Pairing 2 Blue Tooth Devices To the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Is it possible to have both my Jawbone and Apple BT devices paired on the iPhone, or do I have to delete one of them before adding a second ? Thanks in advance.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
you can definitely have more than one headset/device paired with your iPhone - i have 6 devices in my paired list on my iPhone (car, a few headsets/car kits, a gps unit, my macbook just for kicks).

but are you asking if you can have audio routed to more than once bluetooth device at the same time? i don't think you can do that with the iPhone...

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
you can definitely have more than one headset/device paired with your iPhone - i have 6 devices in my paired list on my iPhone (car, a few headsets/car kits, a gps unit, my macbook just for kicks).

but are you asking if you can have audio routed to more than once bluetooth device at the same time? i don't think you can do that with the iPhone...
Correct on all counts macgirl. You can create multiple BT pairs with the iPhone, and it will save them all. You can only have ONE active BT connection at a time though. Basically, the first device in the phones list it sees, it will create a connection with that device. Unfortunately, switching that active connection is a PAIN, as the only way to do this is to either delete the pairing you don't want, or turn off the devices you don't want. The iPhone doesn't have any facility to "switch" the pairing on the fly.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Correct on all counts macgirl. You can create multiple BT pairs with the iPhone, and it will save them all. You can only have ONE active BT connection at a time though. Basically, the first device in the phones list it sees, it will create a connection with that device. Unfortunately, switching that active connection is a PAIN, as the only way to do this is to either delete the pairing you don't want, or turn off the devices you don't want. The iPhone doesn't have any facility to "switch" the pairing on the fly.
Thanks macgirl and prelector ! What is the quickest or easiest way to change from say my Apple BT to either my Jawbone or Motorola BTs if they are all paired and listed in order ? Do you just go into General Settings>Phone>BT and pick and choose which of the 3 devices you want to employ for a partcular call ? Thanks again !

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Thanks macgirl and prelector ! What is the quickest or easiest way to change from say my Apple BT to either my Jawbone or Motorola BTs if they are all paired and listed in order ? Do you just go into General Settings>Phone>BT and pick and choose which of the 3 devices you want to employ for a partcular call ? Thanks again !
Unfortunately, there is no easy or quick way. Basically, which ever one turns on first is the ONLY one that's going to be available, until it's turned off.

If you're looking to switch between them on a regular basis... you're not going to be happy.

As to how to connect them, assuming they are already paired? Just turn on the headset. If it supports auto-connect (and it should), it will find the iPhone and connect automatically (provided BT is ON in the iPhone). When you're done with that headset, just turn it off.

If you've got BT Device A turned on, and paired, and you want to switch to BT B, then the only way to do this is to:

First, turn off BT A
Second, turn on BT B

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Unfortunately, there is no easy or quick way. Basically, which ever one turns on first is the ONLY one that's going to be available, until it's turned off.

If you're looking to switch between them on a regular basis... you're not going to be happy.

As to how to connect them, assuming they are already paired? Just turn on the headset. If it supports auto-connect (and it should), it will find the iPhone and connect automatically (provided BT is ON in the iPhone). When you're done with that headset, just turn it off.

If you've got BT Device A turned on, and paired, and you want to switch to BT B, then the only way to do this is to:

First, turn off BT A
Second, turn on BT B
Thanks for the help, Prelector ! That answers my question completely. Cheers !