Palm Pre competition? hahahaha

Jun 17, 2009
ok so the new palm pre is supposed to be the iPhone killer? this is completly besides me I mean honestly its so ugly, and its ability to multi task isn't even really multi tasking because you cant do 2 things at once you have to exit out of your current "app" and then choose another one? the phone could never compete with the look, speed, music, video, app store, or durrability the iPhone has to offer. I mean the whole thing is made out of plastic.... am I the only one that thinks this or does everyone else think the Pre is better than the iPhone?

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
ok so the new palm pre is supposed to be the iPhone killer? this is completly besides me I mean honestly its so ugly, and its ability to multi task isn't even really multi tasking because you cant do 2 things at once you have to exit out of your current "app" and then choose another one? the phone could never compete with the look, speed, music, video, app store, or durrability the iPhone has to offer. I mean the whole thing is made out of plastic.... am I the only one that thinks this or does everyone else think the Pre is better than the iPhone?

What kind of responses do you think you're going to get on an iPhone forum ?

Of course everyone (or at least most) people here are going to say the iPhone is much better, otherwise we would have bought the Palm Pre.

There are different phones out there that meet different needs, but the Pre is certainly no " iPhone killer ".

Just my two cents.

Jun 17, 2009
I posted it here cause I hate to deal with those people who will argue and be completly wrong. I mean the phone does not even come close to what the iPhone can do its the phone that people will buy cause they don't want to switch or cant afford it. I didn't expect to be attacked on an iPhone forum either.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't "argue" about mobile phones. But that's just me.

But if you ask me, the iPhone wins without question.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
So some Pres at the mall getting zagged up... Phone is all hype just like the Voyager when iPhone first started...

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't mean for this to be an argue sorry guys. I just wanted it to be an ego boost cause I just spend 400 on the new iPhone and I want to make sure no other phones even come close to the god of phones =) sorry for any confustion

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Maybe this would be a good thread to post ideas on what you think would make an "iPhone killer." Personally, I think it can't be done because it would require a better ipod that syncs to iTunes and the only people that can do that is Apple. Yes you might be able to do it until iTunes gets updated, but its not the same. Second it would need massive storage to compete with the 32GB iPhone. Another important feature is the touchscreen. It has to be the same technology because the iPhone doesn't use a standard touch screen because it requires no pressure. Now that I think about it, there are too many things about the iPhone that already make it better. The only competition it has is the next gen iPhone IMO.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I didn't mean for this to be an argue sorry guys. I just wanted it to be an ego boost cause I just spend 400 on the new iPhone and I want to make sure no other phones even come close to the god of phones =) sorry for any confustion

The thing is, it doesn't matter, right? You love your iPhone... it works for you... why must we be evangelical?

We don't have to be. Just enjoy your iPhone quietly. It needs no advertising. :)

Jun 17, 2009
OH but I think it does lol. It is not only the perfect phone its sexy, and there are just too many things that make it better than that Pre. I don't like the fake media about iPhone killer. you know sometimes its just frustrating. but I also don't know what evangelical means lol =) LONG LIVE THE iPhone!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The thing is, it doesn't matter, right? You love your iPhone... it works for you... why must we be evangelical?

We don't have to be. Just enjoy your iPhone quietly. It needs no advertising. :)
some people have to say it out loud repeatedly until they believe it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
you know sometimes its just frustrating.
No... no I don't. If someone says a phone is better than the iPhone, it affects me not, because I know the iPhone is perfect for me. Can't you take comfort in that fact alone?

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Well, I owned a Pre and it is a fantastic phone; in many ways comparable to the 3gS and in some ways better. If Palm offered a decent family plan with the Pre I'd have kept it. You should really have experience with something before you trash it.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
So some Pres at the mall getting zagged up... Phone is all hype just like the Voyager when iPhone first started...

Buddy, I have no freaking clue what zagged up means. Neither does Google. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zagged+up Please school me in your new word skillz. I gotta know what the hell zagged up means.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Mainstream media will call any new phone a "potential iPhone killer". The Pre is the first phone that is on par with the iPhone and in some ways better.

Yes, it does offer multi-tasking. You don't exit an app. You keep it running in a "card". Moving between apps is as easy as a swipe (if you are using advanced gestures). Don't knock it, as multi-tasking on the Pre rocks.

Build quality definitely goes to the iPhone -- no doubt about it.

As an iPhone owner, the Pre is a good thing, since Palm pushes the software envelope in a different direction, one that perhaps will find it's way into future versions of the iPhone OS. There are plenty of great things in webOS and now you can bet Apple is looking it over.

Remember, there are plenty of ex-Apple employess working at Palm. As a result, the Pre has some very apple-eque qualities.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
like chris said, the Pre is very apple-esque. They have created the best multitasking system of any phone that I have ever seen. many things on the Pre are on par and there's quite a few things better than the iPhone.

I had a Pre and the 3GS. I spent a lot of time this weekend making a list of advantages for each phone and while it was close I ended up keeping the 3GS. This wasn't just phone related as carrier related things factored in as well.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
I played with my buddies mom's pre and i hated the keyboard. also i agree with what someone said multitasking but you have to go back to open something else. As fast as the 3gs is i don't see the need to multitask really.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I played with my buddies mom's pre and i hated the keyboard. also i agree with what someone said multitasking but you have to go back to open something else. As fast as the 3gs is i don't see the need to multitask really.
The whole point of multitasking is to be able to keep an app open and not lose what you are doing within that app. With the pre all your apps are kept open unless you close them, all you do is swipe between them. With the iPhone you have to close completely out of an app, lose what you are doing. Try using Pandora or Sirius/XM and reply to a text message. It will completely stop playing music. Anybody who says there is no need for multitasking is just delusional. Yes the iPhone is great, but nothing is perfect.