus a mic.

I have been using some black ER6i earbuds on my iPod when I ride my motorcycle but I'd like to start using the iPhone as my entertainment, along with the new headset. The problem is, it's white and stands out against anything I'm wearing like a neon sign. I would prefer them to be black so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to paint or color the cables with something that won't just rub off. I've tried a Sharpie and other permanent markers but they rub off.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Here's an odd request.

I recently replaced the earbuds on my iPhone headset with some Etymotic ER6i Isolator drivers so now I have a headset that has great quality sound plus a mic.

I have been using some black ER6i earbuds on my iPod when I ride my motorcycle but I'd like to start using the iPhone as my entertainment, along with the new headset. The problem is, it's white and stands out against anything I'm wearing like a neon sign. I would prefer them to be black so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to paint or color the cables with something that won't just rub off. I've tried a Sharpie and other permanent markers but they rub off.
You'd probably have to find a dye for rubber/soft plastic, something that's absorbed so that it won't rub off.

Blueline29

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis
I know Krylon makes a spray paint called Fusion that's designed to molecularly bond with plastic; I'm not sure if they make something similar that can be applied with a brush. You might also check on the paints that they sell in craft stores near the model car kits, since they're obviously designed to be used on non-porous surfaces, but I'd ask somebody at the store before using either just to make sure that the paint won't damage the surface that you're painting. :)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I did a little research on RIT dye and it seems like it might work but I'll also check into that Krylon stuff. I could spray it if that's the only form it comes in.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I "painted" my original headphones cord orange with a dry erase marker. It worked well for me and required a minimal amount of touch-up. So if you see an Expo dry erase marker in black, give it a shot. See if it works for you.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I "painted" my original headphones cord orange with a dry erase marker. It worked well for me and required a minimal amount of touch-up. So if you see an Expo dry erase marker in black, give it a shot. See if it works for you.
Dry Erase markers rub off almost instantly but thanks for the suggestion.

I stopped by the local hobby store and the guy there said the headphone cord was actually made of a good quality vinyl and that it would have to be dyed with special dye. He said the only thing that might work is some automotive paint designed to paint vinyl bumpers. I looked for some online and found it but the cost was more than I was willing to spend.

My final solution is to just re-route the wires so they aren't so visible. Sometimes the simplest way is the best.