Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, What an application !, but what about the ram? FIXED THREAD LINK

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Hi Guys, Sorry about the last attempt at this thread, i added the trade mark sign and caused the thread link not to work.

Right First of all, i have been using parallels Desktop 8 and what an amazing application, so much better than any other virtual software. I use virtual software at college, and im going to switch all my virtual pcs over to parallels.
there are times that have have to have three virtual pcs running, i will give an example:

1 Server running server 2008
2 clients running different OS

obviously this will cause strain on the RAM and my macbook pro has 4GB ram. Should i upgrade to 8GB or 16GB RAM ?

Does anyone else use, Parallels 8, how many pc's do you run and what OS do you run and how much RAM does your host have?

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks, that's a forum issue that I've yet to resolve.:eek:
Yeah haha, im glad between you and Europa had noticed and knew because I never even clicked to it being that because i thought no one was was interested haha. It was Europa who notified me that the thread was not working haha.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ah thanks, will just get 8, it's cheaper and should do the job perfect to be honest.
Will go with your option then !
Cheers Europa

You used parallels ?
Nope, I haven't ever used Parallels.

I did upgrade my RAM from 2 to 4 GB in my late '08 unibody MacBook a few years ago, though. It was a piece of cake. I tried to break into a Sony Vaio shortly after that and it was damn near impossible. Easy upgrades are one of many pros to getting a MacBook. iFixIt has step-by-step tutorials for pretty much any task for any MacBook, iMac, etc.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I've used Parallels a lot, and agree that it's a superb app.

You should definitely get the 8GB and may well want to consider an upgrade to a Mac that will take 16GB, if that's within your budget. If you're needing to run 3 virtual machines concurrently, that's going to put a big strain on even 8GB if you want all of them and your host machine to perform well.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I've used Parallels a lot, and agree that it's a superb app.

You should definitely get the 8GB and may well want to consider an upgrade to a Mac that will take 16GB, if that's within your budget. If you're needing to run 3 virtual machines concurrently, that's going to put a big strain on even 8GB if you want all of them and your host machine to perform well.
Ah cheers, I'm just trying to find out what my MacBook Pro takes, as I mentioned previously crucial.com says I can buy 16GB
But Europa showed me a link from Apple stating is can only upgrade to 8GB?

Sent using iCafe app