Particle bumping

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The people at CERN are pretty intense. I learned about CERN from Angels and Demons from Dan Brown. After I read the book I did some research and the stuff they do there is really mind-boggling. With this particular experiment I guess they're trying to create dark matter which could (in some peoples' eyes) create a black hole and destroy our solar system. Pretty cool stuff.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
The people at CERN are pretty intense. I learned about CERN from Angels and Demons from Dan Brown. After I read the book I did some research and the stuff they do there is really mind-boggling. With this particular experiment I guess they're trying to create dark matter which could (in some peoples' eyes) create a black hole and destroy our solar system. Pretty cool stuff.
My 10 year old heard this and is freaking out. She said something to her sister like "it doesn't matter-we will be dead by then anyway". I only heard that part of the conversation. I said "what?" And she told me that someone was going to create a black hole and suck us all in.

I think this stuff is interesting, although I am not knowledgeable about what they are doing. I will spend some time trying to understand what they are doing.

TSheridan330

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
the best and the brightest minds are working on this. I doubt they would overlook something potentially dangerous. Sounds like bad hype.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's a common complaint by a small part of the scientific community, but most are not worried about it.

They're actually building a bigger one in the states (go figure).

One of my favorite authors (David Brin) wrote a book regarding people making a black hole for renewable energy... obviously it goes rogue, and starts sucking away at the inside of the earth. Two of the characters figure out how to create gravity lasers between the rogue black hole, and one still controlled to kill each other with... The coolest part is in the middle of all that, the internet develops its own consciousness...

Anyway, the discussion (plus the fact we're on an internet message board) reminded me of it...

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
BTW, I did tell her not to worry about that. I did not write that in my post.

I guess we are already destroying the planet, so what is a little messing around on the molecular level going to hurt? :p

I find all this interesting about how we are made and how everything is made. I have to trust the scientists know what they are doing. I am really not worried about black holes.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
how did she even come to that conclusion? some clueless gradeschool teacher repeating an article they read? Way to scare kids away from the scientific community...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, the doomsdayists have been having a field day with this one. Morons. I read a woman in India even killed herself to avoid the certain doomsday. Those with a fear of science are one of my own personal biggest fears.

BTW, I love particle physics. Anyone else here? Recommend any good books? I can...

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Yeah, the doomsdayists have been having a field day with this one. Morons. I read a woman in India even killed herself to avoid the certain doomsday. Those with a fear of science are one of my own personal biggest fears.

BTW, I love particle physics. Anyone else here? Recommend any good books? I can...
While I certainly know for a fact that it is impossible for a blackhole to form b/c of this machine, science on the other hand is something to be feared on a certain level.

Honestly, bio-chemical agents, high tech weaponry, etc....ALL science. Through various mean of science, humanity can do some very awful, dreaded things. I fear science when used for methods that go against the purpose of science IMO, but not fear that is irrational.

Perhaps that is what you were getting across, and through which I also agree.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I guess we are already destroying the planet, so what is a little messing around on the molecular level going to hurt? :p
I don't think we're destroying the planet at all. We may be "destroying" the particular ecosystem which allows our life cycle to survive on the planet, but the planet itself is in great shape.

Big difference.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
True. We are taking a big stinky dump on the ecosystem...have been for hundreds (if not thousands) of years. The planet is very resilient, and can heal faster than we give her credit for. I am a tree hugging hippie when it comes to being eco-friendly. Heck, I am even using Eco-Friendly paints in my new home. Eco-Friendly carpet and flooring, too (less dangerous chemicals that are harsh to us AND the earth). I recycle, i don't use plastic or paper bags at the store but rather the reusable kind, etc. I eat organic vegitables and foods (no growth hormones, no pesticides, organically grown, fair trade, etc.) Sure, I say I do it for the earth, which I do....but it really means I do it for the betterment of my own life and health, and for ecosystem WE and other living matter requires to live off of. Every little step counts. I am not angel, but I do what I can to do my part to live responsibly on our planet.

The majority of our current behaviors/methods do not have a good impact on the planet or earth, that is true. Worst case scenario is humanity dies off, and the planet will keep rocking it old school without us. The planet is not dependent on us, but rather our actions have had a negative effect on the environment, which in turn potentially threatens our way of life.

Science is applied well in the arena of living responsibly, where historically it was used without the knowledge of the potential negative and disastrous effects it had on our surroundings. Science can reverse some of our missteps, and lead to a better living arrangement with our planet. Science, when used for the right reasons, betters us as a species. I believe in massive funding and support for programs that make us less of a pollutant based society, and making us less dependent in oil. I support companies going "green" and acting with more logical alternatives.

Studying our origins is also beneficial, in helping us further understand how life in the greater context of things works and is created. Dark Mass is a relatively unknown, and I am sure as hell excited to see if they can find out how mass is created in the universe. They have no idea what they will find. They hope to find the God Particle, which in theory would be an amazing discovery. They may find nothing. They may find a completely new understanding of how life and mass is created, outside any current theory that has been generated before. WHo knows, but I am excited to find out.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
COOL picture. I can't seem to find any high rez pics that would fit and look awesome on my Macbook Pro's desktop....booooooo.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
While I certainly know for a fact that it is impossible for a blackhole to form b/c of this machine, science on the other hand is something to be feared on a certain level.

Honestly, bio-chemical agents, high tech weaponry, etc....ALL science. Through various mean of science, humanity can do some very awful, dreaded things. I fear science when used for methods that go against the purpose of science IMO, but not fear that is irrational.

Perhaps that is what you were getting across, and through which I also agree.
Careful, now...It's not the science you fear but the idiots financing these things....Scientifically speaking, we must trudge ahead and explore no matter what the conciquences....It is our natural instinct to make order out of chaos.
These idiot teachers and dumb ass people have no clue what they're talking about when discussing black holes. They should stick with their global warming lies...it's the same people saying this horseshit...

They will have us all living in caves by candle light if it was up to them...THANK GOD IT'S NOT!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
clearly it's safer to research weapons. No one complains about that stuff.

But throw a couple particles at each other... Woah, now... Be careful with that.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Interesting stuff, science has sure come a long way... i remember reading about the string theory, which says that we and all matter don't exist as we think, but are just vibrating strings of energy, which is in line with quantum physics. So to follow this line of reasoning would mean we are all connected (on the energy level) just at different vibrations. And to reason further we find then that death is really just an illusion (if you choose to believe what quantum physics has discovered) because energy never dies, it only changes form...maybe all this atom smashing has uncovered the source of everything...kinda hard to wrap the mind around this stuff...then again, we are not our minds.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Interesting stuff, science has sure come a long way... i remember reading about the string theory, which says that we and all matter don't exist as we think, but are just vibrating strings of energy, which is in line with quantum physics. So to follow this line of reasoning would mean we are all connected (on the energy level) just at different vibrations. And to reason further we find then that death is really just an illusion (if you choose to believe what quantum physics has discovered) because energy never dies, it only changes form...maybe all this atom smashing has uncovered the source of everything...kinda hard to wrap the mind around this stuff...then again, we are not our minds.
It's actually even deeper than that. Look up Bell's Theorum and Alain Aspect's experiment proving it to be true. I'm at work, so I can't get into it at this point, but the theorum basically states that all particles that, at one point, were quantumly entangled have the ability to exchange "information" faster than the speed of light. So, since all particles in the known universe were in a quantum entanglement at the point of the big bang, we are all connected at a level more implicate than time and space allow.

Look it up, this is no hippy speak... it's been proven for quite some time now. We haven't truly come to grips with the implications of this, however. As you can imagine, it's pretty huge... now go Google holographic theory in regards to particle physics.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't think we're destroying the planet at all. We may be "destroying" the particular ecosystem which allows our life cycle to survive on the planet, but the planet itself is in great shape.

Big difference.
I agree. I used the tongue smiley guy to try to show I am not a crazy tree hugger. However, I do not think there is anything wrong with trying to preserve some of the Earth as we found it.

Tex- I can do better personally. I do not recycle, although my new car is less of a gas hog.