Palringo vs Beejive IM

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I've been a long time user of Palringo and I love it.

From what I've read, Beejive claims to do more than Palringo, but I don't see where it does.

Palringo, to me, has a much better interface, is very stable, and is easier to use. Best of all, it's FREE, compared to Beejive's $16.99.

Any thoughts?

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Im with you on palingo i use it and love it. I can put all my im services on it send pics and voice with it. I wouldn't spend 17$ bucks on beejive it cant do more than palingo can it?

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I bought and loved Beejive when I had my iPhone. Never used Palringo, so I can't really make a comparison. I loved the interface and ease of use of BeejiveIM so much, that i also got it for my BB :)

I

iphoneappreviewer

IMO, BeejiveIM is way better. Completely worth the $16 bucks. Even just for the landscape typing mode! In the latest upgrade (just came out a couple days ago V2) they've added picture and voice support. The interface is amazing and there's so many settings.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Palringo already has picture and voice support.

I think the only thing that palringo doesn't have that Beejive does is the landscape view, which to me isn't a big deal.

From the screenshts I've seen, palringo has a much more attractive interface.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Palringo already has picture and voice support.

I think the only thing that palringo doesn't have that Beejive does is the landscape view, which to me isn't a big deal.

From the screenshts I've seen, palringo has a much more attractive interface.
BeeJive and Palringo are very similar. I've got both. I much prefer the UI on palringo so if I'm actively using IM I'll use Palringo. However BeeJive has a "push" implementation so you can stay connected and receive and email when someone IM's you. That might be attractive to some. I found it annoying after a while but server costs is probably a large part of the pricetag on BeeJive.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Well if your iPhone is jailbroken, you can use backgrounder to run an app in the background. So, I can stay logged in all day and can still receive messages.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Once Apple releases the push notifications then palringo will do everything beejive can. Palringo even has different skins if you don't like the way it looks.

ebelp

Oct 6, 2008
NY
BeeJive and Palringo are very similar. I've got both. I much prefer the UI on palringo so if I'm actively using IM I'll use Palringo. However BeeJive has a "push" implementation so you can stay connected and receive and email when someone IM's you. That might be attractive to some. I found it annoying after a while but server costs is probably a large part of the pricetag on BeeJive.
Once Apple releases the push notifications then palringo will do everything beejive can. Palringo even has different skins if you don't like the way it looks.
Guys, Palringo already has push notification. Therefore, it is almost identical in features to Beejive minus the landscape chat view and the SMS/Contacts integration.

If there's anything else Beejive can do that makes it worth the $15.99 I'd like to know. I've been debating on trying out Beejive, but I can't justify the cost yet since Palringo is such a close competitor.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I have both, I also have MobileChat as I was a huge fan when the original iPhone was king. I really prefer BeeJive. I'm a fan from when I used to use it on Blackberry and Windows Mobile. I find Beejive very stable, and very useful. Someone has also already said about landscape typing. I don't find anything wrong with Palringo though it is a good piece of software and it has caught up with BeeJive. Since I already own Beejive, I bought it the day it was released I will still with it, but if you are looking for a good deal then Palringo is some good stuff!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been using Palringo since they added push notification. While landscape texting would be cool, I don't feel I need it. The only thing I wish Palringo would do is keep you "connected" via push email for 24 hours like Beejive. Having to login every 3 hours to reconnect is annoying. Plus you have to join palringo to make it work. I don't need another messaging service, just give me AIM and Gtalk, thanks. :)

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Like I said earlier, go jailbreak it, install "backgrounder", and you can stay logged in forever (or at least until you totally exit out of it).

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Never used beejive, i don't see mysell paying that price to Instant message (etc) to someone, they've always been free.

Palingro is easy to use, FAR better than AIM or mobichat. Also it stays active for 3 hours even when the phone sleeps. Theres no issue with it that i can find?

To each his own, however when you really think about it AIM is free, MSN is free, Yahoo is free...Palingro is free. Beejive = 16bucks.

All you're doing is using an Instant message interface...Which started out being free if i can recall.

*rumour has it: Palingro will soon be using landscape mode.

Dec 8, 2008
N
Lol

Beejive as it keeps you connected 24/7. And it doesn't require a laggy jailbroke iPhone, plus landscape texting with nice emotion animations.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Beejive as it keeps you connected 24/7. And it doesn't require a laggy jailbroke iPhone, plus landscape texting with nice emotion animations.

lmao @ you.

Laggy jailbroke iPhone?....Ive been jailbroken since 2.0 and i have no lag altho sum have experienced it.

Palingro stays connected for up to 3hours even when the phone sleeps...should u get an IM during those 3 hours, opening up palingro to reply will extend you another 3 hours when the phone goes back to sleep. Essentially it stays open for as long as you want...did i mention with no jailbreak program. I'd rather have it work like this instead of consuming my battery life all day when im not getting IM's or i cant reply to them. (class w/e)

Palingro's next update has landscape texting.

Free with same features wins anytime.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
lmao @ you.

Laggy jailbroke iPhone?....Ive been jailbroken since 2.0 and i have no lag altho sum have experienced it.

Palingro stays connected for up to 3hours even when the phone sleeps...should u get an IM during those 3 hours, opening up palingro to reply will extend you another 3 hours when the phone goes back to sleep. Essentially it stays open for as long as you want...did i mention with no jailbreak program. I'd rather have it work like this instead of consuming my battery life all day when im not getting IM's or i cant reply to them. (class w/e)

Palingro's next update has landscape texting.

Free with same features wins anytime.
From what I can tell... Beejive's best feature is that you stay logged into the server for 24 hours after you shut down the app and/or put the iPhone to sleep. 24 hours is certainly better than 3, and it better matches my use of chat. OTOH... my 25 yo daughter probably never goes more than 3 hours without chatting (even at night)... so she probably wouldn't care at all.

Actually... this is the single biggest area where she finds the iPhone to be significantly worse than her previous Blackberry. On the BB the chat application works with BB's legendary push service... her chat client can be on 24/7 even if the phone is asleep. It is no worse on the battery than if the phone is waiting for an incoming call. I did ask her if she wanted to switch back to her BB. She said that even though chat is better on the BB (her primary app)... she said that the rest of the iPhone (especially the web) is SOOOO much better that she does not want to revert back to the BB.

I bought Beejive when it was on sale for $13 based on a high number of recommendations that rated it #1. Whether that makes sense for each of you is certainly a personal decision. Given that I have all 4 of our iPhones authorized on the same iTunes account... it only came out to about $3.50 per phone... so it seemed cheap enough to me. I honestly do not know if I would be missing anything by using Palringo... except for the 24 connectivity even when the iPhone is sleeping.

/Jim

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
What I meant was palingro stays open for 3 hours even when sleeping. If you get another IM during that time it will give you another 3 hours for a total of 6. It's kinda exponential therfore it can be 24hours based on use.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Actually...I LOVE Beejive over Palringo. It's WAY more stable, and I like the shake-to-switch-to-a-new-chat thing. I still can't believe Beejive is $16.99 :(.