Pandora - greatest app ever!

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
I am in love with Pandora radio. I had XM radio until a few months ago. This is so much better. I just took a 5 hour road trip and Pandora never missed a beat. WOW!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I am in love with Pandora radio. I had XM radio until a few months ago. This is so much better. I just took a 5 hour road trip and Pandora never missed a beat. WOW!
yes Pandora is a great app. Pandora is the main reason I decided to jailbreak my phone, so that I could get Backgrounder and run Pandora in the background while in another app.

Also check out Slacker. It's pretty nice as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
Ohhhhhh now I know why I need to jailbreak my phone! When jb will I be able to receive calls? Yesterday when running pandora I missed calls.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I use Pandora all the time in my car... and I'm still rocking a V1 iPhone, so I'm pretty impressed with the service. Never misses a beat.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I use Pandora all the time in my car... and I'm still rocking a V1 iPhone, so I'm pretty impressed with the service. Never misses a beat.
dave are you jailbroken and using it with backgrounder? it and slacker work well when i put them in the background and go to a different app however, i have not had a call come in yet with them running. I just jailbroke my phone saturday so haven't spent much time with it. I'm curious if it just kills it when a call comes in or if it actually keeps playing over your call. that could get annoying.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am not jailbroken currently, so no backgrounder. And because I'm V1, I get no calls when using Pandora on the go. I don't normally make/receive a lot of calls anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Does "rocking" your V1 help keep it charged? Cool idea for a perpetually charged iPhone. :)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I am not jailbroken currently, so no backgrounder. And because I'm V1, I get no calls when using Pandora on the go. I don't normally make/receive a lot of calls anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
oh yeah, I guess since you are EDGE no need for backgrounder unless you switch between apps a lot while listening to it. I rarely receive calls as well, so not a biggie.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
on my road trip yesterday, since I was going out of town, my hubby wanted to make sure I was doing ok. he was starting to panic a little since I wasn't answering my phone. The iPhone popped up a screen that I had voicemail, but it never rang for his calls. Of course, going 70 mph, I really didn't need to be holding a phone and going down an interstate full of traffic.......:p

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Pandora is the main reason I was somewhat disappointed with V3. I want it to run in the background! I realize chat apps all the time can kill the battery but Pandora should be just fine. I love it too though. I connect my phone to my iHome and play pandora throughout my apartment all the time. I didn't know I couldn't receive calls while listening to it though. I always get SMS though?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Calls won't come through if you're using data over Edge. They will on 3G, but unless they leave a voicemail, you won't even know you're missing calls on a V1 or a 3G on Edge.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
@psylichon Any certain reason you are not jailbroken?

also, you said "Calls won't come through if you're using data over Edge. They will on 3G, but unless they leave a voicemail, you won't even know you're missing calls on a V1 or a 3G on Edge."

so if I am on my iPhone and searching around on the internet, I will miss calls no matter what site I am on? that is if I am on Edge? will i miss calls if I am on wi-fi and searching the net?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
on my road trip yesterday, since I was going out of town, my hubby wanted to make sure I was doing ok. he was starting to panic a little since I wasn't answering my phone. The iPhone popped up a screen that I had voicemail, but it never rang for his calls. Of course, going 70 mph, I really didn't need to be holding a phone and going down an interstate full of traffic.......:p
You know I think that answers my question. I have noticed I miss my wife's calls at times. Voicemail pops up and I think to myself "how the hell did I miss that phone call? I have earphones in, I should have heard it!" I guess that's the problem!

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I love Pandora, but I have become a big fan of Slacker radio lately as well. Might want to check it out, if you're looking for decent alternatives!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
@psylichon any certain reason you are not jailbroken?

also, you said "Calls won't come through if you're using data over Edge. They will on 3G, but unless they leave a voicemail, you won't even know you're missing calls on a V1 or a 3G on Edge."

so if I am on my iPhone and searching around on the internet, I will miss calls no matter what site I am on? that is if I am on Edge? will i miss calls if I am on wi-fi and searching the net?
If you are using the phone's data, yes, while the phone is downloading a page you will miss a call. the AT&T EDGE network cannot handle simultaneous data and voice, only their 3G network will do so. As for Wifi, the data is coming from the router you are connected to thereforee not using AT&T's data. Calls will come in when using wifi.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
When i background pandora and a call comes in pandora goes quiet. I assume that calls override all audio on the iPhone no matter what.

Backgrounder seems to especially useful for using the phone in the car.

Mavery003

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I use slacker at work on my PC and in the car with my commute of over an hour. My whole commute is in a 3g service area so I get calls all the time, and slacker is great. I have a whole station very personalized to my likings.

The only 2 things with slacker I don't like are:
1)Ads on slacker basic vs. premium are beginning to become more and more frequent. It used to be like one ad an hour!
2)The program doesn't adjust to horizontal view like Pandora does. I set up my own mount in the car that will only hold the iPhone horizontally so everything is sideways! Pandora adjusts which is cool. I haven't used it much though...might start looking into it more.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I checked out slacker just today and I prefer Pandora. I think the interface is just much simpler, which i prefer. Plus I do already have 2 stations I've spent a lot of time customizing.
When i background pandora and a call comes in pandora goes quiet. I assume that calls override all audio on the iPhone no matter what.

Backgrounder seems to especially useful for using the phone in the car.
Is that on V1 iPhone? If I could start receiving calls while I use Pandora that would convince me to finally jailbreak.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
where I am in Arkansas, we are only on Edge, no 3G service. but I would rather have my AC/DC, Van Halen, Motley Crue and Kiss than talk to someone anyway!:laugh2:

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I checked out slacker just today and I prefer Pandora. I think the interface is just much simpler, which i prefer. Plus I do already have 2 stations I've spent a lot of time customizing.

Is that on V1 iPhone? If I could start receiving calls while I use Pandora that would convince me to finally jailbreak.
No its on a 3g but i have tried my sister's v1 like this as well and it worked.