Palm Pre vs iPhone

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For those wondering how the Pre stacks up to the iPhone (from a size perspective only), here's my unboxing of the Palm Pre.

Haven't spent much time with the Palm Pre, but feel free if you have questions about the device.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Have you cut yourself yet? ;)

I'm most curious about battery life and OS speed when multiple apps are running.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Heheh - I was about to complain about the OP posting another Palm Pre vs iPhone thread.

Sure glad I didn't - I would've been doubled-teamed! :laugh2:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Chris

Looking forward to your thorough review.

I think in the end that both the iPhone and Pre will provide similar multi-media services, and perform them well. I'd be greatly interested in seeing to what extent these services depend on the adequacy of the 3G network and the adequacy of the wireless radios.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Chirs, nice unboxing review and comparison. There is definitely some features I like about the Pre. I will stay with the new iPhone though.

Napoleon and Psylichon..you guys aren't jumping ship over to the Pre are you? LOL

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Napoleon and Psylichon..you guys aren't jumping ship over to the Pre are you? LOL
No way. There are several things about the Pre that really turn me off. I like it as an alternative, and it definitely has some features that will drive the market, which is cool. But for me, the big negatives are:

1. Poor app support at this time
2. Cramped keyboard
3. Media support via iTunes (how long will that last?)
4. No Copy & Paste in SMS or web pages? (I know, ironic. But 3.0 does it right)

Regardless, I'm anxious to see how Apple responds in a couple days...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have only one question: will it blend?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
No way. There are several things about the Pre that really turn me off. I like it as an alternative, and it definitely has some features that will drive the market, which is cool. But for me, the big negatives are:

2. Cramped keyboard

Great points. We also should add the fact that it is on Sprint.

The key selling point for me would be adequacy of network coverage - home, work and travel points. A phone that doesn't drop a lot of calls, and signal strength that is not misleading (shows 5 bars, but no network connection is available) are important elements. In my opinion, Palm made a mistake by going with Sprint. Verizon could have been much more effective.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From what I've read, the Pre gets really nice data rates. But I haven't read much to its voice reliability. Should be telling as the reports start pouring in from nationwide.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

2. Cramped keyboard

Also, 8 GB instead of 16GB/32GB for the next iPhone, video recording, and the deep pockets of Apple being a financially strong company with a very strong Research and Development team, which means amazing iPhones in the future.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I knew I forgot some big things. 8GB and no video were it!

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA

2. Cramped keyboard

and I wonder how they will expain in the courts that gestures does not infringe
on Apple's copywrite or patent... Or whatever it's under.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Very nice Pre reveal, Chris. Physically, I don't like it at all. It looks like a toy next to the iPhone. Too short, too rounded and too thick. Palm fans may love it, though.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
and I wonder how they will expain in the courts that gestures does not infringe
on Apple's copywrite or patent... Or whatever it's under.
We don't want to go there. Both Apple and Palm infringe on each other's patents. Months ago, Apple's Cook threatened to take action to protect its intellectual property. That noise has died down. Both sides don't want to take this to court. Both companies will end up losers while the attorney's make a killing.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Very nice Pre reveal, Chris. Physically, I don't like it at all. It looks like a toy next to the iPhone. Too short, too rounded and too thick. Palm fans may love it, though.
I agree, the screen is too small for my tastes,...cant really appreciate video, and all the great apps out there on a smaller screen, the iPhone spoiled me with its 3.5 size...the pre almost looks like a cheap flip phone though.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I spent good money to be the first one in the forum with a Pre (yes I'm vain like that :laugh2:) Not only will I not get it until 10:01 tomorrow but Chris has beat me to it. Darn I should have put up much more money! HaHa. Enjoy yours Chris I am happy for you. I will have to chime in tomorrow with my thoughts. Mark

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I spent good money to be the first one in the forum with a Pre (yes I'm vain like that :laugh2:) Not only will I not get it until 10:01 tomorrow but Chris has beat me to it. Darn I should have put up much more money! HaHa. Enjoy yours Chris I am happy for you. I will have to chime in tomorrow with my thoughts. Mark
Mine doesn't count, since it goes back in 7 days. I'll be there tomorrow morning bright and early (with Starbuck's in hand). I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one on the line with a Palm Pre.:p Maybe I can use it to move ahead in the line. Bribe them with "gestures tricks".